banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of forum special pickup could and would you take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What kind of forum special pickup could and would you take?

humbucker is the preference but a humbucker size hum free hot p90 with rail construction would all the way cool

Comment

I would prefer a tele.. but would be game for a strat or humbucker too.
      sigpic
      Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
      JFG Flying V,
      "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
      John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
        What about another humbucker sized P90? One that is an entirely different beast, with a certain goal in mind. I'd actually have a lot of interest in that.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
        I would be on board for that. Like a modified phat cat type deal....that would be cool. I used to own a Hamer Talladega for a brief period of time (awesome guitar....shouldn't have sold it!) and it had two P90 type pickups called Double D's with big steel slugs. Awesome pickups! Also, this is an area that hasn't really been explored to a great extent, so there is a lot of potential. I tell you what: a lot of guys here are looking for more clarity and punch in the neck spot and I bet a single coil iteration is the one that would do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
          What about another humbucker sized P90? One that is an entirely different beast, with a certain goal in mind. I'd actually have a lot of interest in that.
          Well, if the Strat thing I have suggested can't get traction we would have to come up with something in hum format.

I suggested a split style pickup (like a P bass) in a humbucker setting, the problem being that people don't know what they are getting sound-wise since very few have played such a thing on guitar (G&L Comanche).

Hum format P90, I think this is mostly driven by the fact that the Phat cat is ugly and doesn't sound the way people want. We could dual-purpose the forum pickup run to also try to come up with an improved phat cat.

But there are options such as the P-rails, and then the opinions start right up how traditional you want it. IMHO no rails, the P-rails does that, although it doesn't buck hum in P90 mode.

Overall I still like the heavy Strat pickup halfway to a QP better

Comment

Bach2Rock's Custom/59 hybrid needs it's obvious neck counterpart, the 59/Jazz made available in some way. It is the perfect match to the C/59 or the JB/C and is a thing of beauty. A LOT of people would get onboard with that pickup once they were more widely available (you have to make your own at the moment) and began to establish a reputation.

I thought the original plans for what ended up being the dog's breakfast Fuglybucker was to be a neck pickup, but it appeared to get railroaded into lawd-knows-what by too many mad scientists who appeared to have no shared vision but just wanted to have input. Ended up like the car Homer Simpson designed.

Yup, the 59/Jazz neck hybrid humbucker. Make it so.
            Last edited by crusty philtrum; 03-09-2014, 10:02 AM.
            Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

How about we do this the old fashioned way?
              Get a small group of people together like 2-4 max or even just ONE person and have them brainstorm ideas and draft a pickup. Then after a pickup is drafted the idea could be posted to the forum for review from the peers who could give it the go ahead, bring up concerns or questions or even suggestions on what could make it better.
              This allows for concise idea making and vision without the clutter so people can still be shown what they want but everyone still participates.

Comment

Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post

I thought the original plans for what ended up being the dog's breakfast Fuglybucker was to be a neck pickup, but it appeared to get railroaded into lawd-knows-what by too many mad scientists who appeared to have no shared vision but just wanted to have input. Ended up like the car Homer Simpson designed.
                Let's not forget that we didn't fail on the sound objective for the fugly. Those few of us who mounted it at least for a test asserted that it does the non-boom thing well.

The problem only came in with the non-special mount and as a result very few have actually heard this thing.

So we did not screw it up when we tinkered with how it should sound.

Comment

Strat, Strat, Strat!!!

Originally posted by CTN View Post
                  Would prefer a humbucker, but would also take a nice strat bridge pickup.
                  I'd love I see:

-a set based on late 60's style with optimized outputs
                  -a set based on Antiquities but underwound a touch and with a tapped bridge to give both a strong bridge only and a quacky bridge + middle.
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

TB Spaced Distortion Neck.

Done.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                    @ArizonaVoters

Comment

I have no guitars that can take a p-90, I'll consider anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                        Well, if the Strat thing I have suggested can't get traction we would have to come up with something in hum format.

I suggested a split style pickup (like a P bass) in a humbucker setting, the problem being that people don't know what they are getting sound-wise since very few have played such a thing on guitar (G&L Comanche).

Hum format P90, I think this is mostly driven by the fact that the Phat cat is ugly and doesn't sound the way people want. We could dual-purpose the forum pickup run to also try to come up with an improved phat cat.

But there are options such as the P-rails, and then the opinions start right up how traditional you want it. IMHO no rails, the P-rails does that, although it doesn't buck hum in P90 mode.

Overall I still like the heavy Strat pickup halfway to a QP better
                        My personal problem is that I don't have a strat I'd be able to put a CS strat pickup into. But if enough people speak in favor of a strat pickup, I'd support the forum project 100%.

I think mostly everyone has a standard humbucker equipped guitar, so keeping to that format may work best. Unless, we could make any type of pickup, and make the regular model along with the exact same pickup thrown into a humbucker housing. Like a strat pickup designed for a normal strat, and then the same pickup thrown under a humbucker cover: so it would be the same exact pickup but look like a normal covered humbucker. That way more people who are interested would be able to try it.

Comment

Good lord humbucker is winning out in a big way.

Personally I feel Duncan has PLENTY of full size buckers nowadays. I mean good grief look at the regular and custom shop list together.

To build on the big pole strat idea....what if we did a set like a big pole n/m/and maybe a double big pole bridge so everyone would kind of get what they want?
                          “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Well the people have spoken.

I was hoping to give my pet project a bit more push from HSS users, but I think HH is probably dominant and/or HSS users don't need custom shop in the neck.

What happened to the Stratocaster being the most sold guitar in the world?

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                              Well the people have spoken.

I was hoping to give my pet project a bit more push from HSS users, but I think HH is probably dominant and/or HSS users don't need custom shop in the neck.

What happened to the Stratocaster being the most sold guitar in the world?
                              Man, your guess is as good as mine on that one. There are so many SD buckers already I feel as if this immediately becomes a Fuglybucker endeavor because to be different it's going to have to get weird in a hurry.

That said, I'm going to make a broad recommendation that whatever bucker gets made that the specs dictate a rough cast magnet like the old PAFs and even SDs used to use for that extra texture.

A more specific recommendation for people to think on is maybe utilizing a Gretsch size magnet in a traditional humbucker because it's alnico but has double the thickness. So for instance you could get a double thick Jazz or 59 wind and get close to a very overwound power level but maintain your vintage honk and clarity.
                              “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

After reading through the forum very carefully, and paying attention to some of the most popular threads, I say we need a octo-rails pickup, no less than 125k, oversized Alnico 8 magnets. We need a pickup that you'll need to pull up on your floyd a few times during the gig to stop the strings from sticking to the pickup. The rails should also all be wound differently, only hybrids sound good now.
                                Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
                                I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
                                Andrew - None

Comment

Working...
                                X