banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Do People Say Pedals/Effects Cover Up Mistakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Do People Say Pedals/Effects Cover Up Mistakes?

If I make a mistake when I'm playing with chorus, delay, reverb, tremolo, phaser, flanger, or really any effect except ring modulation, it still sounds like a mistake. In fact, some effects actually make mistakes more prominent.

I just don't get the concept. It must be one of those things that people came up with in rebellion against (or jealousy of) huge pedalboards.
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Re: Why Do People Say Pedals/Effects Cover Up Mistakes?

I agree.

The guitar is a generally a very unforgiving instrument to bad technique.

Comment

It's like saying too much gain covers up mistakes..
      "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
      If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

I think it originates from the early days of rock when people first played loud and used distortion (amp or fuzz). It was a way for the old folks to disparage the new music by claiming that the amplification and distortion covered up a lack of technical ability. It then just became a cliché to say it.

I can remember people of my grandparents generation talking about the singers they liked when they were young and saying they didn't need microphones because they were proper singers (i.e. not like these feckless young hooligans).

Comment

Well, of course it is not true perse, however...

The more definition your sound has, the better you will hear the mistakes. When you have less definition the mistakes get covered more and more. Why? Because the definition of your sound gets covered more and more. I know not a single guitar player who does not want his/her sound to be heard so they stay away from undefined sounds. That is unless it is their aim to sound undefined. You can purposefully use a totally fuzzed out, polyphonic arpeggiated, reverb whashed tone (or use the ring modulator that agileguy_101 mentioned) to create the sound you are after, even when the notes you are playing would make no sense when the effects would have been off (which most of the time they still might anyways).

In more technical terms you could say that effects that create harmonic content that is not coherent with the guitar signal will to the degree this non-coherent harmonic content dominates cover up mistakes. However few devices with a high degree of non-coherent harmonic contect exist (extreme fuzzes and oscilator/ring modulator type pedals may qualify though).
          Unbelief is safe, because it takes no risk and almost always gets what it expects.

When your passion begins to decline, you already start to die. You were born to burn.

Comment

As with any generality, the statement is ten pounds of BS wrapped around a grain of truth.

I think distortion/fuzz can cover up mistakes, because it compresses everything and can make up for uneven picking technique. Try playing your axe for awhile with a heavy distortion, then switch to a clean, unaffected tone, and you will see what I mean. It is harder to be sloppy and still sound good with a clean tone.

But play one sour note into an echo and it will become a whole string of sour notes... sour notes... sour notes...
            Originally posted by DreX
            Nearly everyone still in this thread should have me on ignore by now. The fact that they don't says everything.
            The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad.
            There's no substance to anything I have posted.
            Originally posted by Evan_Skopp
            I'm sure that'll be good for a few "likes" from your buddies.

Comment

Yeah - other than mega gain covering up mildly sloppy playing vs clean. No.

I will say that sometimes the mistake IS the pedal or use of chorus/flange/distortion, too much distortion....
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Gain and compression can actually reveal mistakes . . . finger noise, unmuted strings, stuff like that blasts out at you where playing clean it's much easier to hide. You have to rely on dyads most of the time rather than full chords, which makes you think about your chord choices differently.

Playing an instrument is all about making it do the things you have in your head. There's a different technique that needs to be used with high gain stuff than with low gain stuff, there's a different technique to playing with effects than clean. That's kinda why I like effects . . . using a different pedal can demand a completely different way of playing.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vegetable View Post
                  As with any generality, the statement is ten pounds of BS wrapped around a grain of truth.

I think distortion/fuzz can cover up mistakes, because it compresses everything and can make up for uneven picking technique. Try playing your axe for awhile with a heavy distortion, then switch to a clean, unaffected tone, and you will see what I mean. It is harder to be sloppy and still sound good with a clean tone.

But play one sour note into an echo and it will become a whole string of sour notes... sour notes... sour notes...
                  If there's one thing that time and time again that audio engineers that work with heavy music complain about, it's inconsistency in picking technique and if there's one thing they preach often, it's that you need to work damn hard on your picking technique if you want to sound great and sound professional.
                  Sure, it can compress things a bit, smooth it out, but it wont be the saving grace of someone with terrible picking technique, not by a long shot.
                  Get two guys to try to double track a heavy riff, , one with horrible picking technique and the other with a right hand like 80s James Hetfield and the difference will be MASSIVE and it comes down almost entirely to right hand technique.
                  One clip would sound extremely mushy, undefined and limp wristed, and the other will sound well defined, percussive and ballsy.

Comment

Originally posted by MrTondo View Post
                    Well, of course it is not true perse, however...

The more definition your sound has, the better you will hear the mistakes. When you have less definition the mistakes get covered more and more. Why? Because the definition of your sound gets covered more and more. I know not a single guitar player who does not want his/her sound to be heard so they stay away from undefined sounds. That is unless it is their aim to sound undefined. You can purposefully use a totally fuzzed out, polyphonic arpeggiated, reverb whashed tone (or use the ring modulator that agileguy_101 mentioned) to create the sound you are after, even when the notes you are playing would make no sense when the effects would have been off (which most of the time they still might anyways).

In more technical terms you could say that effects that create harmonic content that is not coherent with the guitar signal will to the degree this non-coherent harmonic content dominates cover up mistakes. However few devices with a high degree of non-coherent harmonic contect exist (extreme fuzzes and oscilator/ring modulator type pedals may qualify though).

A heavily saturated and distorted tone may not correct wrong notes but it can disguise a lack of precise fingering technique, a lack of left hand/right hand coordination and it can kind of smear everything all together.

Whereas a more accomplished player can sustain notes with a clean tone and get a nice sustain even from an un-amplified acoustic guitar, a less accomplished player might need heavy distortion to get sustain.

On the other hand, guys like Eric Johnson, Steve Vai and Joe Satriani can play as precisely as anyone and for them a heavily distorted tone is not a crutch - it's just the tone of the music they choose to play.

For guys like this, it might be a crutch or it might be that you can't chugga-chugga without it.

Or both!

Last edited by Lewguitar; 01-21-2014, 04:21 PM.
                    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

^ oh Lew, you were doing so well. You just can't leave a hornet's nest un-kicked, can you?
                      Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                      Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                      Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Play the wrong note with a long-decay delay and it will haunt you for ages.

Comment

Usually old classic rock guys that say that. It must be natural amp breakup NO PEDALS... it's 2014 and pedals are just part of almost everyones tone these days. I don't think either the classic approach or using clean amps with pedals is better than the other, I have heard crazy good tones from pedal users and just amp distortion users.

It's all preference..
                          Guitar- Fender Starcaster/Ibanez Artist in CGCGCC tuning
                          Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
                          Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

Comment

I'm very sloppy at all of it, but I've never felt the very, very heavy Fuzzes and distortions I use have been much of a boon to me. Poor fretting sounds bad, bad pick angle sounds bad...and that's with practically all dynamics mushed to death.
                            Nothing short of the Antares company can save a bad player.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
                            Originally posted by Funkfingers
                            Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

Ill tell ya on bass you can make a ton of mistakes and depending on how I play (hard or soft and rhythym) no one will really notice or pay any mind

same goes for any instrument though. Musicians are supposed to take those rough patches and smooth em out, however they may. ya a wall of fuzz is gonna cover up dynamics and blend lots of notes, like the others stated

Comment

Working...
                              X