Dynacomp vs Supercomp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynacomp vs Supercomp?

I'm planning on getting a compressor pedal, and I'm set on one of the MXR's. They seem to be the most bang for the buck (or swedish krona, really). However, I can't find a comparison of the two. Is the Supercomp essentially a Dynacomp with the additional knob? If so, it's the given buy, since thomann.de sells them for exactly the same price...

Edit: Gonna use it for clean electric 6 and 12 string stuff.
    Last edited by Psykel; 02-12-2014, 04:30 AM.

Re: Dynacomp vs Supercomp?

No! No no no no!!!!!!!!!

Compressors are peculiar things. There is the musical use of a compressor, and then there is the "effect" of compression.

Effect of Compression example: The Police "Every Breathe You Take" or most any plucky country Telecaster. The classic Squashed note envelope.

Musical Use of a Compressor: Taking an acoustic guitar with some slightly uneven string response (construction, wood, wound G string) and a live performance somewjhat uneven picking situation, and setting a compressor to even out the levels so that certain notes don't boom stupid loud and ruin the performance.

There is more, but you get the idea. The MXR is a pedal for those wanting the "Effect" and I'm not seeing that for an acoustic. What I suspect you want is an extremely transparent Compressor. One that does it's job and does not sound like it is pumping/squashing/quashing or adding a lot of noise. MAybe you want it to get an acoustic to sit in the mix well with other instruments.

Maybe you want more sustain - if so, you'll want a dead silent one because comps often add noise along with sustain and that can really crap up an acoustic sound.

I use a Monte Allums modded Boss CS-3 with my acoustic. I would not use an MXR, the basic or the Super models. And, above all learning about the attack, sustain, and level functions is key (or more). I like the Boss with the Acoustic also because it has a tone knob.

Tell us more about what you want it to do and why MXR?
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Think:

Kelley 4 knob
      Carl Martin
      Modded Boss
      Wampler Ego

Do not cheap on the comp with your acoustic. And learn how to use them!

Comment

It's the effect part you mentioned, especially for electric 12.Think The Byrds, Tom Petty, R.E.M. kind of stuff. Arpeggio rhythm playing and riffs/solos. Also for spanky funk rhythms and plucky picking on a 6 string. I'm not interested in using it on acoustic. Seeing as the MXR is hailed as one of the best around, it was my first choice.

Comment

It's a sight more expensive, but it does the squish thing REALLY well, plus it has a treble control -- the Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone. I have one and REALLY love it. It will totally do what you are looking for. I don't have a 12 string guitar, but I have a Nashville guitar that I use to double standard tuned 6 string parts and it sounds great in that application. It is also my go-to comp for bass guitar.

It is NOT subtle and NOT transparent, however.
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I love my Dyna Comp BUT... The MXR Dyna Comp has changed a lot over the years.

The script reissue is great and the white Custom Comp is good too...don't live the Super Comp.

The Philosophers Tone is great too, different but great.

I also love Orange Squeezer comps too...I use the Hartman version myself but I don't think that's gonna fit your needs based on what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I like the Dynacomp. I have not used the Supercomp.
              Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
              https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
              Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Also, take your guitar into a store and plug into one using a similar amp to yours. If you like it, go for it.

You'll likely get the cork sniffers telling you to only buy xyz compressor for $300, because it's the holy grail. Or only get THIS version of a particular pedal.

Maybe that's true. Then again, if you're satisfied with a $60 compressor, why waste the Benjamins?

Script, block, who cares if you like the sound
                Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

I have found that having the attack control makes a comp a lot more versatile. The old Dynacomps were pretty much a one-trick pony, in that the preset attack made it pump at higher compression (sensitivity) settings, so most guys set the sensitivity low and cranked the level. In that respect, the Super Comp would be better, if you are limiting yourself to MXR stuff, as it has the attack control.
                  My two favorite comps are both BBE pedals: The Orange Squash, which is based on the Orange Squeezer, with added true bypass, LED, and attack pot, and the Bench Press, a Ross Comp (which was an "improved" DynaComp) clone also with TB, LED, and attact pot. The Orange Squash sounds great at any compression setting, with no "pumping", the Bench Press is a great Ross comp-sound, with the improvements. For the old DynaComp sound, I use a Whirlwind Red Box, which is a handwired script DC clone with LED and TB, designed by a guy from the original MXR company. No attack pot on that one, so I use it as described previously, sensitivity low and level up.

Al

Comment

Well, I'm mostly looking at the MXR ones because of the small footprint and the low price. Also, some pedals are hard to come by in Sweden. Which means expensive boutique pedals will be super expensive if I order from the US. However, I've been considering the Xotic SP Compressor (retails at about twice the price of the MXR's, but still at a non-mind boggling amount). Anyone got an opinion on those?

Comment

I know some pros who like the Carl Martin. I use stock Boss CS-3 pedals on both my acoustic and electric pedalboards. I also have the BBE Bench Press and their Opto-Stomp.

Bill
                      When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Psykel View Post
                        It's the effect part you mentioned, especially for electric 12.Think The Byrds, Tom Petty, R.E.M. kind of stuff. Arpeggio rhythm playing and riffs/solos. Also for spanky funk rhythms and plucky picking on a 6 string. I'm not interested in using it on acoustic. Seeing as the MXR is hailed as one of the best around, it was my first choice.
                        In that case - go for it.

Been there, used that extensively in the 80's, you'll like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                          In that case - go for it.

Been there, used that extensively in the 80's, you'll like it.
                          Sweet, thanks!

Comment

If you want a very obvious, in-your-face compressor, the Dyna Comp is perfect. It's the preferred choice for country chicken pickin' for that reason. The script logo version is very slightly "softer", and for that reason I prefer it.

Custom Comp is very nice too, basically a high-spec version of the Dyna.

I don't know anything about the Super Comp.
                            Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                            Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                            Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Well, I do love the classic and the old school. The script logo version is almost three times as expensive as the regular one. As far as I can tell, the Supercomp is a Dyna with an additional knob. It's not too obvious what it does tho, so the Dyna should be enough for what I'm after.

Comment

Working...
                              X