Peavey TG Raxx vs Rockmaster preamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey TG Raxx vs Rockmaster preamp

Anyone have experience with these? Lots of info out there about the Rockmaster, but not much on the TG/TB Raxx. Wondering about overdriven & distorted sounds only, already know the specs on each.

Raxx is supposed to have much less gain...does it max out at classic rock / classic 70's metal / 80's LA metal / 90's grunge levels of distortion?

I would like the simplicity of one of the Raxx units, but I want to make sure it will get up to 80's or 90's metal. I will be running the preamp into the front of a Traynor YBA-1 that will drive a 4x12 with Celestion G12-65's. Guitars are Strat with vintage pickups, SG with Seth Lovers, and Kramer Focus 2000 with Distortion Mayhem set.

Re: Peavey TG Raxx vs Rockmaster preamp

Go for the Rockmaster. It'll do everything from 70s to death metal.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
    @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Indeed, the Rockmaster is what you want. It's the preamp used in the original Ultra amp.
      Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Comment

Yeah, the Rockmaster clips I have listened to sound good. And they are a lot easier to find than the TG Raxx or TB Raxx, that's for sure. I like the simplicity of the Raxx unit, however. Will probably pull the trigger on the first good deal I get, whether it's a Rockmaster or Raxx. Seems that resale prices are pretty stable if not rising, so not much risk if I decide to sell either one.

Comment

I've been using a Rockmaster into Classic 60/60 power amp for almost a year now. I couldn't be happier. Never used the other two you mentioned. Only issue I had was a kinda cocked-wah sound and wanted a little more low-mids. Swapping coupling cap c14 from a .001uF to a .0022uF solved the problem for me. There's a couple others you can change(was going to do c17 next), but I was happy after just the first mod so I stopped there. I play metal and don't use the clean channel that often but can get a really nice clean sound from it. When I use it though it's going through my ancient GSP5 that I have running in the clean effects loop. Also have a Planet Waves, Boss SD-1, and MXR Smart Gate in front of the preamp, and a Joyo Analog Delay in the global effects loop.

Comment

Working...
          X