Pedal-based preamp for CLEAN tones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedal-based preamp for CLEAN tones

I've narrowed my search for a preamp, down to only those that are floor-based preamps. The Engle 430 that speed2dirt had mentioned sounds really apppealing but its out of production and hard to find used.

So I am currently considering the AMT SS-30, to use for my clean tones. It's clean channel sounds the "cleanest" to my ears, out of AMT's whole product line and other stuff I've checked out. All their other preamp pedals seem to have more grit in their clean channel tone, than the SS-30.

Is there any other pedal-based preamp with superb clean tones, that you would recommend I consider? I've already checked out the [Edited] Hughes & Kettner Tubeman, ISP Theta preamp, Lehle Sunday Driver, ADA APP-1, Effectrode Blackbird and EHX Microamp.

The ideal candidate would have two channels, one clean and one overdrive. And if it is multi-channel, it must have separate eq's, gain and volume for each channel.
    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 03-28-2014, 04:09 PM.
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Re: Pedal-based preamp for CLEAN tones

Look at Tech 21.

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Not sure if any of these will fit soley for CLEAN tones, but here are some attractive preamp pedals:

Tube-based
      Koch PedalTone: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Feb0...hpedaltone.asp
      Mesa-Boogie V-Twin: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1994...esaboogie.html
      Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic: http://www.electric-guitar-review.co...sic-overdrive/

No tubes
      ISP Theta: http://www.premierguitar.com/article...a_Preamp_Pedal
      ADA APP-1: http://www.premierguitar.com/article...1_Pedal_Review
      Xotic Effects AC Booster Plus: http://www.premierguitar.com/article...ects-ac-plus-1
      Randall RG13: http://www.guitarworld.com/review-ra...nel-1-watt-amp

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
        Look at Tech 21.

Bill
        Bill, I am really liking what I am hearing in the Tech 21 Blonde demo videos. It's not 2 channel, but since I can get one used for around only $100 vs. $274 for the AMT SS-30, that leaves me good funds left over to buy the ideal overdrive pedal. Thank you, sir!
        Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

The Blonde pedal is great. Another Tech21 choice is the Flyrig5, coming out soon. It has a Blonde pedal, with reverb, and a Plexi pedal (with dedicated hot switch) built in. It sounded amazing at NAMM.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by kingswebe View Post
            Bill, I am really liking what I am hearing in the Tech 21 Blonde demo videos. It's not 2 channel, but since I can get one used for around only $100 vs. $274 for the AMT SS-30, that leaves me good funds left over to buy the ideal overdrive pedal. Thank you, sir!
            I am resurrecting this thread because I renewed my search for a clean preamp pedl. I did try the Tech 21 Blonde a few months ago and thought it lacked headroom - that was based on trying it as a feed into my Fender BDRI's power amp in as well as into the BDRI's input jack.

What got me interested in this again, is I tried a Randall RG-13 preamp at home the other day, doing so primarily out of interest in its distortion tones. Suprisingly, I really dug the clean tones achieved by using Channel 1 on the RG-13 and feeding that into the power amp in on my Fender BDRI. That clean tone is pretty much what I am after in a clean preamp pedal, and hearing how much better my clean tones could be versus straight out of the amp, made me to want to really square this away and get the right preamp pedal. But I can't justify keeping the big and bulky Randall RG-13 if I am not going to use either of the two distortion channels (which I didn't like). So the search goes on, and any of your suggestions for preamp pedals to try are appreciated.
            Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 07-11-2014, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              The Blonde pedal is great. Another Tech21 choice is the Flyrig5, coming out soon. It has a Blonde pedal, with reverb, and a Plexi pedal (with dedicated hot switch) built in. It sounded amazing at NAMM.
              Hadn't seen this thread when it was initially posted, but I now looked up the "Tech 21 Fly Rig 5" (which still seems unavailable) and really liked it's demo....I mean really!
              I have a JOYO American Sound, which is supposed to be a clone of the Tech21 Blonde. I love it's sound, BUT it is 'hissy' and must be accompanied by a noise reduction pedal.
              Last edited by IM4Tone; 07-11-2014, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Does the AMT-30 have better clean than the AMT F1 or V1? What kind of clean sound are you after? Did you try the AMT-SS20 too? How good is the clean of the AMT SS-20 compared to the F1 and the ISP Theta? Can you share a description? Which one is the best platform for stomp boxes?
                Last edited by IMENATOR; 08-29-2014, 07:53 PM.
                Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
                  Does the AMT-30 have better clean than the AMT F1 or V1? What kind of clean sound are you after? Did you try the AMT-SS20 too? How good is the clean of the AMT SS-20 compared to the F1 and the ISP Theta? Can you share a description? Which one is the best platform for stomp boxes?
                  I have hands-on experience with only the Tech 21 Blonde, the AMT SS-30 Bulava, and the Randall RG-13. For all the others, my conclusions are based on the audio and video demos I have found on the Web. How is that AMT F1 working for you? I have been very tempted to try one since learning more bout them from your post a few weeks back about the special switching feature it has....
                  Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 08-29-2014, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Kingswebe, I am still debating on what to buy. I was so willing to buy a marshall then an F1 but my bad knee made me think this twice. I am amateur player but I dont wanna be confined to play low volume home for the hassel of heavy amps. I have decided to go instead for lightweigth rig so I want a pedal board based preamp and power amp and stil be able to use regular stomp box to fill the gap the preamp may not be able to fill. So far I like the AMT SS-20 demos cause of its real tube vibe but it s no in stock. I may be able to try a ISP Theta.
                    Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
                      Kingswebe, I am still debating on what to buy. I was so willing to buy a marshall then an F1 but my bad knee made me think this twice. I am amateur player but I dont wanna be confined to play low volume home for the hassel of heavy amps. I have decided to go instead for lightweigth rig so I want a pedal board based preamp and power amp and stil be able to use regular stomp box to fill the gap the preamp may not be able to fill. So far I like the AMT SS-20 demos cause of its real tube vibe but it s no in stock. I may be able to try a ISP Theta.
                      I hope the SS20 comes back in stock for you soon. want to try an ISP Theta, too. If you try either of them (or the F1), please post how you liked them. And good luck!

Comment

For a clean preamp... I don't think it gets any better than the Ethos Clean.

The best clean tone in the world and the Speaker Simulator output is a KILLER idea. I think they are taking pre-orders for shipment in a couple of months or maybe even less.
                        Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Originally posted by zenmindbeginner View Post
                          For a clean preamp... I don't think it gets any better than the Ethos Clean.

The best clean tone in the world and the Speaker Simulator output is a KILLER idea. I think they are taking pre-orders for shipment in a couple of months or maybe even less.
                          I just heard Bret King demo and it sounds sweet. It is a shame there is not dealer here in Mexico and the overseas shiping price can go stupid high then douple or triple the price, but If that was not the case this would be a serious contendent!!! At least for me here in Mexico, maybe Kingswebe can try it and let us know what he thinks about it, it is his thread after all
                          Who took my guitar?

Comment

The first thing that came to my mind when I read the title of this thread is the Tech 21 Blonde. The Liverpool is also very nice on cleaner settings.
                            sigpic
                            Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
                            JFG Flying V,
                            "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
                            John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

My opinion is that all of them color the tone and compress too much. I prefer to have a separate clean amp w/reverb, and then use the preamps for gain tones only. Clean preamp sections can work, but to me they never sound open and dynamic enough......nothing like a Fender combo.
                              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
                              X