Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Solid State or Tube Head?

Originally posted by everdrone View Post
    no! heh drummers have little bulk compared to any full stack type doomers.

solid state Gallien amps weigh less than 10 pounds!!

tube amps like Orange AD200B weigh 60 pounds. combine the two for sonic mayhem!!!!
    I can get the job done just fine with a Gallien. It's all I've ever needed.
    Soundcloud

Comment

Solid-states and hybrids with plenty of wattage and headroom can be devastatingly loud even if the guitarists are using tube amps. For a good stage mix, there's no way anyone is going to be running at anything close to maximum volume in either case (unless you're micing up a pignose or one of those little GK amps from the late 80s). After you've determined the volume capabilities cut the mustard, it's about what gets the sound you like or what will work with the rest of the band.
      The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeAces View Post
        I can get the job done just fine with a Gallien. It's all I've ever needed.
        I had a gallien 212 combo amp rated at 500 watts weighing 40 pounds. It did not have much growl so I used my tech 21 vtbass pedal with it, but I was not completely satisfied. the next step for me is jonesing after an awesome tube amp I would crank it and it would sound awesome, but the low end would go away, so I need to biamp

Comment

Originally posted by everdrone View Post
          I had a gallien 212 combo amp rated at 500 watts weighing 40 pounds. It did not have much growl so I used my tech 21 vtbass pedal with it, but I was not completely satisfied. the next step for me is jonesing after an awesome tube amp I would crank it and it would sound awesome, but the low end would go away, so I need to biamp
          My Gallien-Krueger 1001RB:

Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeAces View Post
            My Gallien-Krueger 1001RB:

Nice. I use 1/2 of the 2001rb with the 10db pad kicked in. The boost knob is where the sick growl is. I also roll the contour off. I'm anxious to try the fusion 550 too.
            Last edited by Falloffthebonetone; 05-09-2015, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
              Nice. I use 1/2 of the 2001rb with the 10db pad kicked in. The boost knob is where the sick growl is. I also roll the contour off. I'm anxious to try the fusion 550 too.
              Awesome! You have good taste my friend!
              Soundcloud

Comment

FWIW, my main amp is a 300 watt tube amp....it really is all about your preference and what sounds good to you. I am a hobbyist that mainly plays roots music with friends. My amp can definitely get down and dirty IF I want it to, but 99% of the time I pair it with a single 18" cab and set the master and gain at a reasonable level for the "clean head room". I would not trade it for all of the SS amps in the world.

Comment

^Single 18? Cool! Who makes the driver? Other than Peavey and JBL, I don't know of anybody still cranking those out.

Which tube amp do you use?
                  sigpic
                  "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
                  --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
                  Originally posted by Lewguitar
                  In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

Originally posted by ginormous View Post
                    ^Single 18? Cool! Who makes the driver? Other than Peavey and JBL, I don't know of anybody still cranking those out.

Which tube amp do you use?
                    Right now, I am just using a used Trace Elliot ( a 1518 maybe? I'll have to check the specific model # here in a bit ) powered by my Ashdown CTM-300. As far as I know, Faital makes a modern 18. What started me down the 18 route was that I was actually looking into a greenboy audio 15/6, and the closest authorized builder to me was Mark Robertson from BNA Audio. He mentioned to me to check out an 18 for the type of music that I play, and I was a little leery seeing how I never used a driver THAT big....of course, I did what every person with the world's knowledge at their fingertips did and hit the internet for more info....after finding a mixed bag of reviews, I decided that the only way to know for sure was to try one. I'll be damned if Mark wasn't right and the 18 was perfect for what I like to play....now I am saving my pennies for one of his custom 18 cabs to match my head :-D

Comment

I supposed if you're just going for grit, then a warm tube head would be better than a solid state head. If you need a combination or you are playing super clean, then SS probably works better. I like the sound of my Fender Rumble 75 and the grit sounds amazing on it.
                      Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                      Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                      Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                      Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                      Line 6 Helix
                      Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
                        I supposed if you're just going for grit, then a warm tube head would be better than a solid state head. If you need a combination or you are playing super clean, then SS probably works better. I like the sound of my Fender Rumble 75 and the grit sounds amazing on it.
                        Not necessarily....it all depends on how hard you drive the head from my experience. I can get mine to sound as clean as I want it, clean being relative seeing how every amp manufacturer "flavors" their amps in certain frequencies.

Comment

I like hybrids; 80% of the tube tone for only 50% of the weight (or less). longcat and I currently have an SVT 3 Pro and I love it. A past bass player had a Mesa M2000 which was pretty cool as well, but a bit complicated to wrap your head around.
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
                          X