70's Fender Strat Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70's Fender Strat Project

We all have our personal guitar hero's, and of course our certain styles/preferences of guitars. One of my hero's (if you look at my sig) is Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins. I've always loved his music, and more importantly, his collection of strats. Specifically, his 70's yellow strat that he recently painted a very nice blue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	index.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	5832489

When I saw a picture of that guitar, I wanted it. Later on I was disappointed that his signature strats only came in black and white. So now I figure its time to build the best looking strat I've ever seen. Now a real 70's strat would cost me a lot of $$$. And to buy an unfinished body from musikcraft or allparts would result in a lot of work to paint properly, and other tasks I have no experience in. And for whatever reason Fender has not produced that shade of blue (to my knowledge and research) to date. Until I saw this mim highway one body.

It's not the exact same shade of blue, but pretty close, don't you think? The next task was to buy a neck. I love the 70's strat headstocks. I took a look on fender.com and I noticed they were selling the 70's necks. Long story short, I ended up purchasing this neck

Name:	$_2.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	5832494

Name:	$_3.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	5832495

Thankfully, this neck comes with tuners and a pretty good nut. And it came off an American special. As far as pickups go, my favorite Pumpkin tones are off the album Siamese Dream. And Billy is somewhat famous for using the BSR Lace Sensors. Luckily enough, a member on this forum was selling the same set of lace sensor pickups. So now all that's left to acquire is the pickguard, other electronics, bridge, and tremelo system pieces. I'm very excited to finish my first strat project!

Re: 70's Fender Strat Project

That looks awesome! It's almost the exact idea I'm working with. May I ask how much you paid for the body? I dont know what a good reasonable offer is on an unfinished MIM :/.

I do love how these forums are so awesome for getting advice and even trading or selling parts. I absolutely love it all! Goodluck on your project

Comment

Originally posted by PushedCrayon View Post
      That looks awesome! It's almost the exact idea I'm working with. May I ask how much you paid for the body? I dont know what a good reasonable offer is on an unfinished MIM :/.

I do love how these forums are so awesome for getting advice and even trading or selling parts. I absolutely love it all! Goodluck on your project
      It was around $140 I believe. It has a couple scratches, otherwise a mint condition one would be around $190 I think. I was debating on the MIA vs MIM vs MIJ bodies, but this was the only body I could find in this color.

Allparts.com has a good selection of unfinished bodies, you could take a look there

Comment

Nice. Siamese Dream is one of my favoritest things ever. As are 70s Fender headstocks.

I might buy one of those Corgan sig strats one of these days. Its pretty much all my favorite features already there (hardtail, matte finish, maple board, 70s headstock), only I'd prefer SSL-1s.
        Last edited by ex-250; 03-10-2014, 05:20 PM.
        Originally posted by Aceman
        It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by ex-250 View Post
          Nice. Siamese Dream is one of my favoritest things ever. As are 70s Fender headstocks.

I might buy one of those Corgan sig strats one of these days. Its pretty much all my favorite features already there (hardtail, matte finish, maple board, 70s headstock), only I'd prefer SSL-1s.
          Never played SSL-1s, but would like to. I upgraded another strat I have to the corgan strat signature with the dimarzios. Only main difference is the neck on that one. Hard to come by an official corgan strat, but they do show up on ebay from time to time. Of course the price is probably no where near where it should be. Not sure why fender discontinued it.

Comment

Originally posted by qaiso View Post
            We all have our personal guitar hero's, and of course our certain styles/preferences of guitars. One of my hero's (if you look at my sig) is Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins. I've always loved his music, and more importantly, his collection of strats. Specifically, his 70's yellow strat that he recently painted a very nice blue.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51820[/ATTACH]

When I saw a picture of that guitar, I wanted it. Later on I was disappointed that his signature strats only came in black and white. So now I figure its time to build the best looking strat I've ever seen. Now a real 70's strat would cost me a lot of $$$. And to buy an unfinished body from musikcraft or allparts would result in a lot of work to paint properly, and other tasks I have no experience in. And for whatever reason Fender has not produced that shade of blue (to my knowledge and research) to date. Until I saw this mim highway one body.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51825[/ATTACH]

It's not the exact same shade of blue, but pretty close, don't you think? The next task was to buy a neck. I love the 70's strat headstocks. I took a look on fender.com and I noticed they were selling the 70's necks. Long story short, I ended up purchasing this neck

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51826[/ATTACH]
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]51827[/ATTACH]

Thankfully, this neck comes with tuners and a pretty good nut. And it came off an American special. As far as pickups go, my favorite Pumpkin tones are off the album Siamese Dream. And Billy is somewhat famous for using the BSR Lace Sensors. Luckily enough, a member on this forum was selling the same set of lace sensor pickups. So now all that's left to acquire is the pickguard, other electronics, bridge, and tremelo system pieces. I'm very excited to finish my first strat project!
            MEXICAN highway1.....wtf??!!!

That aint right is it?
            "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
              MEXICAN highway1.....wtf??!!!

That aint right is it?
              It's more of a guess than anything. You have any idea what it might be? I'm not even 100% sure the name of the color is cobalt blue, I'm just going by the ebay name.

Comment

Anything fancy I could do with this?

Was thinking about adding a killswitch, but what else could I do?

Comment

I have my strat wired Master Vol - Master Tone (50s style) - Fralin blender. I've always found the typical 2 tone Strat setup just about useless and wanted to try something different. I really liked 50s wiring on my SG, so I decided to give it a go on the Strat and like it there too. If you're not familiar with the blender, it's disconnected when full up, but gradually fades in the neck pickup (pos 1/2) or the bridge pickup (pos 4/5) as you roll the knob down.

