banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

I got the jack today and got tired of waiting for my control plate from China. It's been a month since I ordered it so I stole one from another guitar until it arrives. Action and intonation have been set and the only obvious error I made was with wiring the jack. I replaced the nut and I'm surprised it's only a tiny bit sharp at the first fret on the top two strings. Although I carefully sanded and measured the two nuts with digital calipers so they had identical profiles just different depth slots. So I can glue the nut in and then tweak top two string slots when my nut files arrive. These Ultrasonic pickups are hot, balanced, and resonant sounding. The bridge coil reads 18k, out of phase position is 8K, neck coil is 11.5K, and the two in series read around 27K.
    Attached Files

Comment

heard good things about the ultrasonic pups but never seem em in the wild. passive stacks or ?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        heard good things about the ultrasonic pups but never seem em in the wild. passive stacks or ?
        Epoxy potted passives. I'm not sure if they are stacks or mini-humbuckers? Their selling point was that they were supposed to have a flat EQ and be tonally transparent. They were designed by Bill Lawrence and built for a short time in West Germany.
        Last edited by idsnowdog; 11-01-2019, 01:04 PM.

Comment

I got some ultrasonics. They are neat for sure.

Comment

Got some routes and bevels down.
            Attached Files

Comment

Decided to finish and rub some stain on..
              Attached Files

Comment

Got another body cut out. Waiting on the neck.
                Attached Files

Comment

Flying v finally finished. At about 30% of the cost of the scott ian king v. And some other differences such as the 'double rhodes' shape being broader/longer than the king v (but not by a whole lot) built with my favorite tonewood combo. I wasn't too crazy about the huge block inlays, bound with dots is my favorite look. both guitars are 24.75 scale. Which kind of surprised me that Jackson would make any guitars in Gibson scale..
                  Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	sgtob.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	5817787

Got some routing done. Thinking about a tobacco sunburst for this one.

Comment

Decided to grow a pair and make the outer burst using a propane torch. Some stain and flat black spray paint afterward.

Second attempt ever at a sunburst finish, i'm pretty satisfied with this one.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Made two bridges out of a chunk of 4" brass stock we have on hand. I cut the slice out back in November, been milling on the two half's off and on since then.

One I made the saddles out of three key blanks, the other I salvaged from a spare TOM..
                        Attached Files

Comment

that looks terrific! how heavy are they?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                            that looks terrific! how heavy are they?
                            I don't have a scale available, they both feel near equal. I have around 1/16" less material around the stud mount ends with the one on the right. I wasnt really able to drill/tap for adjustment screws. I was thinking the saddles would take up enough when setting intonation. But it now turns out I have more work to do on that. The one on the left looks better and ought to work well. I'm using this one for the sunburst sg.

Comment

Originally posted by mistermikev View Post
                              finished my "sweet spot blonde"
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]100018[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]100019[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]100020[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]100021[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]100022[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]100023[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]100024[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]100025[/ATTACH]
                              Looks great - nice work.

So what does each control do? And what combinations does the pickup selector switch yield?
                              Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

silver-soldered some more brass on the backside, was able to drill/tap some 6/32 screws for adjustment. Cleaned up, and dialed in.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X