banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Xotic EP Booster...MXR Echoplex preamp......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xotic EP Booster...MXR Echoplex preamp......

Thoughts...opinions on which is the better pedal?

Any other echoplex boost types out there I should be aware of?
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Re: Xotic EP Booster...MXR Echoplex preamp......

I've yet to watch an echoplex demo, I'm afraid it will be too gnarly and I'll want to buy one ASAP....

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
      Thoughts...opinions on which is the better pedal?

Any other echoplex boost types out there I should be aware of?
      As a straight preamp? No.

Alternative would be the soon to be released JHS Colour Box.

Echoplex clones that have the preamp saturation include the Catalinbread Belle Epoch and 1776 Multiplex.

Are you just looking for saturation without echo?
      Then I would wait for the Colour Box...
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I like the EP1 Booster a lot! For a clean boost, it's pretty much my favorite. I saw Robben Ford last summer and that's all he used with his Tele and his Super Reverb and seemed to leave the EP1 on all of the time. Sounds so good - he played a lot of rhythm and chords on his lead pickup with the EP1 beefing everything up.

Never tried the MXR Echolex preamp.

It's a very simple circuit though. My brother Bruce has been making a Mission Amps clean boost that's part of the amplifier and not a separate pedal for years that's pretty much the same circuit. Even before Xotic was doing it.

Anyways, the EP1 and the PCE AF1 Klon Klone are my two favorite boost/overdrives. They're all I ever use.
        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

One more thing - the Edge uses the EH Memory Man as both a boost and an echo and it works well.

Pretty much the only effects I ever use are my Klon Klones or EP1 and my Memory Man.

Just turning up the gain a bit on the MM works really well as a clean boost.

Same idea as the preamp on a Echoplex I would guess.
          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

^ lot of great info there. Thx!

Comment

the new mojo hand speakeasy would be on my list, as well.

Comment

Yup..thanks for the info and linkage everyone... for now just looking at the boosts...though eventually want an ep simulator too...the mooer is meh-er.

The orbit one has got my attention for sure...

LFT, my son borrowed my good headphones without mentioning it to me..will hafta check out the clips ina day or two...after I kick his butt into next week!
                I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
                  the mooer is meh-er.
                  Lol ... That made me chuckle.
                  Funny 'cause it's true.

Comment

Yup. Its a usable affordable pedal, but does not sound half as good as pedals twice its price. Actually the Memory Toy,similar priced , sounds significantly better than the mooers analog mode. The Mooer still sounds obviously digital..in all 3 modes.

Comment

I seem to recall having this conversation before

Comment

Heh. Yeah. But I bought my Mooer before I knew you were using one for rehearsals! Otherwise I woule have gone some other way.

Now that I have amp/speaker and my new Les Paul dialed in, I will be revamping my pedals/making substitutions.

Comment

Which mooer are you referring to?
                          Go Packers!

Comment

Emerson EM-Drive works like a pre-amp. It adds just the right amount of presence and enhances the whole sound of your rig!!! It's my favorite pedal of all time!!!
                            Originally posted by jeremy
                            God hates bad guitar tone
                            GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
                            AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
                            EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
                            Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Mooer ReEcho

I am not really sure how the brilliant minds at Mooer thought it sounds even remotely like a real Space Echo (re201l) or even the COSM one(Re20). It sounds more like a DD3/5/7.

Comment

Working...
                              X