Project fullMap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Project fullMap

I think I can see my house in the picture of Oregon... It's the grey spot on the very, very bottom right. Anyway fantastic build Man! Very original!
    Originally posted by dg27
    Salad plates are aerodynamically more effective than dinner plates, which are too heavy.

Comment

Thank you all, I am glad i can show you guys the process and the journey it has been. Its going to be hard to top this one.

Here is some pics. Notice how hard and sealed the fabric has become? With some water wiped over it you can see it reflects my finger.

Also The reason i have done this after the frets were installed because i wanted to be able to do it on a fretted instrument, It can only be done on jumbo frets if not it has to be done before the slots are cut,

Comment

That is really awesome man!
        Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

thanks bro^

I have been working on the back and trying to get the final sanding done. I seem to have a heap of scratches that are hard to get out.

^^ i also have a blot or the start of a knot on the far end.

The front of the body is good and the frets are almost there.

Comment

I was also given a heap of this winwax stuff. 3 bottles of the wipe on and 2 cans of the spray. I dont know if its worth considering or not as a finish? I have read both good and bad things about it, I dont want this finish to be crystal clear and high gloss i was hoping for a more natural finish.

I guess i could try it and see how it goes, I could Sand it off in the future if it turns to ****.
            Last edited by kramersteen; 05-15-2014, 04:44 PM.

Comment

WOW...your making some great progress. Looks awesome!
              Where Words Fail, Music Speaks
              If a positive attitude is a Magnet for positive results, what type positive attitude sounds best, A2, A5, UOA5, A8, C8, or?

Comment

Originally posted by J E C View Post
                WOW...your making some great progress. Looks awesome!
                Thanks mate, I might do a kit next time it would be more of a challenge.

Hows your build going?

Comment

I did a few trial coats of that minwax on the first 3 frets yesterday, It seems okay i just dont know if its durable enough.

Wiping it on was a fail so i just brushed it. I do like how the brush marks disappear its almost like gouache paint

Comment

I used the wipe on stuff (on a table, not a guitar!) and found it was really hard to get it level. Maybe I was doing it wrong, but even after a few coats you could see brush/wipe marks all over it. I haven't used the spray stuff ever though.

edit: I seem to have posted this too late, you already used it! I really like how this is turning out, it looks awesome.

Comment

That is simply awesome! Can't wait to see the finished guitar!

Comment

Originally posted by daan View Post
                        I used the wipe on stuff (on a table, not a guitar!) and found it was really hard to get it level. Maybe I was doing it wrong, but even after a few coats you could see brush/wipe marks all over it. I haven't used the spray stuff ever though.

edit: I seem to have posted this too late, you already used it! I really like how this is turning out, it looks awesome.

I am not totally committed to it yet, I just dont have any spare money to get the acrylic/thinners i usually use. After it dries enough i will see how it responds to cutting compound/polish and waxing.

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
                        That is simply awesome! Can't wait to see the finished guitar!

treyhaislip glad you like it bro

Comment

Its actually not all that bad considereing you can do the entire finish without all the gear.

Comment

• Project fullMap

With that gloss look it is turning out to be one hell of a guitar!

Comment

Really looking nice.
                              sigpic
                              Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
                              JFG Flying V,
                              "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
                              John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

Originally posted by kramersteen View Post
                                treyhaislip glad you like it bro
                                I really like the whole map concept as well as placing the map on the fretboard too--very unique. Would look awesome in one of those show cases in your library or something like that.

Comment

Working...
                                X