chibson les paul....chinese copy gibsons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: chibson les paul....chinese copy gibsons

Folks, the "report item" link it right on the Ebay page. The "fake item" report is not too annoying to fill out either.

Comment

I am wondering how many of the people slamming Gibson are actually Gibson owners. I don't see how a consumer can slam a product if there have never been a consumer of that product. All of the owners in the Post Your Les Paul Picture Thread seem more than happy with Gibson and their guitars. Case-in-point most Gibson owners purchase additional guitars from the company, there are tons of pictures of multiple guitar collections.

Comment

Are we talking about this site ?

Just read some of the descriptions. Funny

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
          I am wondering how many of the people slamming Gibson are actually Gibson owners. I don't see how a consumer can slam a product if there have never been a consumer of that product. All of the owners in the Post Your Les Paul Picture Thread seem more than happy with Gibson and their guitars. Case-in-point most Gibson owners purchase additional guitars from the company, there are tons of pictures of multiple guitar collections.
          For the record, I have an early Chinese made LP type. Not an illegal copy, it has a different headstock design and it's own company logo.

It has some aspects of cheapness, namely separate heel and headstock wood pieces (of course a $3000 soloist has a sleeved on headstock, too ), thick poly and a metric TOM. However, the craftmanship is flawless and many of use have verified that the latter isn't always true for US made Gibsons.

Comment

I've owned 6. I have a custom shop junior which is the ONLY one that hasn't suffered from design/craftsmanship flaws. And itsa is correct. They are not known for treating the employees well.
            nobody loves me but my mama... and she could be jivin' too.

Comment

I own 5 Gibsons (LP Standard, LP Jr, 2 Flying Vs, 1 Nighthawk Studio) as well as an Orville and 3 Epiphones. I love Gibson. I think they were the best American guitar brand. But Gibson today isn't the same. Forget the talk of QC issues, even if made perfectly, the new Gibsons just aren't that great. I like Les Pauls. If I got one today, it would have frets over the binding, hollowed out body, minE tuner, etc etc. That's not what I want in an LP. I wish they would realize all they have to do is make good les pauls, sgs, flying vs, so on and so forth like they used to without robots tuners and tone chambers instead of making the firebird x and richlite fingerboards.
              Quality riffs in about a minute...
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Originally posted by jon the art guy View Post
                might be a different story in Canada, but those are not legal for shipping, selling or distributing in the USA.

Securb, I don't think they're using the same woods. Gibson has been trying to get more than their fair share of rare old-growth woods and have been caught numerous times on it. They don't care the ramifications of overharvesting or removing a finite amount of stock out of the hands of competitors or competing industries, they just want to cut up pieces and sell it at astronomical markup in their lumber + steel products. The nameless Chinese mills aren't going to feed expensive wood into their machinery to crap out sub-$300 instruments; they're using furniture quality crap, low-grade boards and ground up cutoffs to make their guitars.

Screw Chibson and screw Gibson as far as I'm concerned. If Gibson wasn't trying to put the screws to the very people they're "making their product for", there wouldn't be a crop of knockoffs trying to profit off of vanity and excess. There's NOTHING worth $3k in a Gibson except the name.
                I agree. Gibson prices its product way too high. The only reason I have a LP is because I scored it used. Mind you, I added SD pups to it and had to properly set it up. Frankly, unless I came into a lot of money, I am not buying Gibson.

Comment

I'm working on it. The time and materials..
                  My fretwork is beyond immaculate and that's what really counts.
                  I want a master to come into my shop and say wow.

Comment

Originally posted by kilphody View Post
                    I'm working on it. The time and materials..
                    My fretwork is beyond immaculate and that's what really counts.
                    I want a master to come into my shop and say wow.
                    Fretwork is the reason I haven't tried to build a guitar yet. I'm pretty terrified of getting it wrong.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
                    Originally posted by Funkfingers
                    Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

Just an FYI to the OP....the Thread title has a typo. It should say Chibson Res Paur

Comment

Sheesh! You disagree with an opinion, so you attack the legitimacy of others to have it. That's silly. At this time, I own many Gibsons:

'60's B-25 (unsure of year)
                        '68 ES-330
                        '68 SG Standard
                        '83 Les Paul Custom
                        '01 Les Paul Junior
                        '03 Les Paul Melody Maker
                        '04 Les Paul Standard
                        '06 Explorer

I have owned others in the past:

'67 ES-345
                        '94 Les Paul Standard
                        2000 Historic Black Beauty three pickup
                        2001 ES-333
                        2001 Les Paul Studio Plus
                        2012 SG Special Faded
                        '01 MIJ Epiphone SG Standard (hard-tail '61 reissue)

I never actually purchased a '70's one because I never found one that spoke to me...or if I did, I couldn't afford it at the time. There were some good ones in there every now and then, though they really were mostly ****. My only Norlin is the '83, and it is **** as well. It just looks cool, and it's kind of sentimental to me, so I keep it.

