banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of forum special pickup could and would you take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What kind of forum special pickup could and would you take?

I shall restate my enthusiasm for a more Vintage Voiced Quarter Pound Strat Set.
    A set with a tapped bridge and capturing the spirit of those Blackmore, Knofler 1980s custom strats would be awesome.

If that concept is not popular enough my 2nd choice would be; HB sized P90 with more traditional specs than the PhatCat.

3rd a Neck HB; something with the big hollow lead sound of the 59 & jazz, woody and brash like the 59 but without the mud, maybe something with A4.

Comment

Originally posted by CountFeedback View Post
      I shall restate my enthusiasm for a more Vintage Voiced Quarter Pound Strat Set.
      A set with a tapped bridge and capturing the spirit of those Blackmore, Knofler 1980s custom strats would be awesome.

If that concept is not popular enough my 2nd choice would be; HB sized P90 with more traditional specs than the PhatCat.

3rd a Neck HB; something with the big hollow lead sound of the 59 & jazz, woody and brash like the 59 but without the mud, maybe something with A4.
      I think there is a bit of a rift between demand, which obviously is for a humbucker (format pickup), and supply of ideas that are innovative and focused enough to actually work, where humbucker has been noodled out a bit.

I see the theme of P90 in a humbucker casing pop up a number of times, though. Maybe we can use this as a test run for Seymour Duncan to make a better Phat Cat, while getting payed for it?

Comment

What if we did like a z styled pickup (precision pickup like) that fits a humbucker rout (like the offset polepiece buckers in the custom shop or the fender wide range) with a more vintage wind and quarter pound polepieces? Shoot for p90 output levels, z coil gives it more single coil response and makes it noiseless. Then we describe the tone we want to MJ and let her work her magic and give her liberty to change the design any way she sees fit. I can see something like this making a killer fat and clear neck pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
          P90 in a humbucker casing pop up a number of times, though. Maybe we can use this as a test run for Seymour Duncan to make a better Phat Cat, while getting payed for it?
          Well... the idea of a noiseless, differently-voiced Phat Cat is very appealing to me.

Technically speaking, it might be a really tall order to develop in a short period of time... unless they're already halfway there and is in the "TO DO" list of new products to present in 2014/2015, nobody knows... or, the people that might know something can't talk, because of the NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) that comes with the job in any firm that deals with Intellectual-Property-covered items and products, as p'ups are.

HTH,
          Last edited by LtKojak; 03-10-2014, 11:19 AM.

Comment

For me, multiple manufacturers make HB sized 90s. But nobody is making a noiseless one that I am aware of. Heck, I would buy a few when they came. My LPC would love a pair. But it probably is a lot more work than remaking a HB by hybridizing 2 existing products.

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
              It's already been established that the process that resulted in the Fuglybucker was NOT the way to go.

Your "two cents" are (25% hotter, bobbin types, screw types) the building blocks of another Fugly debacle.

Since when stating the facts is condescension?

FYI, *I*, that possess the technical knowledge to design a p'up from the ground up, from the baseplate alloy to the "distributed capacitance" factor in the wind, won't hear me peep 'bout forcing specs, formats etc, even if I could. Not now, not in the past, not EVER. I have too much respect for the professionals that have spoiled us with good tone at a price-point that everybody can afford.

Get it now, chadd? Not need to call me names.

HTH,
              I did not call you a name, merely described your behavior. Thank you for demonstrating it again and proving my point.

As for the rest, I am in no way forcing specs, simply stating that I would like something that sounds similar to an A2 Demon with more output. I fail to see how that is any different or more problematic than what anyone else is suggesting. If you don't give the folks actually building the pickup some direction as to what you want, there is no way for them to meet your expectations. Like any project, you have to determine what you want before someone can deliver it. I think that the Fugly was a disaster aesthetically and regardless of what it sounds like, it has to look fairly "normal" if there is any hope for additional sales. I'm sure you will find something in this post to demean as well, it seems to be what you do any time someone disagrees with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
                What if we did like a z styled pickup (precision pickup like) that fits a humbucker rout (like the offset polepiece buckers in the custom shop or the fender wide range) with a more vintage wind and quarter pound polepieces? Shoot for p90 output levels, z coil gives it more single coil response and makes it noiseless. Then we describe the tone we want to MJ and let her work her magic and give her liberty to change the design any way she sees fit. I can see something like this making a killer fat and clear neck pickup.
                Yes, this is the second idea I originally proposed. It is a moderately tested design because G&L makes them and in any case Precision basses don't suck.

Comment

Noiseless is a tough one.

Maybe we can satisfy a part of those who want a P90 sound in a humbucker format with hum-canceling with the other idea, the P-bass style split pickup in a humbucker casing.

It would be noiseless and it has a single pickup point per string. It would have passive polepieces and presumably multiple magnets.
                  Last edited by uOpt; 03-10-2014, 12:33 PM.

Comment

As an outsider Chadd, it looked to me like you put out a LOT of very specific specs. Some of them aesthetically similar to the fuglybucker.
                    You described
                    Magnet: A2
                    Wind: 20-25% hotter than demon
                    Aesthetics: One PA One hex.

That is not just an A2 Demon with more output. That is defined pretty thouroughly and pretty much aesthetically, I think a repeat of the fugly.

I honestly think you can really deviate one notch off of the norm of slugs and screws and be okay, or match two identical alternate designs. (IE: Slug + hex, Screw + screw, Slug + slug.)

Comment

I'd be fine with that, if it sounded like a p90. I'd be happy if it looked like a 3+3, a standard humbucker, or a fatcat.

Comment

^^^^^ yeah, that. I've never even played one of those G&L's with those pickups, so I have no idea what they sound like.

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
                          ^^^^^ yeah, that. I've never even played one of those G&L's with those pickups, so I have no idea what they sound like.
                          I think the G&L pickups are a rod magnet design, whereas we would clearly have to aim for bar magnet and passive polepieces (to make the p90 wanters happy). So the comparability is questionable at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibson 1964 View Post
                            As an outsider Chadd, it looked to me like you put out a LOT of very specific specs. Some of them aesthetically similar to the fuglybucker.
                            You described

That is not just an A2 Demon with more output. That is defined pretty thouroughly and pretty much aesthetically, I think a repeat of the fugly.
                            Thank you, Gibson 1964.

You Honor, I rest my case... again!

Comment

Originally posted by Gibson 1964 View Post
                              You described

I honestly think you can really deviate one notch off of the norm of slugs and screws and be okay, or match two identical alternate designs. (IE: Slug + hex, Screw + screw, Slug + slug.)
                              I can see where it could read that way, that's the tough part about spitballing ideas. When one person types those specs meaning "something like X, Y, Z as a rough idea", it's very easy for another person to read it as "It must be exactly X, Y, Z". It sounds like the Perpetual Burn may be in the rough neighborhood of what I was suggesting with a magnet swap and I will probably be picking up one of them. I'm good with anything that isn't really high output or yet another PAF style pickup that seems to have flooded the market these days.

I agree with you on the one degree of separation on the aesthetics, too. It seems like a good baseline.

Comment

Pepe, STFU.

uOpt, I'm not scared of rod magnets. Maybe it could something new and unique. My only request would be that it would have to work well as a neck pickup.

Comment

Working...
                                X