Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 things you didn't know about the Klon

I saw this and had to share...

1) The first known Klon Centaur dates back to 14BC.

2) People in the audience can hear the tone of a Klon Centaur coming from your speaker cone around 210ms before you step on the bypass switch.

3) Klon Centaurs have been known to procreate if placed on the same pedalboard for up to nine months.

4) People will remortgage their home and sell their children to the circus in order to buy a Klon Centaur.

5) Someone will make an offer of $8,999.00 on this eBay listing.

6) Traces of Klon Centaur mid-range tone were recently found by the Mars Rover on the surface of the red planet.

7) If you use a Klon Centaur with a Dumble amp, then that's it, you've won. Congratulations.

8) Normal everyday people CAN tell the difference between a Klon Centaur and a Boss BD2.

9) If you say "Klon Centaur" three times into a mirror, Magorian (the Centaur from Harry Potter) will appear behind you and give you the best tonez.

10) The Klon Centaur sounds best when it is being used for praise and worship genres of music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Re: 10 things you didn't know about the Klon

Looks like TGP humour.

Maybe I hate TGP humour so much because I'm not a blues lawyer playing sold out shows to the posters in my room and unwilling churchgoers every Sunday.
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
      I saw this and had to share...

1) The first known Klon Centaur dates back to 14BC.

2) People in the audience can hear the tone of a Klon Centaur coming from your speaker cone around 210ms before you step on the bypass switch.

3) Klon Centaurs have been known to procreate if placed on the same pedalboard for up to nine months.

4) People will remortgage their home and sell their children to the circus in order to buy a Klon Centaur.

5) Someone will make an offer of $8,999.00 on this eBay listing.

6) Traces of Klon Centaur mid-range tone were recently found by the Mars Rover on the surface of the red planet.

7) If you use a Klon Centaur with a Dumble amp, then that's it, you've won. Congratulations.

8) Normal everyday people CAN tell the difference between a Klon Centaur and a Boss BD2.

9) If you say "Klon Centaur" three times into a mirror, Magorian (the Centaur from Harry Potter) will appear behind you and give you the best tonez.

10) The Klon Centaur sounds best when it is being used for praise and worship genres of music.

Nice.....I don't own a Klon or clone either! ;o)
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
        Originally posted by Securb
        The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

With all the mysticism and BS hype around the Klon I thought it was funny.

As a side note can a mod please move this to the amp room or maybe even use it as the kick off thread in the pedal room?!

If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I don't even know what a Klon is.

Comment

I got a THX Soul Food, which is a klone. They're only $65, so not much risk taken on it. It really does have a loud, rattling tube amp quality to it that seems to transcend the effect of most diode clipping ODs. Two things though, it's not transparent like some people claim it to be, and I don't think the assertive, mid heavy tone it puts out is quite as versatile as that of an OD808. It might just be that I've heard Tube Screamers on more recordings and so I think of the TS tone as being 'middle C' of sorts.

While we're on the subject, the Joyo Sweet Baby is an awesome boost/OD to. That I would describe as transparent and versatile. I have a hard time wanting to disengage it for something else. It's close to the Full Drive in flat mids mode, but with a slightly softer breakup that's easier on the ears.

If there's a pedal which I'm skeptical of being over hyped on account of the sort of claims that are made about it, it would be the Tim/Timmy. A lot of people say "imagine your amp has a gain channel"... how would you know what that should sound like if it does not have one? If EHX makes one for $60 I'll try it, though.

Comment

"Transparent" is just a word. It's not a sound. It conjures up a mental image but it conjures up a different mental image in every person.

Obviously, the word "transparent" conjured up a mental picture in your mind that wasn't based on reality.

It happens - all the time.

I bought a used, handwired PCE Aluminum Falcon Klon Klone a couple of years ago and liked it so much I bought two more. At the time PCE had stopped making them and couldn't fulfill orders and I liked mine so much I never wanted to be without one.

I still feel that way.

For me, the Klon circuit delivers what no other overdrive pedal has ever been able to deliver to me.

I play mostly Strats, and the Klon circuit allows me to get a great overdriven sound when I turn the Strat's volume control all the way up, and a nice clean/semi-clean tone when I turn that volume control down again.

I can and do leave the Klon on all of the time. I never turn it off when I'm plugged into it. Try that with a Big Muff.

The Klon responds to the way I use my hands and my pick and allows me to retain the dynamics in my playing instead of making everything uniformly compressed, buzzy and fuzzy. My own personality and touch still comes through.

BTW, I've been playing guitar since 1964 and my first Fuzz was one I made myself out of a Wollensak reel to reel tape recorder because no distortion pedals were available in stores.

My second was one of those original Maestro Fuzz Tones with the gray guitar cord permanently attached to the pedal. Mid 60's.
                “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by DarkMatter View Post
                  Me either
                  https://www.rockstockpedals.com/

Comment

I saw this on Facebook, and even though I'm a fan of the Klon circuit, I still found it funny.
                    Go Packers!

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
                      Looks like TGP humour.

Maybe I hate TGP humour so much because I'm not a blues lawyer playing sold out shows to the posters in my room and unwilling churchgoers every Sunday.
                      Are you sure? Your use of the British spelling of "humor" lends an air that makes me wonder if you might fit in.
                      Originally posted by LesStrat
                      make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                      My Music

Comment

Originally posted by DarkMatter View Post
                        Originally posted by phred View Post
                        Me either
                        No idea whatsoever...
                        Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
                        I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
                        Originally posted by That90'sGuy
                        Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

Originally posted by KeeperOS View Post
                          No idea whatsoever...
                          Here you go.
                          Custom neck-thru strat
                          1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                          1995 PRS CE24
                          D'avanzo #8
                          Breedlove Solo Concert
                          1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                          1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                          1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                          Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                            "Transparent" is just a word. It's not a sound. It conjures up a mental image but it conjures up a different mental image in every person.

Obviously, the word "transparent" conjured up a mental picture in your mind that wasn't based on reality.
                            Transparent means the EQ profile remains relatively the same.

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post

I can and do leave the Klon on all of the time. I never turn it off when I'm plugged into it. Try that with a Big Muff.

The Klon responds to the way I use my hands and my pick and allows me to retain the dynamics in my playing instead of making everything uniformly compressed, buzzy and fuzzy. My own personality and touch still comes through.
                            Fuzzes and overdrives are not the same thing. I can see leaving the Soul Food on if you have the gain down and the volume up, but increasing the gain colors the tone quite a bit and its takes on a more specific tone, like tube amp about to break tone.

I saw that you play blues in a youtube clip you posted. If you stick to a genre, then versatility is not required to begin with. Such players can plug straight into a suitable amp and go. To my ear, the Soul Food doesn't do subtle, it pushes the guitar to the front of the line. It un-scoops the EQ and floats the guitar to the top of the mix. That doesn't work for me when I'm trying to do something subtle, dark, or moody, or trying to have a more understated sound. Not only can I do dark, subtle and dirty with an OD808, I'm hard pressed to think of a pedal that does it better.

Comment

One time, I looked down at my pedalboard and saw the little red centaur on my Klon running in place. I was in the spirit world, but it really happened.
                              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
                              X