New MXR Univibe pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New MXR Univibe pedal

True uni-vibe or not, i love my Soul Vibe from BBE !
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vegetable View Post
      Sudden Onset GAS!!!

YUP, it does look good, and i do not have a sweet sounding phase yet !

wink-wink !
      Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Vibe is a weird effect.

There are the purists, for whom NOTHING but a real Vibe circuit is the deal. And I understand that.

For the rest though, the word Vibe has been used to cover a lot of sonic territory from Chorus to Phaser to Leslie, etc....Take each one as it is, love it for what it does, True Vibe or not....

Does that 99 thing do Phase 45??????
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
          I know your just messing around but there is a big difference between a tweaked phaser and a real light and photo cell Uni Vibe...
          Yep, totally poking fun...at all of us, including myself.

Obviously there is a big difference between the circuitry of the two pedal types you mention, but how big of a difference is there tonally? Both pedals sounded good to me, but I've never played either one. Can the differences be described in words, or is it more of a "feel" thing?

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
            apparently the voodoo labs micro vibe has a real opto-cell driven vibe circuit in a small box...ive often wondered if i should sell off my fulltone and downsize:
            I owned a micro vibe and regret selling it... it was very throbby and sounded like Robin Trower in a box.
            Guitar- Fender Starcaster/Ibanez Artist in CGCGCC tuning
            Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
            Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

Comment

The difference comes down to whether or not it uses a real opto-coupler in the modulation circuit, like the original did.

The Deja Vibe and the Micro Vibe are the only two current production pedals I know of that have this.

Everything else is a phaser + LFO. Nothing wrong with that, and some of them sound really good ... but it's not a Uni-Vibe unless it has an opto-coupler circuit in it.
              Band: www.colouredanimal.com
              Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
              Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

This just isn't true, I have a Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe, it and the full size Sweet Sound vibe use a real opto-circuit, and there are other boutique Vibe pedals that also do. They just cost more. I love the Mojo Vibe, it's the one pedal that I just saved my money for and bought new, because I wanted a good Vibe pedal. It also has both the "chorus" (the Vibe sound that most use) and also the "Vibrato" setting (which I also use myself sometimes), which the Micro Vibe doesn't have. The MV also has an internal switch to go between vintage (like the old ones), and modern (I think this brings in a buffer) sounds. The modern sound is brighter, but I like the vintage setting. It also will take an expression pedal to control the speed. I think it's best to bite the bullet and buy a better Vibe pedal, either the Fulltone one, or the Sweet Sound (either model, full-size or Mojo), they just nail the original sound better. There are others that I haven't tried, so can't comment on them, but there are a few real opto-circuit Vibes out there.

Al

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
                The difference comes down to whether or not it uses a real opto-coupler in the modulation circuit, like the original did.

The Deja Vibe and the Micro Vibe are the only two current production pedals I know of that have this.

Everything else is a phaser + LFO. Nothing wrong with that, and some of them sound really good ... but it's not a Uni-Vibe unless it has an opto-coupler circuit in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombiwoof View Post
                  This just isn't true, I have a Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe, it and the full size Sweet Sound vibe use a real opto-circuit, and there are other boutique Vibe pedals that also do. They just cost more. I love the Mojo Vibe, it's the one pedal that I just saved my money for and bought new, because I wanted a good Vibe pedal. It also has both the "chorus" (the Vibe sound that most use) and also the "Vibrato" setting (which I also use myself sometimes), which the Micro Vibe doesn't have. The MV also has an internal switch to go between vintage (like the old ones), and modern (I think this brings in a buffer) sounds. The modern sound is brighter, but I like the vintage setting. It also will take an expression pedal to control the speed. I think it's best to bite the bullet and buy a better Vibe pedal, either the Fulltone one, or the Sweet Sound (either model, full-size or Mojo), they just nail the original sound better. There are others that I haven't tried, so can't comment on them, but there are a few real opto-circuit Vibes out there.

Al
                  I've gone through a few vibes. The Micro Vibe does a really good job IMHO. I have had the Mini Deja Vibe and the expression controlled Deja vibe as well as the Hardwire Rotary pedal and the Danelectro cool cat vibe... All good pedals but I think for the simplicity and tone my favorite was the Micro Vibe. Depends what you are going after though. If you want more knobs and switches to really tweak with then get the Deja Vibe but if you want good vibe sounds in a decently affordable package check out the Micro vibe.

I'm probably gonna end up trying this new MXR Univibe just cause I'm in the market for some modulation or vibe and it will probably be 100 bucks so it is worth a try
                  Guitar- Fender Starcaster/Ibanez Artist in CGCGCC tuning
                  Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
                  Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

Comment

Originally posted by Zombiwoof View Post
                    This just isn't true ...
                    I didn't lie. Take note of the phrase "that I know of." There may be more, as you said.
                    Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                    Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                    Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                      Does that 99 thing do Phase 45??????
                      I watched the demo video and it doesn't sound like a 45 at all. 45 is a two stage phaser and 90 is a four stage, and unless the vintage switch is a stage selector (which would be an inappropriate name for the switch) then no, it doesn't do the 45 thing.

Side note, I had a vintage block logo 45 for a while and I recently got a Strymon Mobius that does a VERY good 45 impression.
                      Custom neck-thru strat
                      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                      1995 PRS CE24
                      D'avanzo #8
                      Breedlove Solo Concert
                      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                      1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                      Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

I recently got a Strymon Mobius
                        Well, your not the clone snob I thought you were, going digital and all...

Comment

I actually like my Dunlop from a few years ago. I'd like to try the Drybell.
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                            I actually like my Dunlop from a few years ago. I'd like to try the Drybell.
                            IME they vary a lot but the good ones sound pretty darn good!
                            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

The Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe is one pedal I'll save for one of these days (after I finish my RM4 setup)... speaking of vibes, I didn't like the EHX Wiggler very much. I must have a vibe again, but better than the last one.
                              Last edited by Jolly_Rancher; 01-24-2014, 06:53 AM.

Comment

I love the oxvibe I just picked up. It's huge, but can sound as subtle or over the top as you want. It absolutely loves my higher output buckers in front as well and doesn't thin out with a fuzz in front. It's also spooky quiet.
                                Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

Working...
                                X