"Albert King Stop Sequence" ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Albert King Stop Sequence" ???

I heard this recently and wasn't sure what they meant. Are they referring to those pauses in blues like in SRV's Pride and Joy?

Re: "Albert King Stop Sequence" ???

Maybe it's "double stop" they meant. That's a blues move that King, SRV...everyone uses. Usually it's that roundoff to the standard blues rhythm where ya pick a note and pluck an octave a couple of strings up.

Sea of Sorrow from Alice in Chains starts with some at the very beginning. At least that's the sound.
    Originally posted by Funkfingers
    Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

Originally posted by jon the art guy View Post
      Maybe it's "double stop" they meant. That's a blues move that King, SRV...everyone uses. Usually it's that roundoff to the standard blues rhythm where ya pick a note and pluck an octave a couple of strings up.

Sea of Sorrow from Alice in Chains starts with some at the very beginning. At least that's the sound.
      Double stops, like Chuck Berry? I don't think that's what they meant.

Comment

Then I'm out of ideas. good luck.
        Originally posted by Funkfingers
        Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

it could be the way the whole band does stops during a solo? adds urgency to the lead if done right but never heard it called that. never heard that term before

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              it could be the way the whole band does stops during a solo? adds urgency to the lead if done right but never heard it called that. never heard that term before
              Read it on some guitar forum while I was googling some stuff... never heard it again.

Comment

I'm thinking that there is a part of the song that has stops on it on the first beat of whatever measure the stops are in (with singing, not behind a solo). Sometimes in the stops section of a blues song, the song stays on the I longer than normal too. Like in B.B. King's "How Blue Can You Get," for instance, with stops on each set of lines (all on the I): "I bought you a brand new Ford; you said you want a Cadillac. I bought you a ten dollar dinner; you said thanks for the snack. I let you stay in my penthouse; you said it was just a shack. I gave you seven children; now you wanna give 'em back," and then ramps up into the IV, and continues the standard blues progression out from there. It's hard to describe in words, but if you have listened to any proper blues at all, you know what it is.
                Last edited by ItsaBass; 06-05-2014, 11:11 AM.
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Yogi Berra was correct.
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I dont think Albert has any unusual stops.
                  He will get into C#min and stay there a good long time.
                  What use to throw me off is not his stops or licks but the way he will let time slip and drag creating a slow spot here and there and its very deliberate then he will put it back together.
                  And as far as i'm concerned a double stop is ANY two notes played together instead of a chord...but has nothing to do with stopping sound.
                  Originally posted by longcat
                  either way...cracker-y goodness.

Comment

Working...
                  X