And aside from all that, having worked in vintage shops in the past, I've played all sorts of guitars from all sorts of companies from all sorts of eras. And my dad was a friend of one of the most well known vintage guitar dealers in the world, and I grew up in and around his collection and his shop, spending hours upon hours in there picking his brain and playing old guitars. I am intimately familiar with Gibson's products over the past 60 years; why else would I be so disgusted with the company these days? To me, today they are the worst they have ever been, hands down. And that's just speaking of quality, not of their business practices, or even of their pricing, which is another issue. (And, to their credit, the Custom Shop makes great guitars.)

You may not agree with my opinion, or with my attitude about Gibson, and I don't expect anyone to do so. And I am certainly far from a compete expert on guitars...but I am not ignorant by any means. I'm not just plain blowing uneducated opinions out of my ass, as you implied. They are opinions I have formed based on my own gathering of information...and not just playing a few or owning a few. It's a lot of information and firsthand experience. It's not just me spouting off ignorantly, without any firsthand experience. It's not just me regurgitating what I've heard from others. I love what the Gibson company was before Norlin, and I love what they became after Norlin. Now they have gone down a very bad road under the same guy who "rescued" them in the first place. It's very sad and disturbing to me, and unfortunately indicative of American industry in general.

And aside from all that, I just can't get all up in arms about the fakes, as they pose no threat anyhow. They simply do not directly compete with Gibson. They are no real threat to the company. Nobody buys them as an alternative to a real Gibson, and nobody buys them thinking that they compete with real Gibsons. I have a hard time thinking that what the counterfeiters are doing is really all that bad in the grand scheme of things, especially when I view what Gibson themselves turn out these days as cheap knockoffs of their own stuff anyhow.

And to the other guy who mad the cheez-whiz comment, you obviously didn't understand what I wrote. I didn't say the Chinese fakes are as good as real Gibsons. I said that there is no way you can be really disappointed with them as guitars if you have realistic expectations. Only a complete idiot who deserves what they get buys one thinking it's gonna compete with a real one.
                        Last edited by ItsaBass; 01-01-2014, 06:25 PM.
                        Originally posted by LesStrat
                        Yogi Berra was correct.
                        Originally posted by JOLLY
                        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                          Sheesh! You disagree with an opinion, so you attack the legitimacy of others to have it. That's silly. At this time, I own many Gibsons:.
                          No I simply asked if people that were bashing Gibson actually used the product. I never said anyone's opinion wasn't valid. When did I say anything about any of your opinions?

Comment

No I simply asked if people that were bashing Gibson actually used the product. I never said anyone's opinion wasn't valid. When did I say anything about any of your opinions?
                            It was an implication, not a genuine question, the way I read it.
                            Originally posted by LesStrat
                            Yogi Berra was correct.
                            Originally posted by JOLLY
                            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                              It was an implication, not a genuine question, the way I read it.
                              Well you read it wrong my friend, and why did you feel it was directed at you? The reason I come to this forum is to get peoples opinions. There is no way for me to try every pickup, guitar, amp and effect. I come here to learn about other's experiences. I was wondering if all the Gibson bashing was based on people's actual experience with the instruments and wanted a bit more depth than "the quality of the new Gibson's is horrible". I own a newer 2011 Les Paul Traditional and find the quality to be phenomenal, I couldn't be happier.
                              Last edited by Securb; 01-01-2014, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Quote from Above:
                                I like Les Pauls. If I got one today, it would have frets over the binding, hollowed out body, --- minE tuner ---, etc etc. That's not what I want in an LP.

Went to a local music store [ not GC ] and I explained to the store owner that I wanted a SG Standard without the minE tuner as the 2014 models will have it.

He pointed to the wall and there was a beautiful SG Standard. He had a couple of internet orders for SG Standards so he ordered a third SG for the store. Needles to say, I bought it.

Is it perfect, well no. The strings are resting on the bridge and Gibson put cheap strings on the guitar. So, it gets a string change and maybe a top wrapped tail stop. The guitar has nice grain. Plays like it was set up for me and has excellent sustain. And I was really surprised that the 57's sound really good in this guitar.

While he was showing me the guitar, he told me about a question he got when he ordered the SG's. The Gibson rep wanted to know why he and other stores were not ordering the guitars with e-tune. The store owner said he had to explain to the Gibson rep that his customers don't want e-tune.
                                That is not dead which can eternal lie,
                                And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

Working...
                                X