Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New D'addario NYXL strings

Originally posted by Dark Order Lord View Post
    All I am saying is stop being a pansy over $4usd vs $12usd BUY 1 set and test it for yourself.
    The problem isn't buying 1 set, of course $12 is no problem. The problem is that I own 9 guitars and if I love the strings that's $108 to string them all with NYXLs instead of the current $30 for a 10 pack of EXL110s. That's when playing ~3 times as much for strings would suck.
    www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave View Post
      Sounds like your saddles need work. I replaced a lot of my guitars saddles and I haven't broken a string since. I like the string savers or ferraglides. They are both graphite and have cl completely stopped my guitar from breaking strings

HAHAHA!!!!! I'm busting these strings with String Saver saddles. Been using them for years.
      DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by XSSIVE View Post
        The problem isn't buying 1 set, of course $12 is no problem. The problem is that I own 9 guitars and if I love the strings that's $108 to string them all with NYXLs instead of the current $30 for a 10 pack of EXL110s. That's when playing ~3 times as much for strings would suck.
        9 guitars????? Do you play all 9 all the time?????? I own just 3, a Gibson Explorer 1990, and 2 custom made Grubisa Flying V's. 98% of the time I just play the black V.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	271.2 KB
ID:	5777632
        Last edited by Dark Order Lord; 05-25-2014, 08:31 AM.
        DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

Comment

9 guitars????? Do you play all 9 all the time?????? I own just 3, a Gibson Explorer 1990, and 2 custom made Grubisa Flying V's. 98% of the time I just play the black V.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54333[/ATTACH]
          That was the point I was making in my earlier post. I have 30 guitars and even though I don't play every one every day you still have maintenance to do and at 12$ a set that's just too much. I use 11's and 13's. The XL 115's and the J17's for acoustics. They work fine for me and I see no point in changing
          "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
          "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I've playing on the Beta testers they sent me a while ago …. set them up on my Dano pro 'cause they sent me 10-46s….they,re still on and sound great ! But I'll stick with my EXL115….just cheaper !

Comment

Originally posted by MatelotFripon View Post
              But I'll stick with my EXL115….just cheaper !
              be careful. someone will call you a wimp and/or a pansy for being frugal. lol!

but not me. I'd get popped if I did that.

Comment

I finally got a chance to try one of the sets they sent me a while back. I use 9-42's so the 10-46's they sent sat on the shelf until I recently joined a band that tunes down a whole step! So far I like them a lot! In my experience they set in quickly and stay in tune better than most. I plan to keep them on and gig for a while to see how long they last then put on the other set they sent me....after that who knows.
                Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
                "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave View Post
                  That was the point I was making in my earlier post. I have 30 guitars and even though I don't play every one every day you still have maintenance to do and at 12$ a set that's just too much. I use 11's and 13's. The XL 115's and the J17's for acoustics. They work fine for me and I see no point in changing
                  30 guitars?????????? Why????

sigpic

Comment

Why not?

For the record, I have 25 and I know there are others on here who have more than that. Some of us just like a little variety in our lives.
                    Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
                      be careful. someone will call you a wimp and/or a pansy for being frugal. lol!

but not me. I'd get popped if I did that.
                      Hahaha.... i love EXL115's but I bust them so quick that its more expensive to keep buying them than buying NYXL's

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chris of Arabia View Post
                        Why not?

For the record, I have 25 and I know there are others on here who have more than that. Some of us just like a little variety in our lives.
                        I know this will suck what I'm about to say, but free speech is what it is... Well, as someone who formally worked at Guitar Crazy, which had 900 guitars in stock, I had custom guitars made for me because no factory guitar cuts the mustard, and I don't see the need for owning more than 1 great classical, 1 great steel string acoustic, and minimum 2 really great electrics, like my V's.... Or at least 1 strat/tele, 1 Les Paul/gibsonish guitar, 1 floyd/kahler tremolo guitar. But those who keep buying guitars to point of kingdom come, sorry I not having a go at you or others here, but there is just no logical point to me. I know confidently that my Grubisa customs blow away every factory guitar out there that I have tried, including my own Gibson Explorer (Oh oooooo, here comes the flaming!!!!!), the only factory guitar that blew my guitars away was a 1960 Les Paul that I had a privilege of trying from Brad Shepard of the HooDoo Gurus, back in the mid 90's.

One can't possibly upkeep 20-30-40 etc guitars, whats the point of so many guitars when you really need is a few great guitars. Thats what working at Guitar Crazy taught me. If you need a guitar with a sound you don't own then just hire it. i did that on my 2nd Album. To put it another way, 30 guitars = 30 repairs, 30 sets of strings, 30 FRET DRESSES, 30 sets of new bridge saddles every couple of years.....etc... I have enough trouble up keeping 2 custom electrics.

I have had guitarist in my band Dark Order that do this of buying 50,000 guitars, and musos in other bands that I have known, and none of them had a 1 guitar that was killer.... Not one.

On the other hand I have known guitarists in Dark Order and other bands than own just a couple of electrics, and they happen to be killer guitars.

This is why I just don't understand, and sorry to go off the topic of NYXL's

Back on topic, the NYXL's have the best mids I have ever heard, mids are the most important part of the make or break tone to me.

sigpic

Comment

Hmm - I could be classified as one of those "collectors". No, I don't "need" them, but I guess I would waste the money I spent to buy them by allocating on beer or new cars. If things got bad, I could probably sell and at least recoup my money.

As far as maintenance, that varies on the player. A good number of guitars in my rotation have not been touched in terms of fret dresses etc - In other words, just strings (standard ones) once or twice a year - maybe a truss rod tweak.

Comment

New D'addario NYXL strings

Because I can

I play a lot of acoustic guitar as well as electric. The acoustics are more sensitive to tonal changes due to wood types and body sizes. Electrics are more prone to shaping the tone with pickups, pedals and amps. So I definitely have all my bases covers but I've collected these instruments of many years of playing. But IMHO every player has to have a Tele, a Les Paul, a Strat and maybe a semi hollow like a 335. Now I'm not a metal guy so I guess one could add a shred stick to that list but for me those 4 electrics can do a lot. Then of course you have acoustics...... Whole different world
                            Last edited by Bludave; 05-26-2014, 08:08 AM. Reason: auto correct
                            "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                            "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Try 54.

Bill
                              When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

I also had the problem of breaking strings constantly when I was using D'Addario's, that's one of the reasons I gave up on them. I don't have that problem with other brands I use. I also think their electric strings have a sort of "mid-scooped" sound to them, so they sounded thinner than other brands.

Al

Comment

Working...
                                X