EHX Nano reliability issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EHX Nano reliability issues

Well, at least the second pedal of his series I have owned has died randomly. I had an LPB-1 die on me, and now a Small Stone... Anyone else have issues with them? Mine live on a pedal board, and I even have the big box Small Clone, and it's been perfect. I emailed them, and they'll fix it, but the $25 fee plus shipping just doesn't seem worth it. I can buy an MXR or even another Nano for barely more.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
    Originally posted by Securb
    The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Re: EHX Nano reliability issues

It must be all smt stuff inside. Have you done any preliminary testing. Hopefully it's just a jack or a switch.
    Hmm...

Comment

Originally posted by VanDerchuck View Post
      It must be all smt stuff inside. Have you done any preliminary testing. Hopefully it's just a jack or a switch.
      It is indeed all surface mount. I hate the stuff. I'm going to be messing with it more tonight probably. It lights up, and you can hear the swirl of it if the volume is really high on the amp, but no guitar signal, so who knows... I may just clone the old circuit and install it in the same box. Heck, I could buy a Behringer if I wanted a cheap SMT pedal...
      Last edited by trevorus; 01-28-2014, 09:50 AM.
      ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...

Comment

Do you have a simple signal trace of some kind? With a little but of poking around you can sometimes find simple fixes pretty easily.
        Hmm...

Comment

I could trace it with the oscilloscope, but I'm not sure I even want to bother, considering I don't have any good way of repairing the SMT stuff.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Comment

There's a bunch of good videos on YouTube that show you how. Even a few on how to use 1/8watt resistors and tantalum caps. Lots of flux.
            Hmm...

Comment

Oh, I know how, I just hate doing it. My hands are a bit too twitchy. Too much caffeine... The other problem is that it's not likely a bad resistor. They don't often go bad, but silicon devices are more prone.
              Last edited by trevorus; 01-28-2014, 12:06 PM.

Comment

What was it? And was it you that had a Box Of Rock clone with added clipping diodes, and if so where in the circuit did you put them?
                Hmm...

Comment

What was it? And was it you that had a Box Of Rock clone with added clipping diodes, and if so where in the circuit did you put them?
                  Yanked the board, everything worked. Put it back together, and it works still. How annoying.

I do have a BOR clone, but I've not added diodes, it doesn't need them, in my opinion.

Comment

Probably a bad solder connection at the input. Anyway, my BOR is getting clipping diodes because I have them, and nothing better to do.
                    Hmm...

Comment

Probably a bad solder connection at the input. Anyway, my BOR is getting clipping diodes because I have them, and nothing better to do.
                      Let me know how that works out. I'm interested, but I don't want to mod my particular one. I did find some germanium diodes that need a place eventually, but I think a diode based clipper is more appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by trevorus View Post
                        Let me know how that works out. I'm interested, but I don't want to mod my particular one. I did find some germanium diodes that need a place eventually, but I think a diode based clipper is more appropriate.
                        Yeah. Totally not worth it. But it gave me an opportunity to play with some cap values in the tone stack. So I guess it wasn't all that bad. Tried some led's, 1n4148's and some 1n914's. I put them before the volume pot. Not sure if it matters much on placement, but that was the least obtrusive spot to try.
                        Hmm...

Comment

Working...
                        X