Affordable Jazz Bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Affordable Jazz Bass

I'd czech out some Ibanez bass's, can't go wrong with a Japanese bass, the vintage modified squires are amazing two

Comment

I know that Squires are good instruments but I just can't get with them. They are making really good quality stuff theses days so by all means give them a look if you are wanting new.

If you don't mind used (and you really shouldn't because the used market is always good and the prices are great) you can pickup a used MIM Jazz Bass for what a new Squire goes for. Keep an eye on Craigslist and eBay and you will eventually find a great deal.

I was unbelievably lucky myself. I scored a late '90s American Standard Jazz Bass off of Craigslist locally for a steal ($400). It needed a little TLC, but aside from needing to be thoroughly cleaned and a broken handle on the original HSC, it was perfect. Moral of the story: if you are patient and keep looking, a deal will come your way.

Comment

Originally posted by njstoehr View Post
        I know that Squires are good instruments but I just can't get with them. They are making really good quality stuff theses days so by all means give them a look if you are wanting new.

If you don't mind used (and you really shouldn't because the used market is always good and the prices are great) you can pickup a used MIM Jazz Bass for what a new Squire goes for. Keep an eye on Craigslist and eBay and you will eventually find a great deal.

I was unbelievably lucky myself. I scored a late '90s American Standard Jazz Bass off of Craigslist locally for a steal ($400). It needed a little TLC, but aside from needing to be thoroughly cleaned and a broken handle on the original HSC, it was perfect. Moral of the story: if you are patient and keep looking, a deal will come your way.
        Unfortunately, the Squire VM and CV are all really playable and well put together instruments. I would go as far as to say that they beat out most of the MIM stuff from Fender. That 70's Jazz is amazing. I know at one point all of the VM stuff had Duncan Designed pickups, which are not bad by any means either. I think they've gone to Fender pups but still. Stock Fender Jazz pickups sound better to me than most aftermarket ones.
        Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
        Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
        Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
        Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
        Line 6 Helix
        Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
          Unfortunately, the Squire VM and CV are all really playable and well put together instruments. I would go as far as to say that they beat out most of the MIM stuff from Fender. That 70's Jazz is amazing.
          I just ordered a VM '70's Jazz bass in natural. Guitar Center had a '15% off everything' sale last weekend, and I had an old gift card, so I got it for 1/3 off. Looking forward to playing it. If I'm not excited with the PU's, I'll put in a pair of Duncans.
          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
            I just ordered a VM '70's Jazz bass in natural. Guitar Center had a '15% off everything' sale last weekend, and I had an old gift card, so I got it for 1/3 off. Looking forward to playing it. If I'm not excited with the PU's, I'll put in a pair of Duncans.
            If you can look past the fact that they have the name "Squire" on there, then you will not be disappointed. It's a great bass. The Duncan Designed pups that they had in there sounded great. I don't know about the new ones though. I haven't tried them. My bassist uses a VM in 70's in natural (great looking, I love that maple board) and he said that the DD's sound great. If another one of those basses come up on Fleabay anytime soon I might get it. Especially if it's an older one (I think they changed the pups last year).
            Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
            Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
            Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
            Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
            Line 6 Helix
            Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

I found a sweet looking MIJ Fernandes jazz bass, but it had truss rods issues. I ended up with Fender Standard MIM Jazz Bass that I'm pretty happy with.

Comment

Originally posted by toneseeker74 View Post
                I ended up with Fender Standard MIM Jazz Bass that I'm pretty happy with.
                I'm sure I'll end up with a couple more jazz basses. Great-looking instruments.
                "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
                  you will not be disappointed. It's a great bass. The Duncan Designed pups that they had in there sounded great. I don't know about the new ones though. I haven't tried them. My bassist uses a VM in 70's in natural (great looking, I love that maple board) and he said that the DD's sound great. If another one of those basses come up on Fleabay anytime soon I might get it. Especially if it's an older one (I think they changed the pups last year).
                  I got my '70's Jazz Bass this week. Nice workmanship, really looks good. Not sure of the PU's, but they could be DD's.

Comment

I got my '70's Jazz Bass this week. Nice workmanship, really looks good. Not sure of the PU's, but they could be DD's.
                    Cool...One of my buds that plays out more than we do,asked me the other night if I still have a bass.Was thinking of maybe getting another so I can fill in when he needs a bass player.As you know,they can be hard to come by.I need to learn how to be a good bass player and stay in the pocket..LOL..I approach the damn thing like a lead guitar player!
                    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
                      Was thinking of maybe getting another so I can fill in when he needs a bass player. As you know, they can be hard to come by. I need to learn how to be a good bass player and stay in the pocket..LOL..I approach the damn thing like a lead guitar player!
                      +1. Exactly the same here. I want to be good enough on bass to play in a band. Takes more discipline than guitar, a bass has to carry a song and not just add things here and there. Plus you have to have more of a flow in your playing. I also play bass like a lead guitarist, and tend to overplay. But that's not all bad. There's too many bass players in rock that just thump on the root note. There's some great bass players in blues, that do lots of runs; I want to be able to do that. In other genres I like to play thirds and fifths and add color. A good bass player can make the difference between a good song and a great song. He can give it momentum. Classic example is Van Morrison's 'Moon Dance'; the bass work transforms the song.

Comment

+1. Exactly the same here. I want to be good enough on bass to play in a band. Takes more discipline than guitar, a bass has to carry a song and not just add things here and there. Plus you have to have more of a flow in your playing. I also play bass like a lead guitarist, and tend to overplay. But that's not all bad. There's too many bass players in rock that just thump on the root note. There's some great bass players in blues, that do lots of runs; I want to be able to do that. In other genres I like to play thirds and fifths and add color. A good bass player can make the difference between a good song and a great song. He can give it momentum. Classic example is Van Morrison's 'Moon Dance'; the bass work transforms the song.
                        I love what Jack Bruce did with Cream,Entwistle,Geddy Lee,JPJ on The Lemon Song,Ramble On etc.I think we both probably come from the same place.You're right though..Some songs need the extra notes and some don't.Its a fun instrument and a welcome change for me.
                        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Working...
                        X