Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blisters

Originally posted by post toastie View Post
    isn't superglue poisonous ? should it be put on an open wound ?

thanks for the quick replies guys.
    No, I believe that's what the "liquid bandage" stuff is made from, a cyanoacrylate under high pressure with added antisceptic.
    Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
    Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
    Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
    Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
    Line 6 Helix
    Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

so that's why the lady looked at me like i was crazy and offered me liquid bandages instead.

Comment

Originally posted by jon the art guy View Post
        take an old bass string and a stick.
        put the bass string down, and push the stick onto the string with about as much force as you would use to fret, and do this at random intervals for a minute.
        Now pretend the stick is a finger and "strum" the string almost perpendicular to the string with 1/2in of the stick's end, using approximate pressure, constantly for 1 minute.

Better yet, put a rubber balloon on the stick before doing this. See which action abraids and damages the balloon faster.

Also do this experiment in a very public venue and videotape it. Just because it'd be funny.
        Or, hey, spend half a weekend doing Rocksmith Bass, and see which hand gets torn up... And thats actually quite generous a handicap in favour of your position, since you got a lot less hammers and bends per same amount of notes played when its simple kid-oriented tabs with little room for adding your own touch
        "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Yes Super glue works well!
          BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
          Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
          Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
          Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)
          Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
          Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
          Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
          Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
          Fender Jazz Bass 5 string (Sunburst)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
          Gibson EBO

Comment

Originally posted by Bass_Medic_05 View Post
            Yes Super glue works well!
            ...srsly? With the sheer quantity if people who play instruments under the influence of this or that, shouldn't the common word be "disastrously", or at least "disastrously well"?

Or are its ardent supporters just hoping the rest of the world attaches themselves to hilarious stuff, too, and hopefully kicks up an entertainingly dramatic fuss about it here (using any remaining limbs not attached to anything extra)?

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
              Or, hey, spend half a weekend doing Rocksmith Bass, and see which hand gets torn up... And thats actually quite generous a handicap in favour of your position, since you got a lot less hammers and bends per same amount of notes played when its simple kid-oriented tabs with little room for adding your own touch
              Rocksmith Bass
              bwaaaa hhhaaaaaahahahahaha

I just got that
              I like it
              its fun
              it has a jam along
              adds the rest of the band
              and they will follow your chord changes and rhythm
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

...srsly? With the sheer quantity if people who play instruments under the influence of this or that, shouldn't the common word be "disastrously", or at least "disastrously well"?

Or are its ardent supporters just hoping the rest of the world attaches themselves to hilarious stuff, too, and hopefully kicks up an entertainingly dramatic fuss about it here (using any remaining limbs not attached to anything extra)?
                That would be fun to watch! I'd especially love to see people try to play immediately after applying the stuff to their fingertips, and get stuck to their instruments.

Re: blisters, I have always drained them. I know the conventional wisdom is to not pop a blister because of risk of infection, but I have been popping blisters my entire life and have never gotten infected. In fact, the times I tried NOT popping the blister are the times I had issues like fevers and insomnia.

"Popping", however, is really a misleading term. I use a sewing needle to make a small drain hole in the top layer of skin, being careful not to stick my skin under the blister. I drain the blister as best I can and leave the top skin where it is (might have to drain it a few times). That will protect the blistered area, and calluses will form underneath.

You can still play with popped-blistered fingertips, but you have to be careful not to damage the blistered area further. Assuming you have normal nerves, let pain be your guideline.

In order to prevent blisters in the first place, you have to be aware of when your fingertips are getting hot. Play until they get hot, then put the bass away until tomorrow. The calluses will come, and your play time will get longer.
                Originally posted by DrNewcenstein
                To understand the idiot, you must think like an idiot.

Comment

Fever? Insomnia? ...that sounds pretty bad. See a doctor maybe.

Drain blisters with DISINFECTED needles (rubbing alcohol) only. If its rusty, avoid it like the plague.

Comment

Evidently I have enough calluses from playing guitar (I use 9's) that playing roundwounds on bass for an hour or two hasn't caused any problems at all. No blisters or peeling.
                    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                      Evidently I have enough calluses from playing guitar (I use 9's) that playing roundwounds on bass for an hour or two hasn't caused any problems at all. No blisters or peeling.
                      no problems with fretting hand. it's the plucking fingers that get blisters.

Comment

Originally posted by post toastie View Post
                        no problems with fretting hand. it's the plucking fingers that get blisters.

Why not use a pick part of the time, while you build calluses there.
                        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

You've got to realize that not everyone can live up to the high standards you've set on masculinity.

Comment

Fever? Insomnia? ...that sounds pretty bad. See a doctor maybe.

Drain blisters with DISINFECTED needles (rubbing alcohol) only. If its rusty, avoid it like the plague.
                            Yeah, I use hand sanitizer on the needle before using it.

As I explained, I always drain my blisters. I have never had an infection from draining my blisters, but preventing infections is the reason people advise against it.

In Marine Corps boot camp many moons ago, I got a half-dollar size blister on the back of my heel. I didn't drain it, just like they told me not to. It hurt like hell, and the fluid and the pressure continued to build. That night I couldn't sleep, and I kept feeling worse and worse -- fever, nausea, runs. After a couple trips to the toilet, I finally decided I no longer cared what I was told, and I drained it. My foot immediately felt better, and by the time I got back to my rack, I no longer felt fevery or nauseous. I slept great after that.

If I feel blisters forming on my fingertips, I try to quit playing before there is any fluid buildup. If I mistime it or if I'm in a position where I can't quit playing, and fluid starts to build up, I drain them as soon as I can.

I have a sneaking suspicion that most people who say not to open a blister are people that don't get blisters.
                            Originally posted by DrNewcenstein
                            To understand the idiot, you must think like an idiot.

Comment

To the OP:
                              Play more bass.
                              Stop crying.
                              Your fingers will toughen up.
                              Last edited by Chickenwings; 01-06-2014, 09:37 PM.
                              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Strangely, when I'm out of practice a bit I still only seem to get blisters when the strings are really dirty and old. For me, usually starting with fresh strings avoids a lot of issues with my fingertips.

Comment

Working...
                                X