banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Tube/Hybrid Bass Amp Head that is lightweight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Tube/Hybrid Bass Amp Head that is lightweight?

That's no tube but there is one big plus for Ampeg Portaflex. If you want the fundamentals for your style it will deliver and it's tiny. I was the producer of this album, we used the smallest Portaflex and it was phenomenal:

He is that:

http://www.ampeg.com/products/portaflex/pf-350/#

Cab was its factory matching one. I recorded both the DI and 2 mics, SM57 and B52 by Shure. DI adds oomph mics give grit.

If you drive it low considering costs it may be worth trying the EHX 44Magnum. Okay that's a mini guitar amp but we could get some quite decent results driving different 2x10" cabs, master volume style. It is quite tube-y considering response. That's a G&L L-2500 directly into the lil' soapbox.

Rec method was the very same as I did with Visioned Frailty it's just the cab that was different. This actual one is an experimental lightwheight 1x10" one built by a friend of mine. It was sweet but it was very tricky to find the right spot as it was so small. Final tracks required some phase adjustment.

Nicia's new demo was recorded with the EHX too. It is an Ibanez SDGR305 through an open-back 1x12" guitar cab with a single T75 and it's not driven hard, bass was recorded around speech volume. One B52 mic + a DI track (and a lot of synths so bass is not so obvious but never mind haha) and it worked like that:

Last edited by NecroPolo; 01-03-2014, 03:25 AM.
    Wackor
    Ørdøg
    NecroPolo
    Diabolus in Musica
    SIDrip Alliance
    Book of Shadows
    RKH

Comment

lol the 44 magnum sounded great! basically it really depends on how you mix the bass... I think the portaflex sounded perfect as well for that recording. really massive bass tones, the bassist must have been happy with those mixes very professional

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
        An Ampeg B200R. Remove the amp from the combo cab and put it into a home-made head cabinet. It's a great sounding amp, with a tube pre-amp and a 200W solid state power amp. It's extremely small and lightweight when removed from the combo cab.
        Most of em are...pulled an (ss) carvin from a monster of a 70 lb 115 combo, and the darn thing weighed like maybe 5 lbs.

Head weight in bass combos is negligible. Note that some may not be enclosed on some sides, except by the cabinet itself
        "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Working...
        X