X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Perpetual burn

Originally posted by CTN View Post
    oh man that sounds like tone sex.
    Like REALLY INCREDIBLE OMG tone sex!!! I'm sold!!!

Do not be wise in words - be wise in deeds.

Comment

Originally posted by elelpe View Post
      I bet that's not enough and somebody's gonna put A8 or UOA5 in it
      We all know that will happen, and that means we might glean two or three pickups out of this pickup. The main thing is that it's a 12K pickup, which has always been somewhat of a hole in the Duncan humbucker line. It's a good output that to a classic guy is like a hotrodded PAF, and to a metal guy is a more sensitive and toneful hot pickup.

If Jason Becker and Michael Lee Firkins made the call, I know it's something that sounds good.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by DarkMatter View Post
        In regards to those asking about TB bobbin colors, it's probably not economically realistic. Volume of sales for TB's has to be significantly lower than the standard size. They probably order bobbins in huge lots. SD has to make the smart buy.

Not sure why they have them in neon pink and green though.
        They could just start making all bridge pickups trembucker spaced. Just about all guitars these days would use them in the bridge, and for those few with standard spaced bridges, there's people that believe that it's just a visual thing anyway. (Not to mention, a trembucker spaced pickup under standard spaced strings is still going to have all the strings lined up closer to the poles than the other way around.)

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
        @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Are we still using DCR as a measurement of output?? Oh my.

Someone described it to me today as a little like the 59/C hybrid, but not quite as bright.

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post

Someone described it to me today as a little like the 59/C hybrid, but not quite as bright.

Enlighten me, I'm here to learn.
            Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
              Enlighten me, I'm here to learn.
              DCR is a typical measurement that can show you how much wire is on the pickup. While that may translate as output or brightness, that's not necessarily true in all cases. For the pickup owner, the most important part of DCR is that you can measure it and make sure that both coils are working.

Dimarzio Steve Morse Bridge:

Wiring: 4 Conductor
              Magnet: Ceramic
              Output mV: 450
              DC Resistance: 9.94 Kohm
              Year of Introduction: 1983

Dimarzio Steve Morse Neck:

Wiring: 4 Conductor
              Magnet: Ceramic
              Output mV: 250
              DC Resistance: 21.00 Kohm
              Year of Introduction: 1985

Going from resistance only, you'd be lead to believe that the neck pickup is twice as hot as the bridge.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
              @ArizonaVoters

Comment

^^^ this ^^^

Comment

^Ok, that makes sense, thanks.^

Could somebody that knows post the Mv number for the Perpetual Burn, the Screamin' Demon, or anything else that would make a good neck pickup to go with the Perpetual Burn?

Last edited by Gone_Shootin; 02-13-2014, 10:14 AM.

Comment

There have been many threads about mV output and Duncans and DiMarzios and the testing methods.

Here's one of them...

and another...

It boils down to this...without the exact same testing method it's pointless to compare mV output of pickups because the mV output changes based on the testing method used. So comparing all the DiMarzio's to each other is fine since they're tested the same way. Unless DiMarzio lets Duncan use their exact test setup the mV numbers Duncan would get testing on their own using their own method would only be useful when comparing them to other Duncans tested in the same exact way. It's not a standardized test like reading the DC resistance is.
                    www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Yes, mV measurements are frequency-dependent, change with things like pick attack and there is currently no industry standard for measurement, so, even if Duncan posted mV specs, you likely couldn't take those numbers and compare them against DiMarzio's mV numbers.

I'm currently noodling with some concepts for a mechanical rig that would accurately recreate testing conditions between pickups, allowing for consistent measurement of output across multiple frequency ranges to create a database of outputs for well-known pickups that others could reference. Unfortunately, it may be a while before I get to constructing anything, but, if I do, I'll certainly post the details...

Oh yeah, and mV still won't describe the "feel" of a pickup and has only a limited application in understanding a pickup's real-life tone.
                      Last edited by Masta' C; 02-13-2014, 11:05 AM.

Comment

That's kind if a murky subject, lol.

Ok, so maybe that Screamin' Demon I have might not work in the neck. What pickups is everybody else thinking about using with the Perpetual Burn?
                        Last edited by Gone_Shootin; 02-13-2014, 11:36 AM.

Comment

It kinda sounds like a JB lite from that description.

Like what the DDn/Seymourizer is to the Distortion, this will be to the JB.

Actually really excited Duncan is filling the gap between the vintage stuff and the Custom family. Now we have this, the 59/c, the Demon, and the Seymourizer all between 10 and 13k with a5 or ceramic.

oooooo Maybe it will work really nice in the neck with a JB in the bridge!
                          Last edited by Falloffthebonetone; 02-17-2014, 10:45 AM.

Comment

The MV might not be the same from one vendor to another, but if SD has something that is relative among the SD models, that could be a huge help.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
                              You guys really need to switch over to the same size bobbin, but with wider pole spacing for tremspaced (ala DiMarzio, Suhr, Motor City, etc).

Ever try to stuff a Trembucker into a metal pickguard?
                              I second this, duncan trembuckers are the only ones that rub the PG and sometime it pulls the tape down that is wrapped around the coils
                              back to the perp burn model really lookin forward it.
                              Excellent deals with,
                              Frank falbo,Rockstarnick,SrDeMaFp,Joyouswolf,SFW,gpengui ns
                              Jacksontrader,Latsmcgee,IndySG,Ghostmaker,
                              slaveunit,atreidesheir,appar111,ex-250,dominus,
                              guitarkingdomworks,appar111,ginoames,chickencoop,
                              51501984,guitarfreak,notesfield,raybarbeemusic,
                              king izzo,Tone scavenger,Heem6,Checo,metalmachine,MetLking

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                                We all know that will happen, and that means we might glean two or three pickups out of this pickup. The main thing is that it's a 12K pickup, which has always been somewhat of a hole in the Duncan humbucker line.
                                My gut instinct says 12k is no more of a hole than 42.5 AWG wire is a hole - being that ~14k of 43 AWG (a/k/a custom series) is roughly equivalent of 8-9k 42 AWG (most of the vintage-sounding humbuckers SD offers) or even 16+k 44 AWG (The JB and everything else)

10k 43 awg is the screamin' demon, and 10k 42 awg is the brobucker - that's the closest DCR I've seen any two pickups which use different wire gauages.

Just sayin'.
                                Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                                I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Working...
                                X