banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

Strange Guitars, do you have a web-site or someplace to check out all your whiz bang guitfiddles? I like what I see and truthfully would like to see more, knowhutimean?
    Last edited by TIGEREYELASER; 07-19-2014, 03:48 PM.
    Squier Bullet Special or a Squier Partscaster into a ZOOM G1Next into either a Fender Frontman 25R or a Vox Pathfinder 15R.

"Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and defeat you with experience." ~Mark Twain

I like to remember that Jesus loves me, even if everyone else thinks I'm a pain in the butt...

Comment

• Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

My Relic Strat build is through. She is all together, and plays nice. I bought the body first, and it was stripped. No hardware at all, just the body.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	011.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	5780111Click image for larger version

Name:	010.JPG
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	5780112
      When it came in the mail I was worried because the body seemed very light, in fact I've never held a lighter Strat body. It is a Road Worn Players series body. I got a almost new 2014 Road Worn maple neck. I like the newer Road Worn stuff, because the necks aren't as worn as the old ones. I thought some older ones that I saw looked over done. I bought used hardware, and I bought a loaded pickguard from D. Allen. The pickups are his Flat50's, which are A3 magnets, and are vintage wound. They are definitely NOT high output, but very bell like, chimey tones. The pots were wired Eric Johnson/Jimmie Vaughan style, with the second tone knob for the bridge pickup, and the middle pickup wide open.

Name:	017.jpg
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	5780113Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	5780114 Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	5780115

As I said, it turned out great. It plays very loud unplugged, which I took as a good sign. The neck pocket is very tight, and required no shimming. The pickups are great clean, but also take gain very well. I like the Parchment plastics better that the Fender Road Worn stuff with the dingy dirty crap around the edges. Another Partscaster finished. Here's a new family photo:

Name:	018.jpg
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	5780116
      Last edited by mojosman; 07-19-2014, 09:30 PM. Reason: grammer

Comment

Originally posted by TIGEREYELASER View Post
        Strange Guitars, do you have a web-site or someplace to check out all your whiz bang guitfiddles? I like what I see and truthfully would like to see more, knowhutimean?

Thank you. No website.

Comment

Waiting for the pups to arrive. Before the "burning" I strung it up and it plays good acoustically. It´s not a beauty but I´m quite surprised how well it turned up for a first build. It´s a two-piece pine body and after the routing, sanding and some other finishing I´ll paint it with lacquer.
          Jackson JS30
          Squier Strat ´99
          Project-Ibanez - something?
          Ex-Pinecaster - bad choice of wood, man

Comment

Originally posted by BeatTheBastard View Post

Waiting for the pups to arrive. Before the "burning" I strung it up and it plays good acoustically. It´s not a beauty but I´m quite surprised how well it turned up for a first build. It´s a two-piece pine body and after the routing, sanding and some other finishing I´ll paint it with lacquer.
            There's just something aestheticaslly pleasing about a knotty pine body. The burninated look is a good one IMHO. Can't wait to see her in her full glory, be sure to update us...
            Squier Bullet Special or a Squier Partscaster into a ZOOM G1Next into either a Fender Frontman 25R or a Vox Pathfinder 15R.

"Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and defeat you with experience." ~Mark Twain

I like to remember that Jesus loves me, even if everyone else thinks I'm a pain in the butt...

Comment

Originally posted by mojosman View Post
              Here's a new family photo:
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]55838[/ATTACH]
              That's some epic looking sofa you got there.
              I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Originally posted by TIGEREYELASER View Post
                There's just something aestheticaslly pleasing about a knotty pine body. The burninated look is a good one IMHO. Can't wait to see her in her full glory, be sure to update us...
                Yes sir, I´ll update immediately when the pups have arrived and they´ve been mounted to body.

There´s lots of things I´d still change, but I didn´t except it to become a playable guitar! Just an attempt to build a guitar. Overall I´m pleased. String through ferrules aren´t lined up perfectly from the back (I drilled the holes by hand), the neck pocket (made it with a chisel, hard to believe it turned up good enough to hold the neck) and all little stuff. Wish I had some better tools, by far I used chisel, handsaw, different files and lots of sanding paper. Only electric tools I´ve used are the electric drill and little sanding machine which was only usable for the top.

A little voice inside tells me to make a V one next.. With single humbucker and Esquire wiring. And of course with similar finish.
                Jackson JS30
                Squier Strat ´99
                Project-Ibanez - something?
                Ex-Pinecaster - bad choice of wood, man

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
                  That's some epic looking sofa you got there.
                  Kam, that is my wife's doing. I wish you could see the whole thing. People walk in our living room and go "whoa!" They can't believe how much sofa we have. We needed new furniture, and she bought it when I was working. I was off the day they delivered it. They just kept bringing more couch into the house. We don't entertain all that much, but when we do there is always a place to sit down. It's a massive sectional.

Comment

Whoa, sunburst fretboard???

That is cool.

Comment

speaking of builds...

Izzo, weren't you supposed to be working on a Star build of some sort last year? Whatever became of that?

Comment

Thanks for reminding me how far behind I am.

I'm gonna stack everything up and take a pic tonight for lolz.

Comment

lol yay.

Comment

Just finished. except for the tweaking ...

Comment

helluva nice collection you got there man!

I gotta ask.. with that wilkinson TOM style roller bridge on that tele, don't you need to shim-in a slight neck angle? The action looks a bit too high to my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by CTN View Post
                                helluva nice collection you got there man!

I gotta ask.. with that wilkinson TOM style roller bridge on that tele, don't you need to shim-in a slight neck angle? The action looks a bit too high to my eyes.
                                Thanks..Yeah, I've shimmed the neck since I took these pics and dropped the action quite a bit, although..I think I'm going to work on a hardwood shim with the correct angle to get the action to come down just a tad more... right now it's playable, probably wait for the neck to get where it wants to be then make a decision, sounds sweet though, The trem will take a little getting used to, I haven't had a bigsby style trem since my Starfire V...many, many brain cells ago, unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
                                X