Should I use pedals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I use pedals?

Hi guys, I'm very conflicted on whether to use pedals or not. I'm pretty knew to using amps and stuff, I used to just run a Digitech RP 355. I finally upgraded and decided to go with Soldano SLO 100. The sound is great, but would running a pedal board with distortion pedals, delay, reverb, compressors, etc open me up to better sound opprotunites or would it take out the awesome natural sound of the amp?

Re: Should I use pedals?

Originally posted by zachhenninger98 View Post
    Hi guys, I'm very conflicted on whether to use pedals or not. I'm pretty knew to using amps and stuff, I used to just run a Digitech RP 355. I finally upgraded and decided to go with Soldano SLO 100. The sound is great, but would running a pedal board with distortion pedals, delay, reverb, compressors, etc open me up to better sound opprotunites or would it take out the awesome natural sound of the amp?
    With an amp like that I would just use the amps distortion and use delay pedals or modulation pedals in front. You could also run some fuzzes into the SLO too for a different flavor of dirt.

I personally use pedals even with amps known for great gain so take my advice FWIW lol
    Guitar- Fender Starcaster/Ibanez Artist in CGCGCC tuning
    Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
    Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

Comment

Jesus, when you upgrade you don't mess around!

Comment

I'd suggest a minimum of pedals with that amp, personally. A boost, your favorite grit pedal, a good fuzz, and a delay and reverb for the fx loop at maximum. The SLO is one of those pinnacle amps that people shape their entire music writing around. I don't think it'd be worth trying to turn it into something it's not by using a variety of different pedals on it.

You've jumped straight to the mojo rig, man. Might as well bask in the mojo.

(shrug) or not. I ain't yo momma. It's arguable that the Soldano is the perfect platform for testing pretty much any rock or metal tone and pedal in that British/hi-gain vibe, and I'm willing to bet you're going to get the best out of anything you put in front of it.
        Originally posted by Funkfingers
        Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

Damn that's a hell of an upgrade, congrats! I wouldn't limit yourself to using only the amp, even though you've got a great range of tones in there. Some modulation is important IMO to give you more texture to work with. A good delay will let you go everywhere from classic slapback to wide ambient sounds that fill out a part, a chorus or flanger will add shimmer and dimension to clean and overdriven sounds. A good OD pedal will give you a slightly different feel to play with, and could make the whole amp more responsive to your playing style, and volume knob adjustments (if that's your thing).

I agree that you likely won't need very much, but with maybe 2-3 effects and a boost or OD you will have a swiss army-like setup that may keep you inspired for a long time. Since that amp should have plenty of gain on tap I'd recommend trying out some delays or flangers. With the right flanger you can go everywhere from mild chorus to an almost-phaser like sound, to grinding swoosh noises. And again, the ambience that you can add with a delay could make the difference, I find it helps me to think outside the box sometimes. Good luck with your new sounds!
          • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
          • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
          • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
          • G&L Tribute Comanche
          • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
          • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
          • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Only YOUR ears can decide.

That said - if you bought that and DON'T love the dirt sound, you are an idiot. Not because the dirt sound is good - but because you dropped the dime on that (lots and lots of dimes!) without loving it. As mentioned - that is a helluva move and now you are asking about "Will it sound better with pedals?"

Bottom line is if it sounds good it is good. Try any and everything. I don't remember reading that there were any "rules" anywhere.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

If you like Hendrixy style fuzz tones and SRVish low-gain tones, then get pedals that do that. If not, don't waste the money. I've not had the pleasure of an SLO 100 in my face, so I can't say if you need a drive booster in front of it or not. Clean boost or OD is up to you and your style of music.

Coloring pedals like Chorus and whatnot are up to you.

If, however, you prefer the wider variety offered by those multi-effect units, your best bet would be to just get a poweramp and run a rack preamp that did everything, because there's really no sense in having such a revered amp only to run various different tone-defining gain pedals through.
              Originally posted by Brown Note
              I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
              My Blog

Comment

If you are happy with your sound as is, then enjoy it for now and add more as you see fit.

The one thing about going from the guitar center special amp to the freakin big league chew is that the soldano will reveal any inherent crappyness in your other gear. I'm sure you are also finding that you probably need to play a little cleaner as well

Man...this is a great time for you. You can start looking into all kinds of cool handmade $h!t now that you can hear and feel the difference. I can't waaaaaaaait to read about what you decide on.

Good luck and enjoy your new amp in good health man.

~LD

PS - As a more direct answer to your original question "Should I use pedals." As long as your bills are paid, you aren't hurting anyone and anyone you have to take care of is taken care of, you should do what pleases you when it pleases you. There are no rules AT ALL. You will love your amps natural tone for a while...then you will buy pedals and change it...then you will go back. It's a cycle we all go through.

Welcome to the heavy hitters club
                Last edited by Lucy Diamond; 01-31-2014, 01:08 PM.
                For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

I'd learn the amp first and then would "only" put some time based effects in the loop and not in front of that amp...Learn how to use the amp first though!
                  Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                    Jesus, when you upgrade you don't mess around!
                    No doubt! Talk about going from your everyday grocery getter to a Ferrari!

I don't think you need any distortion pedal. Maybe an overdrive and chorus, delay, phaser ect. All depends on what you're into.

Comment

So, just curious but are you getting the Soldano because it's a Soldano, or because it fits best with the style you play? For reference, I wouldn't know what to do with a Soldano, but I would go crazy for a 2 channel Hovercraft Dwarvonaut or a Sunn T.

I'm just saying it in case you were shooting for the name only. There's many, many amps out there for way cheaper that may fit the bill as well. 5150s are exceptional rock and metal amps and you can also build a full stack and full pedalboard for the price of a SLO head.

all right, I'm done being Debbie Downer in this thread. Tear some sh!t up.
                      Originally posted by Funkfingers
                      Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
                        I'd learn the amp first...
                        ^ This. Any time I buy a new piece of gear, I find it takes a bit of use to get to know it. Don't change too many variables at once; better to spend some time living with the amp alone to see what you can get out of it. Then add pedals slowly over time, keeping only what works for you. The best setup is the one that has only what you need, and nothing more.
                        Originally posted by DreX
                        Nearly everyone still in this thread should have me on ignore by now. The fact that they don't says everything.
                        The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad.
                        There's no substance to anything I have posted.
                        Originally posted by Evan_Skopp
                        I'm sure that'll be good for a few "likes" from your buddies.

Comment

like others have said, learn the amp first. once you know what its strengths and weaknesses are then worry about pedals.

that said, there is no reason to not use pedals to augment and accent what your amp can do if you so choose

Comment

Me personally I only run one pedal in front of my amp and thats a wah pedal. But if I had a Slo I would run just guitar and amp but then again 100watts is over kill for me in all my situations. But like others have stated I suggest you learn the amp first then decide what other types of sounds you want to get from your amp.

I have to ask though why did you buy a SLO?
                            Originally posted by KBliss
                            WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                            Originally posted by trevorus
                            The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Alright, thanks for all the help guys! For now I'll get to know the amp, and see what I can get out of it. Then, I'll add pedals as I see fit if I feel I need them. For those who asked why the SLO, I looked at a lot of playthroughs on the interwebs and man, people got some sick tones out of it. I play hard rock and heavy metal, and the tones people got were just incredible, so I had to get one, despite the 4,000 dollar drop. I might as well burn the old 355, except it's metal... (see what I did there).

Comment

Working...
                              X