Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dynacomp vs Supercomp?

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
    If you want a very obvious, in-your-face compressor, the Dyna Comp is perfect. It's the preferred choice for country chicken pickin' for that reason. The script logo version is very slightly "softer", and for that reason I prefer it.

Custom Comp is very nice too, basically a high-spec version of the Dyna.

I don't know anything about the Super Comp.
    The Super Comp is just a Dyna Comp with an external attack control added. If the OP wants to go with inexpensive, I'd take the Super Comp over the regular production DC because of that added attack pot. Makes the DC a lot more versatile IMO.

Al

Comment

Originally posted by Zombiwoof View Post
      The Super Comp is just a Dyna Comp with an external attack control added. If the OP wants to go with inexpensive, I'd take the Super Comp over the regular production DC because of that added attack pot. Makes the DC a lot more versatile IMO.

Al
      Coolio. As stated, at thomann.de, they both cost exactly the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Psykel View Post
        It's the effect part you mentioned, especially for electric 12.Think The Byrds, Tom Petty, R.E.M. kind of stuff. Arpeggio rhythm playing and riffs/solos. Also for spanky funk rhythms and plucky picking on a 6 string. I'm not interested in using it on acoustic. Seeing as the MXR is hailed as one of the best around, it was my first choice.
        For my Ric 12 string, I use a Janglebox, a little digital reverb, and go right onto the mixing console. Janglebox will give you that Roger McGuinn "jangle" like no other compressor I've tried. For regular 6-string "power twang", I use a Wampler EGO compressor, super quiet, and features a blend knob so you can mix the compressed / uncompressed signal. The Wampler is always on, in my pedalboard.

Comment

I've got an offshore Dynacomp that cost me $25 or $30, and it sounds better than an old one I had. Ric 12-string comes to life with the 'squash'!

Comment

If you are considering the Dyna or Super Comp then consider the Custom Comp by MXR instead. It's quieter(less hiss), can be set to be transparent & has a better bypass than the other too. The Attack trimpot is placed inside the pedal, that can be set to where you like as well. They added a power supply jack for it too which the original lacked or something. Overall it's an improvement over the regular dynacomp.

Comment

If you like the old Script Dyna Comp sound, the Whirlwind Rochester series Red Box is a handwired clone of the original script DC, with an added LED and True Bypass. It doesn't have the attack trimmer that the Custom Comp has, though. It was designed by a guy from the original MXR company, the whole Rochester line is exactly like the old script MXR pedals, only with the added modern features of LED and TB. I also have the Gold Box (script MXR Distortion+) and the Orange Box (script MXR Phase 90), which are equally great.

Al

Comment

I have had and used both the Dynacomp and the Custom Comp (never used the Super Comp). My favorite compressor for guitar is the Cmatmods Deluxe Signa Comp but I doubt that they are readily available in your neck of the woods. If you can spare the extra coin, I would highly recommend the Custom Comp over the Block Logo (red) Dynacomp or the Supercomp (black). If I remember correctly, the Custom Comp is essentially a script logo Dynacomp with an internal attack trimmer. To my ears, it does all the stuff a Dynacomp does but can be more transparent (if you want it to be) and has less noise.

Here is a link if you are interested:http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/csp202-custom-comp

Comment

There is also the Malekko "Comp" which is about half the size of an MXR pedal. I'm pretty sure it's a Ross clone. It is subtler than the dynacomp and it's not as noisey. It's also only $100. I use that as a "leave on all the time" compressor. Trey Anastasio uses a Ross on all the time with a clean amp and a few ODs and it sounds great, so that's sorta what I'm going for. It's a subtle use but when it's not there you know something doesn't sound right.

Guitar->pedals->amp
                  Gear:
                  Fender '03 CIJ Antigua Strat
                  Epi Dot Natural
                  Partscaster blackie
                  Breedlove Passport Mahogany
                  VOX V845 -> MXR Blue Box -> Boss CS-3 -> MXR Phase 90 -> Paul C. Tim OD -> Fulltone Plimsoul -> Boss CE-3 -> EHX Memory Toy -> SD Deja Vu Delay >
                  Marshall Artist 30 4202 or Bugera V5

I WORK FOR GC, IF YOU NEED A DEAL PM ME!!!

Comment

ANyone try the Modtone Lemon Squeeze?
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                      I use a Monte Allums modded Boss CS-3
                      Hmm, I've just dumped one in the bin out of frustration. The CS-3 is a good compressor but my god, even with the mod, it's über noisy and not worth the bother, I'm a Boss fan BTW. I reckon pound for pound the MXR is a good deal and I love mine.

Comment

I have a Monte Alums CS-3 as well, but don't find it noisy. It has been replaced with a Vice Grip, as the blend knob makes it better for acoustic and electric.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Is anyone paying attention to the op?
                          Yes, the MXR Super Comp is exactly the same circuit as the Dyna Comp except for the added Attack knob, which makes it MUCH more flexible. I bought one a few weeks ago and it does exactly the sounds you want.
                          I have mine listed on eBay right now because it was too bright and jangly for the style of music I play.

Comment

I'm not a huge fan of the current dynacomp.
                            If you are looking for bang for buck, get a boss.
                            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Dawn of the dead....
                              Shaun of the dead...
                              Walkers are coming....
                              Undead walking...

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
                                Dawn of the dead....
                                Shaun of the dead...
                                Walkers are coming....
                                Undead walking...
                                Ha! I didn't even notice the dates on all but the last couple posts. It is alive!!

Comment

Working...
                                X