Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Soliciting opinions on: Spector NS-2002B and a practice or low-end amp

Tone Member

Default Soliciting opinions on: Spector NS-2002B and a practice or low-end amp

Hi Folks,

I have played guitar for 39 years and I just bought my first bass, a Spector NS-2002B for $165 including shipping. First of all, it appears that Spector is a relatively nice brand. Would you agree or disagree that the NS-2002B is a good first bass? Secondly, I haven't bought an amp yet. Any recommendations for an inexpensive practice or low-end amp?

Thanks,

Jeff

Default Re: Soliciting opinions on: Spector NS-2002B and a practice or low-end amp

Ashdown. Or an EBS T90. But good speakers don't come cheap.
    And welcome to the forum.
    PC

Funkfingers

Default Re: Soliciting opinions on: Spector NS-2002B and a practice or low-end amp

tc electronic bg250-112.

How inexpensive? And what wattage? I picked up a Kustom 30w practice combo that's very workable, but that would probably be too weak for anything bigger than coffee shop gigs.

And yes, Spectors are good gear. I've got a Legend Classic and an NS2000-4.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Im have one of the current models of Peavy Max 110, which is small practice amp, 100 watts and a 10" seaker so it can do gigs in small venues too. Has a bunch of tone/EQ options. A lot of amp for the money.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
    How inexpensive? And what wattage? I picked up a Kustom 30w practice combo that's very workable, but that would probably be too weak for anything bigger than coffee shop gigs.

And yes, Spectors are good gear. I've got a Legend Classic and an NS2000-4.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    It's 10 watts - single speaker. I just need it for when I start recording stuff for youtube and or soundcloud. If it's anything like my Crate practice guitar amp, it should be okay. I guess the question becomes, how high should I bid (including shipping) before abandoning it and looking elsewhere? Glanced at reviews here: http://www.activebass.com/r5223--Crate-MXB10

Tone Member

My bid on the Crate is $56.90 and I really don't want to blow more than $75 on an amp for an instrument I'm not yet proficient at.

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro_Dull View Post
    My bid on the Crate is $56.90 and I really don't want to blow more than $75 on an amp for an instrument I'm not yet proficient at.
    I dunno, you may want to bump your budget up to 150. You can get a wide variety of decent 100w solid state bass amps for that. Like with guitar, a bad amp can really ruin the experience. Granted, you don't need a lot of gadgets on a bass amp, but a full and rich tone is important. Also, if you're going to play with anyone, you'll need a fair amount more wattage than the guitarist. Unless you play with SEASONED players.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkfingers View Post
    Music is for life. Without parole.

go to Guitar Center Used
    search on "digitech"
    get one of the "BP" series pedals
    most are less that $50
    they have several amp models
    headphone out ( sose you dont aggravate everyone with you newbishness )
    it has drum loops to practice with
    because bass, unlike guitar, is part of the rhythm section

when you become proficient, get a powered speaker
    Carvin makes one some 400W 15's that are nice
    but again, GC used has them in droves

or just jack into the PA

had a friend that never carried an amp to the gig
    just his bass and a preamp

he sounded just fine
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

This is where someone mentions the Swiss Army Knife for bass: the SansAmp Bass Driver.

Sent from my iPad using a bunch of electrons, copper, and probably some fiber optical cable
    "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

I own two Spector NS-2002B bass guitars (bought from original owners). As a luthier/tech shop I obviously do all luthier/tech work on them. Here's my take on them:

For the current market price of $250-$300 they are a very good buy. I think it originally sold for around $500 USD. Spector marketed this model as being along the lines of a performance guitar at an entry-level price. Unmodified it's a decent bass but you'll need a quality amp setup to find real satisfaction. They are a solid instrument which should be on any list of best bass guitars under $300. With a minor investment, you can push it up to play like a $800+ bass.

Some people want to know about the NS-2002B vs NS-2000 or similar era models. Here's info on that:

Overall the 2002B is a good quality bass in regards to style, finish, electronics, hardware, etc. It makes for a very good for an affordable entry-level to intermediate level bass. Mine are at the 20-year mark and they have held up very well. It's comfortable to play - neck feels good, weight is good, etc. The same can be said for the NS-2000 bass.

Electronics are the defining difference. The NS-2002B has EMG-SSD pickups which are passive pickups made by EMG per Stuart Spector specifications (thus the SSD). For me, the stock EMG-SSD pickups are decent with a good bass amp pickups but don't deliver a "big tone". Fortunately, but for a few dollars, you can make a solid upgrade using Seymour-Duncan pickups. The NS-2000 has EMG-HZ active pickups with EMG BTS Tone Circuit. Comparing the two, this is a huge difference. Obviously you can upgrade the NS-2002B with a preamp and immediately have a bass as good or better than the NS-2000. There are several good options for preamps and the upgrade is relatively straightforward. Check out theSeymour-Duncan Active Bass Preamp Wiring Kit to get an idea of what you can do to get more from your NS-2002B bass.

Bottom line, the NS-2002B is a good buy for a beginner to an intermediate player. It can easily be upgraded to take things to an entirely higher level of playability.Name:  ns-2002b-brochure-ad.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  53.9 KB
    Last edited by ArtisanLuthiers; 09-28-2019 at 09:41 AM. Reason: After further thought updated review to improve user value.
    The real secret to a happy life is making good decisions. Contemplate the outcomes of your actions.
    Guitar Pickups Installation

Ultimate Tone Member

Do you currently have a PA powered speaker? If so, it's a good bass practice amp. For cheap you can get a Behringer BDI21, a Zoom B1 Four, a Tech21 BDDI/VTBass, or (what I did) an Ampeg SCR-DI.
    You can also look for old Peavey bass amps, they are cheap and reliable.