banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

Two Ibanez Projects at the moment: '87 RG550M Neck/'91 RG570FM Body, DiMarzio Air Norton F/Seymour Duncan Lil '59/DiMarzio Tone Zone F and, currently, an '86 Floyd Rose Original and a 2000 RG520QS which will be getting A DiMarzio Air Norton F/DiMarzio Tone Zone F Set in Green.
    Attached Files
    MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
    1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
    1988 Kramer Nightswan
    1989 Charvel Sambora
    2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
    Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star Combo
    Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve

sigpic

Comment

Haven't taken pic after glitter burst yet. Once the rain lets up and if the sun comes out from hiding again. I need to finish the clear coat. I have learned that glitter can mean a lot more clear. At first leaving a surface that resembles 60 grit sandpaper. If I glitter again I have a better game plan. This is going to need a lot more clear to get this right.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by moth_baller View Post
        That's awesome looking. Denim? I'm looking at doing my ibanez as a fabric top.
        Yes Denim, went a lot darker with the lacquer clear coats

Click image for larger version

Name:	11164797_757367547715878_4543968025673289816_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	5801008
        https://www.facebook.com/ChaozGuitars

Comment

Originally posted by ChAoZ View Post
          Yes Denim, went a lot darker with the lacquer clear coats

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81812[/ATTACH]
          Turned out cool. Did it seem to change the tone?

Comment

Originally posted by moth_baller View Post
            Turned out cool. Did it seem to change the tone?
            Don't know, never played it before I put the denim on, one piece Bubinga body and an SD Custom 5 are a dream tone combo -made in the place of the imaginary afterlife of your choosing

Name:	11269821_757367454382554_7844830791159089518_n.jpg
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	5801013

Comment

I've just finished this one... No, I don't like sober things .

Name:	copertina instagram2.jpg
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	5801014
              www.oniricaguitars.com

Comment

More progress. Glitter coats are hard to get good pics with a smartphone, even in sunlight. Went for a glitter burst for the top. If there's a next time that I use glitter I'm using a mini roller for the clear so I can get more build up faster. First couple coats felt like 60 grit. Probably sanded away more glitter than apparent. Still needs more clear. Weather isn't cooperating. Next pics I post of this will be the finished product.

Comment

I really like that!
                  I strive to be the person my dog thinks I am.

Comment

• Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

Originally posted by thebingopete View Post
                    If there's a next time that I use glitter I'm using a mini roller for the clear so I can get more build up faster.
                    This little tidbit is coming from a guy who has been selling paint since 1988. Any roller can only lay on so much coating, depending on the length of the nap. The rolling action both lays on and picks up at the same time, thus very efficiently controlling the amount of film build. Clears tend to get bubbles when using a roller cover unless it's an extremely short nap (and even then it's dicey), but then you have the short nap keeping your film build down. Longer naps will just leave you a bunch of stipple that you have to sand out without doing any filling between the pieces of glitter.

Spraying is really the best way get film built up quickly, but you may need to use a different coating that's designed to be able to dry correctly at higher builds and resists runs and drips. They're out there... the furniture industry uses all sorts of hi-tech finishes.

By the way, I really love what you're doing with that... looks awesome! [emoji41][emoji1303]
                    Last edited by BriGuy1968; 07-16-2017, 02:31 AM.
                    Originally posted by The Commodores?
                    "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

I get that, makes sense. Technically you are right. Also depends on skills with paint. Was considering one of those disposable mini rollers with almost no nap because of the bubbles. I've worked with most paints for nearly as long. Learned some tricks over the years. With the texture of the glitter I'm reminded of some textured walls I've painted that the roller coating seemed to tame quickly. And I spray outdoors so I loose a lot to wind. If rolling with a very light hand it doesn't pick back up as much, leaving more behind on the surface. It's not an easy technique but effective. One of the paint companies I worked for, was always experimenting. We did a few things successfully that should not have worked. So that always keeps me positive that whatever unorthodox mix of mediums I use will work. I've had my share of fails too. But hey, it's only paint. I can fix it.

Comment

Forgot to add. Wasn't worried about uneven because the intention is load heavy to give depth and sand to glass smooth.

Comment

I start with this. two neck blanks. The left one is for a les paul (4A maple top on black korina, ziricote fretboard, trem, 2x p90 and humbucker). this neck is an ovangkol/wenge neck.

the right one is for a PRS inspired build. it's a 17 piece neck with maple, walnut, wenge, padouk and moabi.

Comment

Then there's this. a single piece quilted mahogany body. will get an ovangkol/wenge neck with a cocobolo board, floyd rose, 2 prails and standard LP controls.

it's sister (also carved, almost same specs). ziricote backplates. cause, why not?

Comment

Complete. Rosetta. Named after the Godmother of Rock and Roll, Sister Rosetta Tharpe.

Comment

Working on a 7 string multi-scale

Name:	20993242_1225837820854100_340612748_o.jpg
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	5801368

Comment

Working...
                                X