NPD: Soul Food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD: Soul Food

I spent about two hours playing with it after I got off of work today. I really dig this pedal. I'm a big fan of low gain, transparent overdrives. This is my 5th pedal that is in that vein. I like each of the ones I have for their unique characters. They all clean up well with the volume knob, but I find myself liking how the Soul Food cleans up better than the others. With the volume on the guitar about halfway down, it's a really nice "rock clean" as Lew has called it. It's right on the verge of being just a bit dirty, and using picking dynamics I can get it to break up just a smidge, or back off and get it a bit cleaner. I got some nice overdriven rhythm sounds around 75% on the guitar's volume. Push it to full and it made a nice singing lead tone.

Depending on the gig and what amp set up I was using, I could definitely see taking only the Soul Food and a Tremolo and Delay pedal. I can also see myself incorporating it into my multiple overdrive rig (I usually roll with at least 4, plus a clean boost). I liked putting it in front of my Mooer Hustle Drive. It still responded very well to the volume knob, but wouldn't go quite as clean. Rolled up it was a very thick, crunchy tone.

Most of my playing with it today was done through my g/f's '68 Bassman. I switched to the Mesa DC-5 for a while, and was pleasantly surprised. If you've ever played a DC-5, you know there's no way to tell what channel it's on without the footswitch plugged in. When I turned it on, apparently it was on channel 2. I was blown away by the sound it produced. It made my Telecaster sound like Warren Haynes playing an LP. So fat and thick. When I switched to the clean channel, it sounded good, and acted more or less like it had on the Bassman.

Overall, I was actually most pleased with the sound in front of channel 2 of the DC-5. I can get in the same ballpark with a clean amp with my Joyo Sweet Baby, but the Sweet Baby doesn't do what the Soul Food does to an overdriven amp. There is also a lot more gain on tap than the Sweet Baby.

I can see a lot of versatility here. I can see it being useful as an "always on" pedal, the way most people use a Klon, but I can also see it being used as a solo boost pedal when I'm using the Sweet Baby or the Hustle Drive for my rhythm sound, and lastly, I'll definitely be using it as a boost for the 2nd channel on whatever 2 channel amp I end up getting this summer.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to try it through my '62 Champ yet, since it blew a cap and needs to go to the amp hospital.
    Go Packers!

Re: NPD: Soul Food

Nice review. I'm definitely wanting to pick one up... Just looking for an excuse at this point.
    Glad you dig it
     Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

It's a lot of fun. My band is doing some recording on Thursday, so maybe I'll get a chance to get a recording of it in action. If not, I'm going to be buying an interface sometime soon(ish), and will do a proper video demo of it then.
      Go Packers!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt42 View Post
        If you've ever played a DC-5, you know there's no way to tell what channel it's on without the footswitch plugged in.
        well, the version B doesn't have leds to visualize what channel you're plugged in, but come on... one channel is clean and the other is dirty... you'll always know what channel you're using.

anyway, good review of the latest most demanded pedal in the Gear Page, but I still consider that a very good review should include some audio demos.
        Last edited by crguti; 01-22-2014, 02:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by crguti View Post
          but come on... one channel is clean and the other is dirty... you'll always know what channel you're using.
          True, but not until you hit that first chord!

And yeah, I know I need sound clips, but the only way I have to record them is a Zoom H1 or my cell phone. After I buy my books for school, I'll be getting an interface, so I'll be able to post clips of all my pedals, amps and guitars.
          Go Packers!

Comment

Very nice review! I'm looking forward to reading more reviews as more guys get their Soul Food pedals.

So far, everything's been positive except for one comment about a faulty switch.
            “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Matt42 View Post
              I spent about two hours playing with it after I got off of work today. I really dig this pedal.
              Damn! I was so hoping someone was going to say it was bloody awful...
              Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Originally posted by Chris of Arabia View Post
                Damn! I was so hoping someone was going to say it was bloody awful...
                Well stick around...it's only a matter of time.

Comment

Good review!
                  Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                  My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Well I'm on the list. But the last thing I need is another pedal I'll play for 5min and throw in the pile.
                    PC

Comment

You should crank up the Bassman to where it is overdriving o n its own an then kick on the Soul Food. Such a killer tone.
                      Custom neck-thru strat
                      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                      1995 PRS CE24
                      D'avanzo #8
                      Breedlove Solo Concert
                      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                      1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                      Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Ordered one today. Could...not...resist! Although now I have to wait a month.

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
                          You should crank up the Bassman to where it is overdriving o n its own an then kick on the Soul Food. Such a killer tone.
                          Yes...I think that's one of the failings of most of the YouTube reviews I've watched. They're playing through an amp that's barely turned up or worse: using a master volume amp with the master at half or below. I get the good sound through a blackface Deluxe Reverb Amp turned up to about 4 or more.

Comment

Unfortunately, I almost never get to get the volume above 3.5. I am looking forward to gettimg my Champ back so I can run it at about 8 or so with the Soul Food pushing it even more. Sometime after I get an interface, I plan on doing a proper video demo for this pedal using the Bassman and the Champ.
                            Go Packers!

Comment

The longer I play my Soul Food, the more I lower the gain and increase the volume.

In other words, the more I use it to push my amp (usually my Princeton, with a Rajin Cajun speaker).

It's an incredibly powerful tool.

Originally posted by nedcronin
                              Pretty much what you suggested Ink.
                              Originally posted by metalmachine
                              dont worry about it bro. even if we dont like it...... were just internet ppl. not real ppl. more like a hulicination of a mythical forest creature.

Comment

Working...
                              X