Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighbors Router Causing Noise.

Hi folks,

There's a ticking sound coming through all of my amps and through research and trial and error I have narrowed the issue down to my new neighbor and her wireless router.

Having here reset her router or switch to the other channel is out of the question, so how do I shield myself from her signal??

A couple of things to help you out and to make you feel better:

It is not a preamp tube issue. I checked.

The problem occurs with 5 Mesa/Boogies, 4 Marshalls and 2 Fenders.

It doesn't matter which guitar I use although my Blue Floral Jem with the Bill Lawrence L500XL is immune to this issue when I use that pickup.

The problem occurs in all rooms of my house (I checked using my Fender Champ)

It is not MY router, because I turned mine off and the problem still occurs.

It is not my cell phone and no, I don't wear a watch when I play.

It is not anything else in my house because I turned everything (yes, everything) off and it still happens.

Help me Obi-wan Kenobi. You're my only hope.
    Last edited by Lucy Diamond; 01-27-2014, 09:04 AM.
    For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Re: Neighbors Router Causing Noise.

Hardwire your router onto the channel she is using and set your computer to download terabytes of crap for the next few days. Be sure to locate the antenna as high up and as close to this neighbor as possible. After a few days, she will change her network to different settings to get it working again. Problem solved.
    Originally posted by DreX
    Nearly everyone still in this thread should have me on ignore by now. The fact that they don't says everything.
    The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad.
    There's no substance to anything I have posted.
    Originally posted by Evan_Skopp
    I'm sure that'll be good for a few "likes" from your buddies.

Comment

Even if you are being sarcastic, you are giving her too much credit. She won't know to change her settings.
      For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

Comment

Veggie's idea sounds really good. Dunno if it would work but it has a real ring of the best of redneck engineering.

Comment

Some suggestions, but I'm also on the DocV's bandwagon.. Make her pay!!!!

Maybe its a ground loop - you using an isolated power supply or daisy chain?

Maybe try a different length cable or if you are using pedals try eliminating them 1 by one.

Comment

Are you in apartments or detached homes?

If you're in detached homes, it's not her router. Not unless she's opened up her router, removed all RF shielding and jacked the output up. I'd check your guitar cord for nicks.

You can call the FCC and they'll contact her, but they may come out and do an RF sweep and find a variety of problems that need "addressing", so I'd attempt to talk to her and maybe bring your Champ over and play.
            Originally posted by Funkfingers
            Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

Technically, the guitars are picking up the signal.

When I twist around, it gets better or worse and when I grip the strings, it stops.

When I roll off the tone and volume, it lessons.

Isolated power supply.

Problem occurs straight into amp.

A buddy of mine just suggested wi-fi wallpaper. :/

It might work.

Comment

Build Your Own WIFI Jammer: Build your own WIFI jammer using a 2.4GHz AV transmitters. In this video I will show you how you can build your own jammer to jam a WIFI connection. I will also explain how this works and the difference between jamming and interference. Wikipedia p…

Maybe she'll buy a new one if she thinks hers is broken?

Comment

I would kindly ask her to turn it off for 10 minutes to verify it is indeed the issue. Any sane person would entertain you.

If it is the issue, then you could say something like "thanks for doing that, it's really coming through my equipment after all. I'll need to think of how I can fix that on my end." She may even say how she can help at that point.
                  Last edited by DankStar; 01-27-2014, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                    I would kindly ask her to turn it off for 10 minutes to verify it is indeed the issue. Any sane person would entertain you.

If it is the issue, then you could say something like "thanks for doing that, it's really coming through my equipment after all. I'll need to think of how I can fix that on my end." She may even say how she can help at that point.

Yeah man...I'm right there with you. We are here today because that is not an option. You did say any SANE person would entertain me. So...here we are.

Comment

Glue some aluminum foil to the wall where her router is. Take a copper wire and attach one end to the aluminum foil and the other end to the ground of an electrical outlet. You've just made an effective shield that should block any EM interference from the other side. Probably costs about 10-15$ in supplies.
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Oh that's right, you're in the far east, aren't you. They don't need no stinkin' FCC regs. Get some foil, Line the back of some art or photos with it and hang them up on the wall from a picture wire. Run the picture wire to ground via a one-pole plug or to a metal building support.

Comment

Originally posted by jon the art guy View Post
                          Oh that's right, you're in the far east, aren't you. They don't need no stinkin' FCC regs. Get some foil, Line the back of some art or photos with it and hang them up on the wall from a picture wire. Run the picture wire to ground via a one-pole plug or to a metal building support.
                          Who me??

I'm in Northern New Jersey.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
                            Who me??

I'm in Northern New Jersey.
                            Pffft. Heheheheh I've nullified myself completely in this thread now. A good day to you all, I have pressing matters at the lobotomist. (bow)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't think it's her router. You said "ticking" and "touching the strings stops it." I'm thinking that DC has leaked into your ground, either from bad wiring or some appliance that has affected your grounding somehow.

I've battled this problem many times, and it's a hassle to figure out. Unplugging everything in the whole house is a good start. Also, sometimes the breakers in homes are really old and don't have enough amperage on each circuit.....we musicians use way more electricity than anyone would have decades ago.

If you figure it out, come back to this thread to let us know.
                              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
                              X