New D'addario NYXL strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New D'addario NYXL strings

12 bux a set?!? I could get custom gauge Curt Mangum strings for way less than that. I pay less than half that for my customized GHS Burnished Nickel sets and the tension on those is just perfect for me.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
    My Music

Comment

Sorry, but no guitar strings are worth $12 per set, when you can get perfectly good strings for less than 1/3 of that.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Worth is relative to the individual.

If I could get 7 or 8 weeks out of a set, 12 bucks would be worth it to me. Changing strings every week gets old, not to mention just about the time they settle up for good is when they die/corrode out beyond keeping them on. I have found a few sets that last longer for me on average..blue steels and boomers, but I hate the tone of them on my Les Paul...they are way too bright.
        I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

So you think $12 strings are pricey huh? Well don't look at the price of optima gold strings then....

Learn about the beautiful tone and long-lasting appeal of gold guitar strings. We have Optima guitar strings, which are gold plated to resist corrosion.

Yes they are actually 24K gold plated strings. Jeff they might actually work for you and last longer, but that's one heck of a pricey experiment to find out. Plus you end up with some blingin' gold strings, not sure if that's a plus or a minus haha.
          www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

I'm curious Jeff, how often do you play in an average week to kill a set? Now I only have three guitars, but I rotate between them more or less evenly so I can keep a set of XL110's on a guitar for a few months and they still sound and look great.
            Custom neck-thru strat
            1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
            1995 PRS CE24
            D'avanzo #8
            Breedlove Solo Concert
            1996 USA Dean Baby Z
            1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
            1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
            Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Uhm, yeah..uh...no thanks Mike

I remember I bought a set of those back in the 1980s. Wolf Marshall used them. I really do not remember what I thought of them other than, beaucoup bucks!

I couldn't take the NYXLs anymore. My CTS really started acting up due to the extra effort for bending. I noticed a bit of corrosion starting up on the plains already, and I even wiped em down with dunlop string cleaner last night. Musta been a spot I missed. I am PH string death incarnate! Fear me normal strings!

I put a set of Cleartones on. I dig the tone, very good for a coated set. Bright enough and clear- not dull at all like EXPs, Titanium Slinkys, or Elixirs. My les paul came with them, and I thought they felt great but did not sound too good at the time, but I have swapped pups, and done a total rehaul on the setup since then. They still need to settle in ..they are still bouncy/floppy and lots of WOWwwww..when ya hit chords. Time will tell.
              Last edited by JeffB; 03-25-2014, 10:25 AM.
              I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
                I'm curious Jeff, how often do you play in an average week to kill a set? Now I only have three guitars, but I rotate between them more or less evenly so I can keep a set of XL110's on a guitar for a few months and they still sound and look great.
                Since I started working again, not as much as I was before. I would estimate about 12 hours average. Some saturdays when my wife takes the little one out for the day,I often play for 5-7 hours,.so add that on top.

The big thing in recent years is how corrosion has become an issue with me as I have gotten older. If I do not wipe down Slinkys or Dads every time when I am done, the next day there are rust/corrosion spots all over them. Sometimes the cleaner won't take it off. Slinkys will last me about a week to 10 days with careful wipe downs before they are dead.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
                  Worth is relative to the individual.

If I could get 7 or 8 weeks out of a set, 12 bucks would be worth it to me. Changing strings every week gets old, not to mention just about the time they settle up for good is when they die/corrode out beyond keeping them on. I have found a few sets that last longer for me on average..blue steels and boomers, but I hate the tone of them on my Les Paul...they are way too bright.
                  Do you wipe your strings during and after playing,or is it just your chemical makeup? I can get a decent amount of time out of a set of strings..I use one of those string cleaner things that goes around the strings and it cleans pretty well.

Ok read your post above Jeff...LOL
                  Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 03-25-2014, 11:27 AM.
                  Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
                    Since I started working again, not as much as I was before. I would estimate about 12 hours average. Some saturdays when my wife takes the little one out for the day,I often play for 5-7 hours,.so add that on top.

The big thing in recent years is how corrosion has become an issue with me as I have gotten older. If I do not wipe down Slinkys or Dads every time when I am done, the next day there are rust/corrosion spots all over them. Sometimes the cleaner won't take it off. Slinkys will last me about a week to 10 days with careful wipe downs before they are dead.
                    Buddy of mine has the same thing. Coated or the stainless steel variants worked best for him. Other strings barely last him 2 days. The chemicals are weird like that. My father could always tell if I sneakily played his bass as the strings would turn bright red if I did.
                    Usually I can get 3 gigs or 1 month out of set before their dead.

Comment

i'm having the same issue with the ernie ball m-steel. noticably more tension on the wound strings, likely due to the different core.
                      Quality riffs in about a minute...
                      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

And now for another opinion about NYXL, Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. Rob Chappers (skip to 8:51 if you want to avoid the banjo).

Disclaimer: I'm affiliated with D'Addario. And I've personally used NYXL strings and didn't experience any of the criticisms in the OP. Zero.
                        Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                        Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Not that I care what anyone else thinks, but Rob is an endorser, so without even watching this I am pretty sure I know what he is going to say about them.

Comment

Well, just him slapping them on and giving them a first stretch and then them staying relatively in tune is interesting...
                            Originally posted by Funkfingers
                            Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

Haven't tried the NYXL strings but I tried the EB M-Steels. Acoustically they sound great. I didn't notice any tension difference. I haven't played them amped up yet but so far, so good. I dig the cleartones also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
                              1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

I usually play 10-52 or 11s. I tried these today on my Burny LPJr and i honestly cant tell between the g and high e A way too light for me. They do sound lively, but what a battle getting them intonated.

Comment

Working...
                                X