Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Re-Wire Ideas for Fender Bass VI?

Default Re-Wire Ideas for Fender Bass VI?

What's the way to re-wire an original design Fender Bass VI LTD 2013 to get both Serial and Parallel capabilities.. OK to lose the Bass Kill Switch, so that position on the 4 position individual (On/Off) toggle switches can be lost and repurposed. Use the VI as a "BASS Guitar" rather than a "bass GUITAR." Your ideas for this or other mod suggestions are welcome. Currently have Fender MIJ Jag pups in all positions.

Amira-Maker

Default Re: Re-Wire Ideas for Fender Bass VI?

Could you draw up/find a diagram that shows what you have currently? I tried a quick Google search for the standard Bass IV wiring but couldn't find one.

Or is it just a Vol/Tone 4 On/Off DPDT switch setup?

Also, do you mind drilling one hole in the pickguard for an extra switch that will make it all much easier while giving you exactly what you want>

Has it been plugged in?

Don't point,don't even look at it,let's move along...
    "Scalloped & Stickered"
    A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Name:  Bass VI Parellel Wiring.jpg
Views: 12050
Size:  45.0 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	64 bass VI reissue wiring diagram.jpg 
Views:	8165 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	48177
    Quote Originally Posted by Myaccount876 View Post
    Could you draw up/find a diagram that shows what you have currently? I tried a quick Google search for the standard Bass IV wiring but couldn't find one.

Or is it just a Vol/Tone 4 On/Off DPDT switch setup?

Also, do you mind drilling one hole in the pickguard for an extra switch that will make it all much easier while giving you exactly what you want>
    See attached diagram. Don't mind drilling if need be. It's not a vintage. Also, here is a mod diagram I just found in offsetguitars.com...Opinions? Way to make it better?

Vile Chapel Region, Northern Continent, SL

What you have there with the former low-cut switch down, all pickups will be in parallel. With the switch up it will put the neck and middle in series, and the bridge in parallel with the combined neck and middle. In that position the bridge can be switched in and out as you like, but, since they're in series, turning off either the neck or middle will turn both of them off. If that's what you want then you're good to go and it's an easy way to do it.

If that's the basic idea you want, but you want a different pair to go in series, it's easy to change the circuit to accomplish that.

However, if you want to have any combination of series, or all pickups in series, then it will take some different switches. I'm not sure, but I think you could use the three DPDT pickup on/off switches to do that, but the problem is the slide switches you have do not have a center off, so all pickups would always be on. So you would really have to replace them with DPDT on-off-on toggles. I believe you could put some mini-toggles in place of the slide switches, or you could make a new switch plate for them.

Anyway, someone else may have better info, otherwise I'll have to see what I can find tomorrow. I do know there are some diagrams around that shows how to get any combo of series/parallel on a Strat, and what works on a Strat should work here.
    "It's a dog eat dog world out there and I'm wearing Milkbone underwear." - Norm Peterson

Funkfingers

Quote Originally Posted by SlopeRocker View Post
    Currently have Fender MIJ Jag pups in all positions.
    ^
    Begin by rectifying this state of affairs.

The Fender MIJ/CIJ pickup is to all intents their 57/62 vintage re-issue Stratocaster pickup but with equal length pole piece magnets and a smaller fibreboard baseplate. IMO, it possesses no tone whatsoever. All of the switchable permutations of three of these pickups will sound brown and sticky.

Luckily, your stock pickup covers will accommodate any American Jaguar pickups and Seymour Duncan SSL-3, -4, -5, -6 and -7 single coil pickups for Stratocaster. You will just need to enlarge the screw holes at the ends of the baseplate for direct mounting.

Try the Bass VI with decent pickups. Decide which sounds you like, then consider modifying the switching.

Amira-Maker

I can draw up a diagram for you. Sorry it took me a while.

EDIT:

Here it is.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan0020.jpg 
Views:	612 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	48284
    Last edited by Myaccount876; 11-22-2013 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Myaccount876 View Post
    I can draw up a diagram for you. Sorry it took me a while. Will post soon.
    Thanks so much!!!

Amira-Maker

Quote Originally Posted by SlopeRocker View Post
    Thanks so much!!!
    See my previous post above for diagram.

And no problem. Tell me if you want anything changed.

Vile Chapel Region, Northern Continent, SL

Here is another option using 3 toggle switches. It allows each pickup to be On in Parallel-Off-On in Series. A bit more to it than I thought, and you'd need to find the 4PDT switches.

http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/tech...ff-series.html

I would suggest keeping the same pots and cap that you have now. This circuit has different values, but it's for a Strat.
    Last edited by Demina; 11-22-2013 at 10:56 PM.
    "It's a dog eat dog world out there and I'm wearing Milkbone underwear." - Norm Peterson

Quote Originally Posted by Funkfingers View Post
    ^
    Begin by rectifying this state of affairs.

The Fender MIJ/CIJ pickup is to all intents their 57/62 vintage re-issue Stratocaster pickup but with equal length pole piece magnets and a smaller fibreboard baseplate. IMO, it possesses no tone whatsoever. All of the switchable permutations of three of these pickups will sound brown and sticky.

Luckily, your stock pickup covers will accommodate any American Jaguar pickups and Seymour Duncan SSL-3, -4, -5, -6 and -7 single coil pickups for Stratocaster. You will just need to enlarge the screw holes at the ends of the baseplate for direct mounting.

Try the Bass VI with decent pickups. Decide which sounds you like, then consider modifying the switching.
    The 2013 MIJ Bass VIs use MIJ Jag pups.