No announcement yet.

Need multi effect advice for new gig.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need multi effect advice for new gig.

Good luck. Those gigs are where the money is. Parties, weddings and corporate functions ...most have a good sized budget and many planners don't bat an eye when you quote them a price that would make a club/bar manager's sphincter pucker quicker than Oprah can get to the buffet.

Comment

If only they had a need for guy who look like Red Fang pinch-hitter.
      Originally posted by Funkfingers
      Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

I have a lot of experience with the M13, and that's what I'd recommend if you just want effects and not amp sim.

It can behave like a pedal board where you enable/disable individual effects, or you can use "scene mode" where it acts more like a traditional multi with patches/presets. It can also send and receive MIDI program change and control change messages, it has a loop insert, it takes expression pedals, and it's quite simple to set up.

The effects themselves range from pretty good to excellent, and there are a ton to choose from.
        Band: www.colouredanimal.com
        Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
        Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Get TC NOVA or Used G Unit system.....
          Originally posted by grumptruck
          No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
          Originally posted by Gear Used
          PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
          Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
          Mesa Stiletto Ace
          Gurus 5015
          Mesa Widebody 1X12
          Pedalboard

Comment

If you guys don't play Working for the Weekend... well that's just a crying shame.
            Custom neck-thru strat
            1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
            1995 PRS CE24
            D'avanzo #8
            Breedlove Solo Concert
            1996 USA Dean Baby Z
            1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
            1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
            Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
              Thanks for all of the great advice everyone I think I am leaning towards the GT100 I need to run multiple delays. I had an old ART SGX 2000 that I loved but sold that would have been perfect for this gig. I might look into picking up another one used but it has a separate foot controller and I have the feeling the BOSS will have a better sound. The big plus is the BOSS can go directly to the house board.
              I think you'll dig it live for ease of use. It doesn't have XLR outs so you may need a DI box or two. There are preamp models called "advanced" clean,crunch etc. those are the ones that have been improved & seem to react well to picking dynamics. The older ones like 5150/recto/etc.sim in it are not all that great. You'll need to approach it a little differently than other modelers out there, but the sounds are there, especially the 80's. Modern metal sounds are a tough cookie.
              This guy's patches should help a bit to start things if you do end up picking one up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT6OE6dkVjo

The best sound that I've heard from a boss gt was in this vid but it's with using a speaker sim with it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eq_-UM7ETY

Comment

I wonder if any of the multi effects have a good Rockman setting...
                Originally posted by Funkfingers
                Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

Most of what you will need =

Comp set for effect (gotta roll MXR Dyna on this)
                  Generic chorus - Boss SC-1 or whatever
                  Delays - DD-3 (and again, more is more here.)

Might consider a rack unit with multi-tap capability by Lexicon or yamaha.

In fact, a PCM-41 and an SPX 90 would do nicely.

Is this a "get the gig BECAUSE you have the gear" thing???? Or a play/get along and some leeway to get the sound?
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

working out the effects shouldn't be too bad....
                    the hard part is playing guitar in a trench coat with big puffy rolled up sleeves and keeping your skinny tie out of the strings.
                    yes! I have personal experience with this

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                        Is this a "get the gig BECAUSE you have the gear" thing???? Or a play/get along and some leeway to get the sound?
                        It is a mix nailing the correct tone is a huge part of the gig. Some of the tunes have multiple guitar tracks so I get some leeway, but they want it as close as possible to the record. I can get it done with my pedal board but as I said I dont want to drag around $3000 in effects to gigs.

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
                        If you guys don't play Working for the Weekend... well that's just a crying shame.
                        No Loverboy just synth pop and New Wave. The Cure, Frankie Goes to Hollywood and Simple Minds

Comment

Getting the sound is easy. Again - an RP 50 CAN do it.

Man - having such 80's flashbacks. I used to play Pet Shop Boys. Seriously....

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                            Getting the sound is easy. Again - an RP 50 CAN do it.

Man - having such 80's flashbacks. I used to play Pet Shop Boys. Seriously....
                            Roadtrip! I would be more than willing to let you sit in for me on a couple of tunes.

Comment

as I've never been able to get multi-effects programs to sound right from home to practice to gig....
                              I would get a smaller board like a pedaltrain 1 or 2 and put on some easily replaceable(BOSS/Ibanez/MXR/TC) boxes:
                              BOSS CS-3 comp
                              TS-9/SD-1 type
                              RAT/DS-1 type
                              MXR Carbon Copy
                              Tap Tempo Delay like BOSS DD-20, DD-7
                              Chorus Pedal
                              Flanger Pedal

Click image for larger version

Name:	BD-Pedal-Board-E-13-lo-res-1024x680.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	5775616

Comment

SOme songs I can remember on the list -

Rebel Yell (Made Ray gun noise with a Flanger/Chorus/Delay)
                                Dancing With Myself
                                Mony Mony
                                Eyes Without A Face
                                Pride (In The NAme Of Love)
                                I Will Follow
                                Sunday Bloody Sunday
                                She Sells Sanctuary
                                Shake It Up (did a killer way-synth sound for that!)
                                Should I Stay or Should I go
                                We Got The Beat (Fun Tune!)
                                Message In A Bottle
                                Da doo doo doo, da daa daa daaa
                                Every Little Thing She does is magic
                                What I LIke ABout You

There was a bunch more. Honestly, I didn't listen to music really except to play. ME & The other Guitar player were both metal heads so during breaks we'd jam on MAiden, Priest, Scorps and Def Lep. But the field was kind of saturated at the time so we went dance/pop/alt. Good move. While all the metal bands were practicing (and not getting to play out!), their chics would come hang out with our band in our practice space

That Aerosmith/Run DMC vid? We played in the Aerosmith side - almost literally and had some guitar rag Aerosmith poster on the wall.

Comment

Working...
                                X