banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Xotic EP Booster...MXR Echoplex preamp......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Xotic EP Booster...MXR Echoplex preamp......

I just want to share that I bought the Bagderplex Trilogy.
    IMHO, not a good pedal, in any sense.
    While the Xotic does a clean booster with some i-dunno-what-magic, the Trilogy saturates the first tube and cuts the tails of sound.
    I was highly disappointed with the sound, not to say that it comes WITHOUT any kind of box.
    Stay away this pedal.
    My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
    My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

Originally posted by hermetico View Post
      I just want to share that I bought the Bagderplex Trilogy.
      IMHO, not a good pedal, in any sense.
      While the Xotic does a clean booster with some i-dunno-what-magic, the Trilogy saturates the first tube and cuts the tails of sound.
      I was highly disappointed with the sound, not to say that it comes WITHOUT any kind of box.
      Stay away this pedal.
      Really? I love my Badgerplex AC so much I have two for when I do a stereo rig. It works magic for my rig.

You really couldn't get any useable sound out of it and didn't like any of the three settings?
      Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

I got to fiddle around with it for 1/2 hour this morning before I left for work. Even at 9v I was impressed. It adds that magic mojo to the midrange, along with a bit of low end pop, and secret high end sauce....

rainman/

EP booster...Sparkley.......very very sparkley.......

/rainman

Very cool. Frankly Im kinda miffed, as I just bought a set of a5 mag PAF types to try and add just what the EP booster did this morning to my existing rig....gahhhhh.
        I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by zenmindbeginner View Post
          Really? I love my Badgerplex AC so much I have two for when I do a stereo rig. It works magic for my rig.

You really couldn't get any useable sound out of it and didn't like any of the three settings?
          Absolutely not.
          Even the Mesa Boogie Tone Burster does a better job, hands down.
          My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
          My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

I forgot to update the thread again. 18v adapter on backorder, so been using it at 9v. I put the 61s in the guitar, and then set up EP booster in vintage mode, no db boost,no extra brightness.

It has answered the questions I have re: many of my heros and how they got that extra mojo in their stock marshall rigs way back when.whether the circuit is that authentic or not, it mimics very well that smooth gain and pop/punch that is not quite there in those old amps.

It is on all the time now, set at minimum gain, just to do it's mojo. So I have to still find an actual OD/DIS pedal to replace the BA78 as a goose.

Once I get the new g12mEVH installed and broken in, will post up somethin short.
            I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I know this is a sort of necro-bump, but I've finally gotten 95% of the DIY ep together (madbean fatpants).

Even running at 10v (hence why it's 95%, the charge pump for some mysterious reason has decided to die on me) it's such a good addition to everything I put it in front of.

The madbean variant has external switches (a "soft" switch and a "body" switch) and instead of the "gain" DIP it has a potentiometer labeled "fat". The body switch increases the low mids substantially, and the soft switch is barely detectable unless you're playing a seriously bright pickup/guitar (ex. telecaster).

At 10v there's no volume boost though, actually at full up there's a slight drop in output compared with bypassed (This was after all designed to work on 18-24v), but the sound is very rich and open, lots of clarity. Sounds great after my MBB.

But, if you're looking for an ep-style boost, the madbean fatpants is a great alternative to the Dunlop and the Xotic and if you're handy with a soldering iron less than half the price.
              Originally posted by ImmortalSix
              I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Tagboardeffects has a couple voltage doubler projects on stripboard. Is the madbean one on a daughter board? If so, you could hack something together that way.

off u see did MRSAge, I m on tapa talk and auto correct is hating on me
                Originally posted by Funkfingers
                Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

I finally got my 18v adapter for the EP booster. I liked the pedal a bunch at 9v, but 18v is like I got another brand new improved pedal. Thicker, more complex, punchier, but more clarity (in a warm, good sort of way) than at 9v. Anytime I leave it off, I wonder for a second WTF is wrong with my amp.

Comment

I have a tube tape echo (with the tube preamp and all) if posting something using that would help any.
                    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by jon the art guy View Post
                      Tagboardeffects has a couple voltage doubler projects on stripboard. Is the madbean one on a daughter board? If so, you could hack something together that way.

off u see did MRSAge, I m on tapa talk and auto correct is hating on me
                      Madbean makes a charge pump that I used, after asking at their forum apparently I have a short somewhere.

When everything is mended I'm going to run it on 12v which =24v internal. I didn't use the tis 58 but people say the mpf102 is very nearly as good and costs 20 cents at radioshack so I went with that.

Now I just need to find that pesky short.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
                      Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                      I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Just got a MXR Echoplex this week with some old pedal trade in. I did read on the Gear Page some didnt care for it they said it sucked some treble and dynamics out. Playing low i thought they were right I was running it after the OD pedals,Wednesday I turned up loud on my twin and I had the pedal moved up front at the time and it seemed to take some high end off so I moved it back behind the OD pedals and sounded better. It added more low end and spank to the highs! Yes it does work good! Last night i moved it last so maybe it will buffer the signal too like it says and im using the Soul Food for a buffer up front. I use the pedal for cleans and my Bogner pedals dirt, it has more body then the Soul Food as a clean boost.
                        Last edited by ken361; 07-10-2014, 07:58 AM.
                        tone slut
                        Marshall DSL 40C
                        Fender EVH Striped Series
                        Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
                        Fender Squier Tele Affinity
                        Mogami cables

Comment

Addressing the original post. I've tried both and overall I prefer the Xotic. It sounds a little more lively and the controls seem to yield a wider range of sounds, especially with the internal toggle switches adjusted to your liking (I prefer the bright switch off).

Comment

Working...
                          X