banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Been selling off pedals lately... yet... playing more!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been selling off pedals lately... yet... playing more!

Had to sell off quite a few pedals over Christmas... even flipped a few off of craigslist. I noticed as the pedal count went down, the mucking around and twisting knobs went down and I'm actually playing! What a shocker! Lol, I'm not knocking pedals at all... just my behavior. I'm one of those who can't handle too many choices and will end up fiddling rather than really playing.

It's been quite a liberating experience, and I've even learned to make some of the noise a flanger or a phaser makes without them... I'm down to just my wah, an od, a fuzz (not on the board though), univibe, and a delay. Had SO MANY things before hahahaha!
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Re: Been selling off pedals lately... yet... playing more!

I've been picking up more pedals, but splitting off into multiple pedal boards. I had 4 drive pedals on one board, and it was a bit excessive. Dropped to two, and I'm loving just using one most of the time, and exploring my volume knob, and my right hand dynamics.

Sent from my chromed robot turd, using the miserable junk code known as crapatalk.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
    Originally posted by Securb
    The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Some view pedals as creative igniters.

I see them as a hindrance.

Just a bunch of "this pedal, that pedal, sounds this way, sounds that way, twist this, turn that, first in line, last in line, second in line, level up, level down, less of this, more of that" bull$hit.

I've always shook my head at those people. Glad you've seen the light.
      Last edited by Van Noord; 02-11-2014, 10:53 AM.
      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

May even ditch my board and just strew what I use across the floor old school style lol. I do need new volume pots for my guitar now though... rolling them back a lot is wearing em out lol.
        Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

Too many choices = no studio results for me.

I sometimes write songs around a certain guitar/amp/effect, and make myself stick to a limited range of gear until the song is done. The only pedals I regularly use are a noisegate and Boss Giga Delay. The rest are just the icing on the cake (or sometimes mega distractions).
          Mesa/Boogie MkIII+ & MkIVb + Mark Series Stack
          Marshall JVM410H
          Charvel 650 Custom-EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
          Charvel San Dimas I Koa USA BKP + Style 1 2H - JB/'59, Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
          ESP Eclipse II EMG 81/60 + Viper Urban Camo + JH-600 SPC (2)
          Carvin DC400CA + DC127T Koa - DD/'59
          Fender Custom Yngwie Strat - Seafoam Green w/rosewood, Fender Yngwie Strat - Sonic Blue w/maple, Fender Telecaster
          Charvel 475 Deluxe + 475 Exotic PATB set
          Ibanez UV7BK, B.C. Rich Eagle - Evo2/Air Norton

Comment

Sometimes the sound really does inspire the riff, especially with delays and modulation. I don't do much futzing around when writing, but when recording I like having lots of options sound-wise, even if I may be the only person who notices.

I am however a VERY prolific writer, averaging a song per week; so for me there is little that slows me down!
            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Yeah man, this is great OP.

I spent about 15 or 16 years just plugging into an amp and it just makes you think differently.

I remember when Far Beyond Driven came out, I'd squeek my strings off the fretboard and it sounded right to me and I though that's what Dime was doing.

I definitely love pedals but in very subtle settings that just add to the top like sprinkles. I would never make a whole cake with pedals like...say...The Edge. (wait...why did that just turn into a baking reference...I don't bake)

whoa...

Anyway...yeah man.
              For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

this is a cool thread.
                "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by Van Noord View Post

Just a bunch of "this pedal, that pedal, sounds this way, sounds that way, twist this, turn that, first in line, last in line, second in line, level up, level down, less of this, more of that" bull$hit.

yeah that is wise... just judge people who do something different than you.

Seriously I'm sick of the purists thinking that Guitar->Amp is the only way to play.. Open your eyes and ears. I have heard amazing tones from just amp users and pedal into clean amp users. It is all preference so no need to "shake your head" at people who use pedals...
                  Guitar- Fender Starcaster/Ibanez Artist in CGCGCC tuning
                  Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
                  Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

Comment

I've gone through several phases of lots of pedals, no pedals and somewhere in between. Each situation has its benefits, and each has its downside. Personally, I've never been much of a knob tweaker... I find the settings I like fairly quickly, and I only really fool with them if I'm in dire need of a new sound, or if I get a new amp or something.
                    Go Packers!

Comment

I have a single 18w amp that I can use daily, and while it sounds nice cranked, the range of distorted tones with a pedal (GGG Marshall Bluesbreaker Copy) can go from CCR - SRV - ZZ Top - Eric Johnson on the same guitar with the volume knob. Which you can't do without the pedal. Without, you go from excellent jazz sound to excellent rock sound, without the piano-like bass of SRV or the grind of ZZ top, or the sweet leads of Eric Johnson in between.

It's absolutely a crutch, in the same way a guitar pick is a crutch when compared when using only your fingers. Or, in the same way a guitar is a crutch as compared against a full symphony orchestra. I'm just saying, these things are popular for a reason.
                      Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                      I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

This is precisely the reason I dumped the the ZOOM Effects processor a year back. I was fiddling around more and playing less. Turning this turning that all the time. Around 2 years back I started plugging directly into the amp and enjoyed my playing all the more. So i decided to sell it off. ( I actually gave it for almost free). A nice distortion/overdrive and some delay/reverb stomp box is nice and is probably a must. I think I I most probably would never ever go for a Multieffect unit again. Sure it falls more economic and is easier to carry around then a bunch of pedals. But I know I just want overdrive/distortion and some delay/reverb. Phaser is one thing I might most probably pickup.
                        Last edited by Jocelyn; 02-11-2014, 11:50 PM.
                        sigpic
                        Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
                        JFG Flying V,
                        "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
                        John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

I've gone full circle about three times with this, and what I've come up with is this.

I know what I need for music, first and foremost. That's usually one formula that consists of a great amp with one boost/OD pedal that melds the most naturally with it....and the main guitars that are 'you.'

After that, you've got a lot of other amps. If you have the opportunity to try a lot of dirt pedals with all of them, you eventually find out which OD sounds perfect with a particular amp.

Those amps are probably good amps you love, but aren't your main rig. This is where the experimentation comes into play. If you need a tone, you not only have an amp you know will work, you know which boost pedals plays the best with it.
                          Last edited by Gearjoneser; 02-12-2014, 02:47 AM.
                          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

You're totally right. What kind of hack needs to use pedals on a regular basis?

Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Hope you've had good luck on Craigslist. Seems like everyone on Cleveland's Craiglist are either broke or low ballers. Had someone offer me $35 for an almost new Foxrox Octron, and $100 for a brand new, never used Damage Control Solid Metal, LOL.

Ebay had a special 2 weeks ago where you could list any item for sale for free. I cleaned up on there, sold like 12 pedals with zero fees.

Comment

Working...
                              X