banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of forum special pickup could and would you take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What kind of forum special pickup could and would you take?

This is something I would like. A humbucker voiced exactly like a p90. Maybe a slight bump in output over a 1950s Gibson. Standard humbucker sizing would be awesome, though I am not sure if it would take a phat cat style case.

I have an old Wilde, Bill Lawrence pickup, 1 of them that does this, but it is an old discontinued model. Only pickup I ever saw do this. With the fairly recent rise in popularity of p90s I would think this would be a cool product nobody is offering.

Comment

What about something that uses the DimeBucker bobbins but wound more like a '59. Would probably make a really excellent bright, clear, articulate neck pickup.
      Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyPage View Post
        After reading through the forum very carefully, and paying attention to some of the most popular threads, I say we need a octo-rails pickup, no less than 125k, oversized Alnico 8 magnets. We need a pickup that you'll need to pull up on your floyd a few times during the gig to stop the strings from sticking to the pickup. The rails should also all be wound differently, only hybrids sound good now.
        I'm still holding out for a quantum-foam wound flux capacitor made from virgin Unobtanium mined by gnomes. Blue ones.
        MM

2000 ES335LE Teal Blue, 2009 Gibson LP Trad Pro HCS, 2007 Edwards LP-130LTS/RE Lemon Drop, 2010 Gibson '50's Tribute Studio Goldtop.
        Carvin V3, Bogner Alchemist, Egnater Rebel 30, Peavey Classic 30, Dave Hunter Two-Stroke, Digitech GNX3, Carvin T100

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Duke View Post
          Man, your guess is as good as mine on that one. There are so many SD buckers already I feel as if this immediately becomes a Fuglybucker endeavor because to be different it's going to have to get weird in a hurry.

That said, I'm going to make a broad recommendation that whatever bucker gets made that the specs dictate a rough cast magnet like the old PAFs and even SDs used to use for that extra texture.

A more specific recommendation for people to think on is maybe utilizing a Gretsch size magnet in a traditional humbucker because it's alnico but has double the thickness. So for instance you could get a double thick Jazz or 59 wind and get close to a very overwound power level but maintain your vintage honk and clarity.
          I do think that if the forum does go for a CS pickup, no user should be able to decide on the parts used. The sound characteristics and general appearance could be voted on, but why limit the designers at the Custom Shop with specs we think are good, but we really haven't got as much of a clue about? It is like choosing a magnet type and then a specific sound we want; let the Custom Shop guys/gals decide on the best magnet type to get the best result of what we're going for. Otherwise I see the whole thing becoming a mess of specs that only look good on paper, but become a disappointment when the final product arrives.

Comment

I say whatever bucker we make, we sequentially design or ask for a single coil sized variant of it if possible for all the stratcats, myself included.

Comment

Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
              I do think that if the forum does go for a CS pickup, no user should be able to decide on the parts used. The sound characteristics and general appearance could be voted on, but why limit the designers at the Custom Shop with specs we think are good, but we really haven't got as much of a clue about? It is like choosing a magnet type and then a specific sound we want; let the Custom Shop guys/gals decide on the best magnet type to get the best result of what we're going for. Otherwise I see the whole thing becoming a mess of specs that only look good on paper, but become a disappointment when the final product arrives.
              Because even when we did the Brobucker we had certain specs we wanted to cover. There was an A2 camp and an A5 camp MJ got on the forum and told us we could meet in the middle with a degaussed A5. Additionally people said they wanted a PG mismatch but the PG is NOT mismatched, the sizzle is just part of the wind. That's another thing we were told about that during the Brobucker process. Finally it was etched in stone that the pup HAD to use 42awg plain enamel wire and be as close to 10k as humanly possible. We were told 10k would be tough with that big of a wire but MJ would do her best. DCR is relative, but they were able to convert that to an approximate number of turns.

After all that MJ was given complete creative license to make it sound good.

