Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A DIY split double coil experiment

This is a picture of this experiment:

My attempt would be to obtain a louder neck pickup on my tele to compensate the bridge PAF, but I still wanted a humbucking tone effect if possible and some single coil sparkle. The obvious candidate would be a P90, even if not humbucking, BUT in my drawer I remebered there were 2 unused GFS neck numbuckers (A2 and A5) so I started thinking about using 2 threaded poles coils to create a split single, arranged in a wide range humbucker style (although I know WRHB are 12 poles humbuckers with CuNiFe threaded slug, of course).

So I kept the A5 magnet, unscrewed 6 slug and connected the two coils in series like a normal hb, and that's the result.

I have to say it works. the hum is stil present but definitely low, the bass are a little gummy, like the one of a HB, treble are more similar to single coils, the mid range is even, it pairs very well with the bridge.

Has anybody tried something similar and wanted to share it?
    Last edited by marcello252; 03-16-2014, 03:56 AM.

Re: A DIY split double coil experiment

We were discussing that style of design in the forum pickup thread and hypothesized that there would be flux issues. Have you noticed anything along those lines? Or is it working as planned?
     Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

Could you please link me the thread? I'm not able to find it

thank you

Comment

Ok, I've found it.

I don't know exactly how flux issues could get perceived so I'm not able to answer you correctly.
        What I actually hear is:

- more or less the same hum of its brother Paf in the bridge
        - vintage output level
        - a quite spongy bass with a quite soft attack
        - a full bloomy treble response on the high strings, a little compressed on the attack, musical indeed.

Comment

Working...
        X