Check your local GC. MXR Classic OD's now $19.99

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Check your local GC. MXR Classic OD's now $19.99

Oh man, they went SMT components on these things now. Those are a PITA to work with without the right size tools and solder tip. I much prefer through hole components. Easier to mod or replace a part when to goes bad. Hence why I like the SD-1 and DS-1 still.

A lot of manufactures are going SMT on a lot of their pedals now so more complex circuits can have a smaller layout and packed tighter in enclosures. It's mostly the non-boutique pedals but I wouldn't be surprised to find some of those even SMT based on component count and enclosure size.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
      They do look cooler with a green LED installed. I did this when I bought the green and cream a couple years ago.

^ I may have to do that.
      Originally posted by DreX
      Nearly everyone still in this thread should have me on ignore by now. The fact that they don't says everything.
      The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad.
      There's no substance to anything I have posted.
      Originally posted by Evan_Skopp
      I'm sure that'll be good for a few "likes" from your buddies.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vegetable View Post
        ^ I may have to do that.
        Same here. Looks like a worthy mod.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
          ok - starting to see the point. I'm still passing.
          I don't care if it was soldered with guano...that sh!t sounds good to my ears. I solely use it as a boost on my Lead Channel with the Gain knob off, Tone at 3o'clock, and Output to taste.....couldn't be happier. I could see if one paid the full $99 price tag but this is $20 f***ing doll hairs we're talking about here. And its an MXR for that matter. Even if the pedal bit the dust, you're only out a 20 spot....quitcherb!tchin

Comment

Hard to chose even, so I made a switch on the outside (this little project, of adding a switch, has been posted 2 or 3 times already).

Careful removing the in-output washers. Metal into plastic damages easily.

$20... I paid €120 for it.
            Amp department:
            JCM 900 MkIII 100w, EL34 (sold)
            Class 5 (pure class...)
            Hughes&Kettner TM18H
            Marshall 1965A (4x10 G10L-35's)

Guitar Department:
            Gibson Les Paul Standard
            Fernandes Japan Customshop

Comment

Originally posted by JCM900MkIII View Post
              Hard to chose even, so I made a switch on the outside (this little project, of adding a switch, has been posted 2 or 3 times already).

Oh, you put your switch in the middle. I put mine on the upper left corner.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
              Nope...

Comment

So the switch that puts the pedal between 2 types of overdrives you made on the outside? That's a clever idea. I'll have to look into doing that for mine!

Comment

^It's easy... I did that, swapped the red for a green led and replaced c9 with a 35v 100uF cap to handle 18 volts. I like this thing as much as any fulldrive I had and it's probably better at tightening up and turning my amp into a thrash beast than my aluminum falcon lol. It's a fun $20.00.
                  Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

Originally posted by xxxplorer View Post
                    ^It's easy... I did that, swapped the red for a green led and replaced c9 with a 35v 100uF cap to handle 18 volts. I like this thing as much as any fulldrive I had and it's probably better at tightening up and turning my amp into a thrash beast than my aluminum falcon lol. It's a fun $20.00.
                    Honestly, I've had great luck with it just how it comes. I switched my TS9 out for this pedal and it's been a pretty successful trade off. I think I'll eventually integrate the TS9 back into the chain but for now the MXR has been serving me well.

The green LED seems like a nice little touch, and I'm definitely gonna get the switch for the outside to make it easier to switch between the two modes. Luckily the parts aren't completely outrageous, might be my next little project

Comment

I picked mine up today, but I have to wait to open it 'till tomorrow: my son "bought" it for me for my birthday.
                      "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

^It does sound great as is. I did the 18v thing just because lol. I like tinkering. One cool trick is just taking the switch and moving it to the back of the board.
                        Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

Originally posted by EET_FUK View Post
                          Is there a difference at all tonally between the cream and green models?

I have a hard time beliveing this is the same pedal as a a Zakk Wylde OD .The Wylde OD is a decent pedal, though nothing great. I also have a hard time believing the same guy who owns a genuine Klon Centaur is praising this pedal.I think since he got it cheap, its wrapped around his ego.
                          I sold my Wylde, and I am glad i did (its a pretty fair-to-midlin' pedal ), but if It IS the same pedal as the wylde, for 20 bucks, thats a good dang deal.
                          Last edited by MetalManiac; 01-22-2014, 05:37 PM.
                          "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post

I have a hard time beliveing this is the same pedal as a a Zakk Wylde OD .The Wylde OD is a decent pedal, though nothing great. I also have a hard time believing the same guy who owns a genuine Klon Centaur is praising this pedal.I think since he got it cheap, its wrapped around his ego.
                            I sold my Wylde, and I am glad i did (its a pretty fair-to-midlin' pedal ), but if It IS the same pedal as the wylde, for 20 bucks, thats a good dang deal.
                            Check the PCB. It's made for 2 types. Should say on the PCB which setting it left the factory with.

ZW-44 (ZW-OD)
                            or
                            CSP-021

Amp department:
                            JCM 900 MkIII 100w, EL34 (sold)
                            Class 5 (pure class...)
                            Hughes&Kettner TM18H
                            Marshall 1965A (4x10 G10L-35's)

Guitar Department:
                            Gibson Les Paul Standard
                            Fernandes Japan Customshop

Comment

Check the PCB. It's made for 2 types. Should say on the PCB which setting it left the factory with.

ZW-44 (ZW-OD)
                              or
                              CSP-021

Does that mean the components of the two are the same values (or only one or two differ), or does it only mean that the same bare board is used for both pedals, and all the components could be completely different values?
                              Last edited by Kosh Naranek; 01-29-2014, 06:30 PM. Reason: spelling correction
                              "Just like bad gas, they (metal riffs) sneak out every once in a while."
                              Jah Paul Jo - Dread Zeppelin
                              guitar pic site
                              Original prog rock on soundcloud
                              Original ambient guitar pieces on soundcloud
                              Original blues on soundcloud.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kosh Naranek View Post
                                Does that mean the components of the two are the same values (or ownly one or two differ), or does it only mean that the same bare board is used for both pedals, and all the components could be completely different values?
                                It adds one resistor. That's it. Tightens it up a bit.
                                Hmm...

Comment

Working...
                                X