It's cool that you're building a Corgan Strat; about two years ago I helped longcat build a similar one based on Billy's 'Bat' Strat: alder body, 50s RI neck, and R/S/B Laces and it sounds great. Your Hwy 1 body should also be alder, so you should be in a similar ballpark. I hate to break it to you regarding Billy's blue / yellow Strat, but that guitar was a '74 hardtail with an Ash body.he didn't get that guitar until the SD tour; he actually recorded SD with two other Strats. The first (and primary) of these was a 57 RI that later became the famous 'bat' Strat. The other is the red psychedelic painted 70s Strat with trem.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                    It's cool that you're building a Corgan Strat; about two years ago I helped longcat build a similar one based on Billy's 'Bat' Strat: alder body, 50s RI neck, and R/S/B Laces and it sounds great.
                    the bat strat-inspired partscaster ^^that guy^^ is talking about....

Last edited by longcat; 03-13-2014, 09:19 PM.
                    SOON, WE WILL ALL HAS A FLAVR!!1!

the definition of insanity

Comment

I have my strat wired Master Vol - Master Tone (50s style) - Fralin blender. I've always found the typical 2 tone Strat setup just about useless and wanted to try something different. I really liked 50s wiring on my SG, so I decided to give it a go on the Strat and like it there too. If you're not familiar with the blender, it's disconnected when full up, but gradually fades in the neck pickup (pos 1/2) or the bridge pickup (pos 4/5) as you roll the knob down.

It's cool that you're building a Corgan Strat; about two years ago I helped longcat build a similar one based on Billy's 'Bat' Strat: alder body, 50s RI neck, and R/S/B Laces and it sounds great. Your Hwy 1 body should also be alder, so you should be in a similar ballpark. I hate to break it to you regarding Billy's blue / yellow Strat, but that guitar was a '74 hardtail with an Ash body.he didn't get that guitar until the SD tour; he actually recorded SD with two other Strats. The first (and primary) of these was a 57 RI that later became the famous 'bat' Strat. The other is the red psychedelic painted 70s Strat with trem.
                      That's a great idea! I would much rather have the blend pot than 2 tone pots. Just found the blend pot on ebay for $15, I should get one for my other strat as well.

I was thinking about building the bat strat, but I honestly do not like sunburst too much. And the 70's headstock is so much better than the 50's, in my opinion. Yeah this highway one is alder. Based on my research, alder and ash should sound similar tonally right? At least in the same ballpark? I know Billy has a few hardtail strats, but I prefer a tremolo for added functionality. Thinking about it now, I should've gotten ash since I have an alder already. But I couldn't find that blue anywhere! That was the closest I could find, and it's slightly different. BTW, I thought the yellow strat was used to record Muzzle and Bullet with Butterfly Wings? I read that somewhere, I'll see if I can find the article again...

Originally posted by longcat View Post
                      the bat strat-inspired partscaster ^^that guy^^ is talking about....

That's really nice. Think I've seen it on here before, did you have alumitones on it? Or am I mistaken? Someone had a similar color with alumitones. How do you like the red in the bridge?
                      Last edited by Kais; 03-14-2014, 11:00 AM.

Comment

That's really nice. Think I've seen it on here before, did you have alumitones on it? Or am I mistaken? Someone had a similar color with alumitones. How do you like the red in the bridge?
                        no, no alumitones. i like the red in the bridge. laces have a pretty unique sound...midrangy and kind of stratty but not; much fatter. not like a humbucker though. it's kind of hard to describe. the overdriven tone is phenomenal (to me)...lots of growl and bite, but more like a badger than a wolf, if that makes sense.
                        SOON, WE WILL ALL HAS A FLAVR!!1!

the definition of insanity

Comment

That's a great idea! I would much rather have the blend pot than 2 tone pots. Just found the blend pot on ebay for $15, I should get one for my other strat as well.

I was thinking about building the bat strat, but I honestly do not like sunburst too much. And the 70's headstock is so much better than the 50's, in my opinion. Yeah this highway one is alder. Based on my research, alder and ash should sound similar tonally right? At least in the same ballpark? I know Billy has a few hardtail strats, but I prefer a tremolo for added functionality. Thinking about it now, I should've gotten ash since I have an alder already. But I couldn't find that blue anywhere! That was the closest I could find, and it's slightly different. BTW, I thought the yellow strat was used to record Muzzle and Bullet with Butterfly Wings? I read that somewhere, I'll see if I can find the article again...
                          I don't know for sure with pickups this hot, but I can absolutely hear a difference between alder & ash with vintage output pickups like SSL-1s. With those pickups ash had slightly less midrange and was A LOT brighter than alder. Hardtail vs. trem will also make a difference, but I can't say for sure how much.
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by longcat View Post
                            no, no alumitones. i like the red in the bridge. laces have a pretty unique sound...midrangy and kind of stratty but not; much fatter. not like a humbucker though. it's kind of hard to describe. the overdriven tone is phenomenal (to me)...lots of growl and bite, but more like a badger than a wolf, if that makes sense.
                            I'm honestly sick of humbuckers, its gonna be nice to have single coil option in my arsenal. I know what you mean, I heard the red on youtube. The clean is nothing new, but the distorted tone is unreal. Can't wait to jam out

I don't know for sure with pickups this hot, but I can absolutely hear a difference between alder & ash with vintage output pickups like SSL-1s. With those pickups ash had slightly less midrange and was A LOT brighter than alder. Hardtail vs. trem will also make a difference, but I can't say for sure how much.
                            I see, makes sense to me now. I'd prefer the darker of the 2, that way I can add brightness if need be. I suppose hardtail has a bit more sustain, and maybe a bit more bass? That's my guess

Comment

You need a creamy dreamer fuzz.
                              "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Working...
                              X