Boss DS-1 love...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss DS-1 love...

So after years of avoidance I picked up a Boss DS-1, black label made in Taiwan. I gotta say that I like it quite a lot. Not quite love it, but really like it. I run the tone control around 10 o'clock, distortion 7 o'clock to 12 o'clock, and volume to taste depending how much volume boost I want. As long as I keep tone low and distortion reigned in it does not thin out as much as many reviews indicate. I like how it chops/tightens the bass just enough for clarity. For now it's staying like it is.

Re: Boss DS-1 love...

How are you using it? Into what amp/channel, etc?

I agree there is a lot of hate for it. But I think most just don't know what to do with it. At least these days....
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

yeah that's pretty much how I liked to use a stock taiwanese ds-1 when I had a deluxe reverb reissue.
      the OR15 has enough gain so I almost never use the ds-1. still, stock ds-1 is cool with the right amp I think. I'd like to try one with a twin reverb.

Comment

My point exactly fuse. That is a box originally intended to be run into a low gain distorted amp. When you do that - it sounds fantastic. Used to do that when running a single gain stage on my old (70's) Peavey Classic.

But if you dime the dirt and play it into a clean channel - or worse, a solid state....

I think a ton of people do that then bag on it. Too bad.

Comment

I have a ds1 with the (sem) mod and its major rad vaginal flaps goodness.

I don't use it much but when i do i love it. I think last time i ran it next to my maxon 0d9 pro plus through my peavey jsx/5150cab.Is that normal? haha
          Last edited by kramersteen; 01-06-2014, 04:53 PM. Reason: hmmmm thats sounded suss.

Comment

Boss DS-1 love...

I like the old DS-1 better than the newer ones. By newer I mean around the mid 90's to present. The problem with them is the first gain stage (after the buffer stage) has too much gain. The signal is already clipped, and not pleasantly. So when dialing in the distortion, it's distorting an already clipped signal.

There is a fix for this that Jack Orman has shared. It's called the Fat Mod and entails adjusting that first gain stage so it does not clip. I've done it a few times and it does make a difference.

The AMZ 2-resistor mod for the Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal. The DS-1 is a classic distortion pedal and is widely used by pros and amateurs alike. However, if it has any flaws, it is that the distortion is too extreme and the tone can be a bit harsh. This mod can fix both problems by […]

And as mentioned, the DS-1 works best in front of an already dirty amp. It doesn't have to be a lot. Just some breakup and not clean.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
              How are you using it? Into what amp/channel, etc?

I agree there is a lot of hate for it. But I think most just don't know what to do with it. At least these days....
              I run it straight into a Gibson GA-8 Discoverer or a Traynor YBA-1 + 4x12 with Celestion G12-65's. Guitars are Strat with Fender 57/62 pups or SG with Seth Lovers. I set the DS-1 with tone pretty low, distortion low to medium, and volume to taste.

Comment

Originally posted by toneseeker74 View Post
                I run it straight into a Gibson GA-8 Discoverer or a Traynor YBA-1 + 4x12 with Celestion G12-65's. Guitars are Strat with Fender 57/62 pups or SG with Seth Lovers. I set the DS-1 with tone pretty low, distortion low to medium, and volume to taste.
                I can imagine very cool sound through the Gibson.

This is exactly what this thing is for.

Comment

Gary Moore> 61 fiesta red strat>boss ds1>other boss pedals> marshall 1959 or 1992= Corridors of Power= SUPER KILLER TONE.

I prefer an old stock MIJ over most "mods" I have played. I have a MXR BA78 (modded ds1) and it has its moments, but I would much rather have an old silver screw.
                  I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by toneseeker74 View Post
                    I run the tone control around 10 o'clock, distortion 7 o'clock to 12 o'clock, and volume to taste depending how much volume boost I want.
                    +1

That's pretty much how I like it! I used to use one all the time with my 335 into a Traynor amp. Really sings for lead playing like this . . .
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I did a Monte Allums mod to mine and ended up with a really cool and use-able pedal!

guitar products pedal mods eNut guitar shielding best pedal mods
                      Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
                      "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

Clipping d4 or d5 out of the circuit will cut a lot of the distortion and give a massive volume boost. I run mine like that.
                        "So you'll never have to listen to surf music again." -Hendrix

Comment

I love my Spina modded one! alot smoother than stock
                          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

SG --->stock DS-1 (gain set low) --->cranked 50W Bassman = not a bad sound at all.
                            Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Had a few old 80's ones....always where nice with some old Marshalls and such....and a few combo's.
                              Never like dthe newer ones much...they turned up the dirt on those....harsh in a ugly way!

Comment

Working...
                              X