Xotic BB Preamp vs. BB-AT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xotic BB Preamp vs. BB-AT?

I really thought TGP would be the place for this question, but it's not getting as much traffic as I'd hoped. So, I'll ask it here, too.

Has anyone spent quality time with both the standard BB and the special Andy Timmons version? I've had several BBs and always regret selling them. A while back, I found a BB-AT in a store, used, and grabbed it. However, I was in a period of non-playing, so I put it in a drawer for several months.

I pulled it out today to compare it to my new Soul Food and my trusty C6 SD-1. The BB-AT was different than I remember, smoother less in-your-face. I had to crank the gain and the treble to get it into the ballpark with the other two. What I remember of the standard BB was that 2/3 gain and a little bit of extra treble was enough to get what I wanted. No need to crank anything.

Am I simply remembering wrong, or is the AT really that much toned-down and polite compared to its orange brother?
    Last edited by Rich_S; 01-24-2014, 03:28 PM.
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun
Working...
X