banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help me before I go on a rampage (HSS superswitch wiring)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me before I go on a rampage (HSS superswitch wiring)

OK,
    So, I've been sitting here trying to figure out how to do this for like a week now but apparently I'm retarded. I've got a "Superswitch" here and I'm just baffled by it. Here's what it looks like...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	724c.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	5830619
    I'm going for an HSS configuration. Now here is the wiring that I'm shooting for...

1-bridge hum
    2-bridge/middle
    3-bridge & neck
    4-neck/middle
    5-neck

Right now the guitar has a standard 5-way with the volume being a push-pull (to split the bridge coil) and an SPDT switch to add in the neck pup ala Gilmour (which I don't believe is working correctly. It shuts the pickup off and on when in position 1 or 2 but, it doesn't seem to make a difference otherwise in any other position). I'd also like to have separate tone pot value for the bridge and neck, with the middle "wide open". I'm at my wits' end and with a 6-month old, in my small amount of free time that I do have this has been driving me out of my ****ing mind! Is this wiring scheme even possible? If someone can figure this out and draw/sketch up a schematic for me, I'll PP you some ducats.
    Yes, I'm that deperate. HALP!
    -Mike-

Originally posted by rhymes with metalchurch79
    I take peoples advice after i do some quick math to determine if the lie detector test determines they are full of sh**. Take their post count x 5minutes per post = how much time they didnt spend playing or working on their guitars. The Pros will be spotted right away.

Re: Please help me before I go on a rampage (HSS superswitch wiring)

So Position 1 is humbucking. Are 2 & 3 single coil then, or are you going to keep the push-pull?
    "It's a dog eat dog world out there and I'm wearing Milkbone underwear." - Norm Peterson

Comment

OK, I went ahead and worked something up for the following configuration:

Pos1: Bridge only, Humbucking, Bridge Tone pot
      Pos2: Bridge Single coil/Middle, Bridge Tone pot
      Pos3: Bridge Single coil/Neck, Bridge Tone pot
      Pos4: Neck/Middle, Neck Tone pot
      Pos5: Neck Only, Neck Tone pot

A note about the tone controls: You wanted a bridge tone, neck tone and no tone on middle. The problem there is that the middle pickup will always have a tone because it's always used with another pickup. Also, if you use bridge tone for all bridge positions, yand neck tone for all neck positions, then position 3 would have 2 tone pots which would interact. So I assumed that you would not want that, so I drew it so that Pos 3: Neck/Bridge will use just the Bridge control. If you'd rathe have that use the neck tone pot, it's a simple change to make that happen. If you'd rather have both tone pots active in Pos3, then that's a bit more of a change, but still pretty easy.

So let me know if this will work for you, or if you need something changed or have a question.

Schematic:

Name:	SrDeMaFp 1.jpg
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	5772637

Wiring Diagram:

Name:	SrDeMaFp W1.jpg
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	5772636
      Last edited by Demina; 10-27-2013, 01:20 PM.
      "It's a dog eat dog world out there and I'm wearing Milkbone underwear." - Norm Peterson

Comment

Originally posted by Demina View Post

A note about the tone controls: You wanted a bridge tone, neck tone and no tone on middle. The problem there is that the middle pickup will always have a tone because it's always used with another pickup. Also, if you use bridge tone for all bridge positions, yand neck tone for all neck positions, then position 3 would have 2 tone pots which would interact. So I assumed that you would not want that, so I drew it so that Pos 3: Neck/Bridge will use just the Bridge control. If you'd rathe have that use the neck tone pot, it's a simple change to make that happen. If you'd rather have both tone pots active in Pos3, then that's a bit more of a change, but still pretty easy.

So let me know if this will work, or if you need a change or have a question.

Schematic:
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]47605[/ATTACH]

Wiring Diagram:
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]47604[/ATTACH]
        you can use 1 of the 4 poles as a tone circuit. That is what i do.
        my strat runs a standard hsh switching setup with a bridge on mini toggle and a bridge and neck coil splitter. I have the top tone knob wired to the neck and neck mid position and the lower tone knob to the middle, mid bridge and bridge. I did this because i always hated the double loading the standard wiring gave you in either combo position (depending on which tone you wired the middle to)

The reason you can choose what positions the tone knobs act upon is because the superswitch has 5 individual wipers compared to the standard switches 3 (you get the inbetween sounds by jumpering across 2 of the wipers at once).
        If you really want to be creative, you can throw different value caps and resistors across the lugs and compensate for a bright pickup, a humbucker and single coil, etc. You can even use a 250k and a 500k pot and see what works better for each position. I have a 500k working everywhere but the middle position which is a single coil and 250k

To get the tones where you want, you merely leave out the jumper wire to the corresponding lug. If you want just the tones on the neck and bridge positions, just omit the 3 jumpers to the middle 3 lugs on the tone pole (closest to the volume pot)

Questions:

Do you want the bridge/neck position to include the bridge as a bucker or single?

Do you still want a neck on switch?

Comment

I should also mention that the wire colors may not match the pickups you have, and you may want different capacitor values. Those were just what was on the SD diagrams I used.

Comment

Originally posted by Demina View Post

So let me know if this will work for you, or if you need something changed or have a question.

Schematic:
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]47605[/ATTACH]

Wiring Diagram:
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]47604[/ATTACH]
            Hi everyone, I have a G&L Legacy that I’m converting to HSS Configuration. I’d like to do this position configuration and have the HB+neck in position 3, but what do I do in order to NOT auto split the humbucker? I’m just utilizing the 5-way super switch, I’m NOT using push pulls, toggles, or S1.

Comment

Working...
            X