Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Check your local GC. MXR Classic OD's now $19.99

Originally posted by VanDerchuck View Post
    After taking it apart to get to the switch and A/B'ing the normal side and Zakk Wylde side of the pedal I've come to the conclusion that this is a $20 pedal. Along the lines of the plastic Danalectro pedals. The component quality is poor. And that's disappointing from MXR. The normal side is a little shrill. The other side is ok, at best, at bedroom levels. I haven't tried it at volume yet. The lack of true bypass, or the ability to add true bypass bothers me. I can't see how GC tried to sell these things for $100. Which is why they are $20 now.
    Honestly, I didn't see anything wrong with the build construction of the pedal. I have an Analog Chorus and it was very similar to that as far as build construction was concerned. It's also got the same type of build construction that the Carbon Copy Delay I tried has. Seems like a suitable workhorse of an overdrive to me. Granted, it's light but so are a lot of MXR pedals.

I bet the Prime Distortion was made the same way.

Comment

I dig mine, really does gel with Marshalls very well. I prefer mine on the ZW side.
      Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

Originally posted by xxxplorer View Post
        I dig mine, really does gel with Marshalls very well. I prefer mine on the ZW side.
        I know this sounds dumb, but how do you switch it? I haven't figured that out yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad-Max View Post
          I know this sounds dumb, but how do you switch it? I haven't figured that out yet.
          You have to take the circuit board out of the enclosure as the microswitch is on the "top" of the circuit board.

Here is a disassembled pedal showing the difference in sound.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Small black switch, top left. Don't see anything bad about the build at all. I love it for juicing already crunchy amps. I,definitely prefer it to a TS9.... but that's just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveAlysis View Post
                Small black switch, top left. Don't see anything bad about the build at all. I love it for juicing already crunchy amps. I,definitely prefer it to a TS9.... but that's just my opinion.

Do you know which one is the ZW setting? Mine was switched to the right like the picture above, so what setting is that?

Comment

Do you know which one is the ZW setting? Mine was switched to the right like the picture above, so what setting is that?
                  I believe to the left is the ZW setting.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveAlysis View Post
                    I believe to the left is the ZW setting.
                    Than I prefer the pedal in ZW setting then. This pedal is great! What a steal for 20 bucks. Thanks to the TS for giving everyone the heads up!

Comment

I bet it really comes to life at 18 volts. I tried one of my Wylde Overdrives at 18 and it just flat out sounded meaner, so I modded them both to run safely that way. I know on both the GT-OD and the Wylde all you have to do is swap out C9 with a 100mf cap that's rated for 25volts or higher. So I'm guessing that these are the same, but do it at your own risk, because I'm not certain.
                      Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

^I may try that! I just got done putting the switch in front and changing the red led to green. Best $20 I spent lol. I had all the parts already to mod it too. To top it off, I picked up an Oysterhead cd for $4.00 today too... Day of the deal!
                        Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

My local store didn't have any, but the one in Atlanta did, and they're sending one over. Pick it up Monday.
                          "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Honestly, I didn't see anything wrong with the build construction of the pedal. I have an Analog Chorus and it was very similar to that as far as build construction was concerned. It's also got the same type of build construction that the Carbon Copy Delay I tried has. Seems like a suitable workhorse of an overdrive to me. Granted, it's light but so are a lot of MXR pedals.

I bet the Prime Distortion was made the same way.
                            The enclosure and switch are good. (Excuse me for using someone else's photo)

It's all the little components on the board that I don't like. There's no way to repair those small parts if they break. You have to replace it.

The bypass sucks out some tone and I definitely don't like that. If there was room for a 3dpt switch I could change it myself. But there isn't.

I think it's the idea that MXR and GC would put a MSRP of $99.99 on this pedal when the components are similar to pedals that are in the $35.00 range. And the enclosure and switch aren't worth more than $10.00 at the most. If anything, this pedal is worth $50. IMHO.

Take the EHX East River Drive or the Soul Food. The ERD is true bypass, and the Soul Food has a switch that can be buffered or true bypass. Both are no more than $62.00. The ERD has regular componentry, while the SF has similar components to the MXR pedal. But it's still not $100.

As a $20 pedal, yes this is a good buy. Although it appears that we all bought the Classic Overdrive pedals, but prefer the Zakk Wylde Overdrive more. If it didn't have that switch, would we still be happy? I can honestly say I wouldn't be happy with it.
                            Hmm...

Comment

Originally posted by SrDeMaFp View Post
                              No GC's within a reasonable distance from here. Boo.....
                              Who wants to do me a favor and snag one for me? I'll toss in a finders fee!
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	bueller.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	5775657
                              -Mike-

Originally posted by rhymes with metalchurch79
                              I take peoples advice after i do some quick math to determine if the lie detector test determines they are full of sh**. Take their post count x 5minutes per post = how much time they didnt spend playing or working on their guitars. The Pros will be spotted right away.

Comment

Originally posted by VanDerchuck View Post
                                The enclosure and switch are good. (Excuse me for using someone else's photo)

It's all the little components on the board that I don't like. There's no way to repair those small parts if they break. You have to replace it.

The bypass sucks out some tone and I definitely don't like that. If there was room for a 3dpt switch I could change it myself. But there isn't.

I think it's the idea that MXR and GC would put a MSRP of $99.99 on this pedal when the components are similar to pedals that are in the $35.00 range. And the enclosure and switch aren't worth more than $10.00 at the most. If anything, this pedal is worth $50. IMHO.

Take the EHX East River Drive or the Soul Food. The ERD is true bypass, and the Soul Food has a switch that can be buffered or true bypass. Both are no more than $62.00. The ERD has regular componentry, while the SF has similar components to the MXR pedal. But it's still not $100.

As a $20 pedal, yes this is a good buy. Although it appears that we all bought the Classic Overdrive pedals, but prefer the Zakk Wylde Overdrive more. If it didn't have that switch, would we still be happy? I can honestly say I wouldn't be happy with it.
                                My honest experience is that I didn't notice any significant tone sucking when I engaged the pedal. It may not be True Bypass (Actually, I think the manual that came with it even specified that it was), but I think what you might be experiencing is a smoother or more rounder gain structure.

When I A/B'd it against my TS9, the first thing I noticed is that the TS9 had a little more midrange bite to it, whereas the MXR sounded a little smoother in the midrange, therefore making it seem as if there was a tone deficiency, but I just think it's more or less the overall circuitry of the pedal itself. Other than that aspect, I really didn't hear much of a difference. It also seemed to have much more gain on tap compared to the TS9. Hell, I had the Gain knob around 8 'o clock and anything above that seemed to sound less articulate, and I always have my output knob on any Overdrive absolutely cranked.

Now, I definitely preferred it on the ZW Overdrive setting. Just seemed a lot less abrasive and smoother overall. To me, this pedal makes a really good work horse of a pedal, and the tone it produces is definitely usable in a live setting or even in a recording situation. For 20 bucks, it's definitely a pedal I'd recommend for someone looking for a good overdrive and doesn't have a lot of dough to spend. Plus it's a good back up.

Comment

Working...
                                X