New D'addario NYXL strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New D'addario NYXL strings

I am just about to install some NYXL 10-46 on an old floyd-equiped Carvin 24.75" scale. Lets see.

Comment

Not a fan. Because NYXL's are easier to bend than the XL's, my pick (attack) sinks into the string creating a slower response time. Also, I don't like how 'bendy' the strings are overall.

XL's for me all the way.

Comment

I'm gonna have to give NYXLs another go. My opinion seems to be in the minority on these strings. Maybe my Beta-Tester was of a specific test formula that wasn't the one they decided to go with? I don't know how exactly their test campaign went beyond sending out free packs and requesting feedback.

My PRS has been getting a lot of play as it's my new addition to the stable. Maybe I'll pick up a pack of NYXLs of the same gauge that's on the guitar and see how they do and then test regular XL's against it.

Comment

I just tested them (10-46) on my Carvin DC135 24.75" with floyd rose. The sounds are almost identical with the rest of XL series. Nothing spectacular there. But : The tuning stability and the flexibility is just great. With XLs I had to "break in" the strings for at least two days of constant tunings and fine tunings. With these I just tuned, stretched, lock and shreded away! Also the way they bend is so spongy! About tension almost identical like the XL. No change there.
          So, I think they feel robust, the kind of strings you can abuse with no worries about breakage, detonation, etc...
          Last edited by greekdude; 11-05-2014, 01:38 PM.

Comment

A little update. Fantastic for solos, will tend to buzz during riffs due to increased sponginess.

Comment

Originally posted by greekdude View Post
              A little update. Fantastic for solos, will tend to buzz during riffs due to increased sponginess.
              I have no extra buzzing when using NYXL strings
              Gravity...its just a theory

Comment

Originally posted by Archer_of_Fish View Post
                I have no extra buzzing when using NYXL strings
                I dont know, maybe your setup is not extreme like mine? (1.5mm 24th fret Low E, 1.1mm 24th fret High E, under 0.1mm relief).

Comment

I tried the 9s and 10s and found them to be great strings. Here is a review I wrote up on them

Comment

I love my NYXL 9-42 set, I am wanting to try out the 10-52 set though on my PRS to compensate for my short 25" scale so I can play in D standard, Db and Drop C#.
                    Guitars: Ibanez RG420, Ibanez RGA7, Ibanez RGD7421, Ibanez AFS75T 1993 Korean Squier Strat, Jackson MIJ DXMG, Yamaha APX500II
                    Basses: Ibanez SR605
                    Amp(s): Marshall JCM800 clone
                    Seymour Duncan Pickups used: Pegasus, Sentient, Blackouts, JB, Jazz, Invader, Hotrails, Vintage Stack (tele set), Dave Mustaine Livewire,

Comment

Originally posted by greekdude View Post
                      I dont know, maybe your setup is not extreme like mine? (1.5mm 24th fret Low E, 1.1mm 24th fret High E, under 0.1mm relief).
                      Holy moooly dude... That action doesn't allow for maximum string flap for chords. My action at the 12th fret is 2.1mm for the low E and 1.9mm for the high E, my guitars are set neck string thru body...

Oh and BTW, I am back to using GHS BOOMERS as I prefer the feel and tone over NYXL, even though the tuning stabilty is a little worse, not by much through. Still nothing negative to say about NYXL's.
                      Last edited by Dark Order Lord; 01-09-2015, 05:19 PM.
                      DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Comment

Slightly off topic, but I wonder if any SDUGFites have uploaded a video to the Play Fearlessly Project. Anyone?
                        Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                        Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Order Lord View Post
                          Holy moooly dude... That action doesn't allow for maximum string flap for chords. My action at the 12th fret is 2.1mm for the low E and 1.9mm for the high E, my guitars are set neck string thru body...

Oh and BTW, I am back to using GHS BOOMERS as I prefer the feel and tone over NYXL, even though the tuning stabilty is a little worse, not by much through. Still nothing negative to say about NYXL's.
                          ^^^^ that's my "high action". Done much lower than that. I reverted my ibby uv70p to those specs and it finally kicks ass without buzzing. IMHO any guitar not-riffable with 1.5mm @24th better take the road to the tech.

Comment

Wow, you guys are paying $12 a pack?? My local store has them set at $8.50 😀.

I threw the NYXLs on my bc rich and I've actually never been happier with a string, I like a lot of tension though so that probably has something to do with it.

Comment

Also I feel like there's more tone in general, the mids are pushed and highs have a less pintchy annoyingness to them, to me there is less low end, this could just be my set up as I am a progressive metal player who runs a distorted amp with a OD and Compressor in front of it with two noise gates, so there's not much low end to begin with. But I feel that the NYXLs are more clear and have a more balanced output per string. they sound amazing with larger chords, i wouldn't go as far as saying they are clear enough for jazz but then a gain if you want to play jazz get flats.

Comment

I see this thread, and I raise it from the dead. I started working at my local GC in Jackson, Mississippi this past November. Been playing in bands a few years and I've mostly stuck with Ernie Ball Slinkys for the price. They feel great for what you pay for them, and they sound good when they are fresh. They die pretty quickly with me as I've noticed, for as consistently over the years that I've used them. I went with Cobalts for a spell, but I stopped using them regularly because for the same price I could get 2 packs of regular Slinkys; one for the gig and a backup just in case.

My main axe is a way modded Epiphone Les Paul Custom that turns 10 years old this July. I won't go into specs, but let's say after upgrading it from the ground up has paid off, so putting nice strings on it really helps my chops.

I started using NYXL Strings shortly after I started at GC, and I'll admit this string takes the cake. Compared to the standard Slinkys these strings are certainly louder. The guitar plays audibly louder unplugged. The sound was similar to a rumbling heard from the bottom end and a good spectrum of midrange that was both bright and clear... not biting trebly. And louder. It's a difference I immediately noticed. The next thing which became apparent after a couple of more sets was that they broke in with the most minimal of stretching. I have literally set them on my guitar, stretched each one to pitch just once, hopped on stage and lived to tell about it. To date I've only broken two strings, both bottom ones, and I will attest to that possibly having been an error on my part concerning the guitar's setup. They are terribly strong strings and can really take a beating. I do notice that like all strings, my makeup seems to really dull them down quick. Maybe I should probably stop rubbing my guyliner all over them before shows (Maybelline really brings out the boring brown in my onstage stare) lol... but for real, after getting in the habit of using white mineral oil on them before and after play, practice, or the gig, I notice they put up more fight. Clean your strings. Your strings will thank you!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X