Reverb or Delay? Or Both?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverb or Delay? Or Both?

Reverb or delay? Or both? I have been reading that some people dislike reverb and use delay in place of reverb. Where do you guys personally stand for your needs? Clean and dirt applications...
    Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
    Roland Cube 60
    Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
    BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
    LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
    Mogami Cables
    Mooer Candy Toppers
    Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
    Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Re: Reverb or Delay? Or Both?

Do any of you guys use them together (delay w slow repeats)?
    Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
    Roland Cube 60
    Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
    BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
    LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
    Mogami Cables
    Mooer Candy Toppers
    Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
    Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Comment

I like a little bit of both. I have a Earthquaker Devices Dispatch Master that has both and you can mix them to varying levels. I set them fairly low, just enough to be noticed but not enough to be overwhelming. At least with this pedal, they both sound great together.

Comment

If I can I use both. But if I had to chose just one ill go with verb over delay. Yes you can get a subtle type of reverb with a slap back type of delay but i'm the type of person that when I use verb it's all or nothing and when I hit that switch everyone in the room will know.
        Originally posted by KBliss
        WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
        Originally posted by trevorus
        The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

I use them both, but usually for different styles of music, so rarely together. Reverb for blues, surf, or jazz. Delay for space or '80s.

Yes, I am lame.
          Originally posted by DreX
          Nearly everyone still in this thread should have me on ignore by now. The fact that they don't says everything.
          The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad.
          There's no substance to anything I have posted.
          Originally posted by Evan_Skopp
          I'm sure that'll be good for a few "likes" from your buddies.

Comment

Both

"Scalloped & Stickered"
            A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

I used both a lot with my last project, but kind of got bored with reverb. I'm more of a delay guy, but I try to be subtle with it.
              - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

A little of both.

Comment

I use delay only. But I have a gigging amp with a nice spring reverb now and on clean stuff I may use it. For dirt, I doubt anyone can hear it live unless you are the only guitar.

sigpic

Comment

I use them both where they're appropriate for the song. Could be one, the other, both, or neither. Whatever sounds right to me.
                    Originally posted by Rockstar216
                    Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

Both. EVH would often use a nice subtle studio plate verb in addition to delay.
                      Custom neck-thru strat
                      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                      1995 PRS CE24
                      D'avanzo #8
                      Breedlove Solo Concert
                      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                      1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                      Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Generically, delay gives you the perception of depth while reverb gives the sense of volume in room size. Delay can also be used very nicely for a great deal of other effects.

I use both.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarGuy503 View Post
                          Reverb or delay? Or both? I have been reading that some people dislike reverb and use delay in place of reverb. Where do you guys personally stand for your needs? Clean and dirt applications...

BOTH . . . in the same box, in the form of the Boss RE-20.
                          Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

I prefer reverb. I had a delay pedal I hadn't used for months, so I just sold it. It was a digital delay - very clean and all, but I found it kind of uninteresting. I wouldn't mind having a nice delay with a little modulation going on at the same time though - like the Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport - which has a touch of vibrato you can mix with the delay. I'd probably use that instead of reverb, and I wouldn't replace the reverb on my existing boards, but I'd build a new small board with it on it. I have a 'verb on two boards that I dedicate to different guitars, and no reverb or delay on a third board, which has an H&K Tube Rotosphere that gives me plenty of "space". Whether it's reverb, or delay, or something like the Rotosphere, I like some kind of modulation or time based pedal at the end of the chain to thicken up the sound a bit and provide some added dimension.
                            Last edited by mrpinter; 02-01-2014, 04:37 AM.

Comment

I like them both.

I ALWAYS (almost) play with reverb. I use very little generally. ~ 3 on the klnob or less.

I really like delay. I generally use it with reverb. See above.

Sometimes, but not often, I want Delay without Reverb.

Live:

I generally prefer ONLY delay - as there is reverb naturally. Room verb + verb = yuck.

Live EXCEPTION:

Outdoors - there is no reverb. See above on amount of reverb.

Clean - I generally use a little more reverb. I use less delay - shorter and lower levels. I might use more repeats.

Dirty - I generally use less reverb. I use more delay - longer and higher levels. Often less repeats, but it could vary.
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X