I say all that to say you can give the CS some hard specs and still get a good product out of it. I know I was there.
              “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

i personally would prefer a humbucker, but as been pointed out on this thread, sd makes a lot of humbuckers. what void in their models are we trying to fill? if none, i am kinda into the idea thats been floated about a humbucker sized P90, since duncan has the phat cats and not much else, and the phat cats aren't everyone's favorite. a beefy crunchy quiet hb sized p90 would definitely get my $$$.

also, no disrespect but who names the forum pickups? the names brobucker and fuglybucker make me cringe.
                Quality riffs in about a minute...
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Originally posted by superpete View Post
                  i personally would prefer a humbucker, but as been pointed out on this thread, sd makes a lot of humbuckers. what void in their models are we trying to fill? if none, i am kinda into the idea thats been floated about a humbucker sized P90, since duncan has the phat cats and not much else, and the phat cats aren't everyone's favorite. a beefy crunchy quiet hb sized p90 would definitely get my $$$.

also, no disrespect but who names the forum pickups? the names brobucker and fuglybucker make me cringe.
                  If my memory serves me correctly, it has been 8 years after all, MJ came up with Brobucker. Fuglybucker was a self evident truth. I remember seeing it and cringing myself!

The thing that sucks is that the forum designed the pup with the thought in mind that if it was successful after the initial run it would eventually become a regular production pup... Obviously that never happened.
                  “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Duke View Post
                    If my memory serves me correctly, it has been 8 years after all, MJ came up with Brobucker. Fuglybucker was a self evident truth. I remember seeing it and cringing myself!

The thing that sucks is that the forum designed the pup with the thought in mind that if it was successful after the initial run it would eventually become a regular production pup... Obviously that never happened.
                    Names are important.

Regular customers will not buy a "BroBucker".

For the new pickup I suggest it gets numeric designation like FOB-5 or something.

Comment

I'd like to see something like an A2 screamin demon with more output, maybe 20-25% hotter. I could live with it even a little hotter than that. Visually, I think one hex coil and one PATB would be cool, but that is far less important to me.

Comment

Can we call it the Bastardbucker or the BB for short?
                        Last edited by Falloffthebonetone; 03-10-2014, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                          I'd like to see something like an A2 screamin demon with more output, maybe 20-25% hotter. I could live with it even a little hotter than that. Visually, I think one hex coil and one PATB would be cool,
                          Another example of everything that's wrong with the "bro-p'up" process.

Your Honor, I rest my case!

Comment

I wasn't around for the Bro, just throwing my two cents in like everyone else. There isn't a pickup in the lineup with that sonic footprint to the best of my knowledge and that visual combination isn't over the top like some combinations. Your constant condescension is grating and borders on being obnoxious.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                              I wasn't around for the Bro, just throwing my two cents in like everyone else. There isn't a pickup in the lineup with that sonic footprint to the best of my knowledge and that visual combination isn't over the top like some combinations. Your constant condescension is grating and borders on being obnoxious.
                              It's already been established that the process that resulted in the Fuglybucker was NOT the way to go.

Your "two cents" are (25% hotter, bobbin types, screw types) the building blocks of another Fugly debacle.

Since when stating the facts is condescension?

FYI, *I*, that possess the technical knowledge to design a p'up from the ground up, from the baseplate alloy to the "distributed capacitance" factor in the wind, won't hear me peep 'bout forcing specs, formats etc, even if I could. Not now, not in the past, not EVER. I have too much respect for the professionals that have spoiled us with good tone at a price-point that everybody can afford.

Get it now, chadd? Not need to call me names.

HTH,

Comment

I like the not quite full blast QP strat pickup, I could go for that.

I like the revamped Phat Cat idea.

I like the SSL-6 Tele bridge with the option for a baseplate idea.

I like the TB spaced Seymourizer/DDn idea, making it double screw might be a benefit for bridge use.

I'd like to see a Blackout Tele bridge pickup that still sounds like a tele but with a bit of a boost in the mids and some more power.

Comment

Working...
                                X