Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• " Hot Rodded Humbuckers"

Hey all,

loving my duncans, considering putting some into my '81 les paul custom. My question is what makes a "Hot Rodded" pup so special?
    Whats the difference between the JB sh-4 and the hot rodded version?

Thanks for any input!

Re: " Hot Rodded Humbuckers"

"Hot rodded" is just what they call the set.
     Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

+1 SH-4 is the model number, "hot-rodded" is the marketing prose.

Comment

i figured as much, good to know!

Thank you guys!

Comment

BTW, there is nothing at all 'hot rodded' about the neck PU in a 'Hot Rodded Set' (JazzN) It's a fairly tame and bright PU. Some guys prefer a different PU in the neck slot, with more horsepower.
          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

If you really want a "hot rodded" version of that same set and don't mind paying extra you could buy the Eclair set from the Custom shop.
            Originally posted by KBliss
            WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
            Originally posted by trevorus
            The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

I think it might have come out of Jeff Beck's fascination with cars but that is just a guess. Theres a parallel between modifying guitars and cars and calling it "hot rodding" them, right down to the automotive paint.

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                BTW, there is nothing at all 'hot rodded' about the neck PU in a 'Hot Rodded Set' (JazzN) It's a fairly tame and bright PU. Some guys prefer a different PU in the neck slot, with more horsepower.
                +1 Agreed.
                sigpic
                Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
                JFG Flying V,
                "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
                John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

Just because the set is labeled "Hot Rodded" doesn't make it any more special than any other Duncan pickup. It's just their most popular pickup set. However, I don't think that the JB/Jazz is ideal for a LP Custom. I would go with something like a Custom 5 or a 59/Custom Hybrid in the bridge and an Alnico 2 Pro or a 59 in the neck.
                  Custom neck-thru strat
                  1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                  1995 PRS CE24
                  D'avanzo #8
                  Breedlove Solo Concert
                  1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                  1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                  1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                  Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
                    It's just their most popular pickup set.
                    Which has a lot to do with it being promoted more than the others.
                    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by upspoon View Post
                      Hey all,

loving my duncans, considering putting some into my '81 les paul custom. My question is what makes a "Hot Rodded" pup so special?
                      Whats the difference between the JB sh-4 and the hot rodded version?

Thanks for any input!
                      What kind of music do you play? What kind of tone are you looking to get?

Comment

I thought the title came from those being relatively the first aftermarket pups Seymour made for people. I know the "Concept set" from the CS is what the JB/Jazz evolved from didn't they?
                        Originally posted by KBliss
                        WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                        Originally posted by trevorus
                        The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Working...
                        X