Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting one of these..

....just for the Looper!

I don't really get to play along to anything these days, drums/backing tracks & stuff like that..not even a metronome. I'm old school so I won't be pugging into my computer and fiddling around with any of that stuff.

My band's drummer plays in 5 other bands & when we jam it's just our band songs most of the time..so not much luck there either. A lot of the stuff I mess around with is'nt really in that mould at all..

I'd been thinking of getting a looper with built in drum tracks ...had my eye on the Boss RC-3 (if I could find one cheap), then NUX came out with a copy that's half the price which was cool, almost pulled the trigger on that until I saw this ....seemed like a no-brainer for $50...though it's not a dedicated loop pedal..... more like a multiFX...

So it's as good as on it's way.. anyone else try one? Should I get the Boss/Nux instead for some unknown reason lol? Also, there's version of the Zoom G1on (ie.. G1Xon) with an expression pedal for not much more $$$ . Would the exp-pedal have anything to do with the Loop function? (Make things easier to control or something?) Because that's all I really want the Zoom for & if it's (expression pedal) useless for that I might as well stick to this unit (without an expression pedal).

Here are the specs...

FEATURES

• Up to 5 effects can be used simultaneously, chained together in any order
    • 100 memory locations (10 banks of 10) for the storage of user-created patches
    • Copy and Swap functions make patch organization a breeze
    • Auto Save function for automatic saving of all patch parameters
    • Pre Select function allows you to scroll through patches silently while keeping the current patch operational
    • Onboard chromatic tuner supports all standard guitar tunings, including open and drop tunings
    • Looper feature for the recording of up to 30 seconds / 64 beats of CD-quality audio with seamless start and end times
    • 68 built-in rhythm patterns which can be used in conjunction with the Looper
    • Input jack accepts standard mono guitar cable (both active and passive instruments supported)
    • Auxiliary input jack for connection of personal music players
    • Output jack for connection to amp or headphones
    • Backlit LCD with contrast control for easy viewing in low-light environments
    • Lightweight and small enough to fit in your gig bag
    • Easily integrated into any existing pedal board
    • Runs on 4 AA batteries, with alkaline battery life of 20 hours
    • USB port for firmware updates
    • Optional AC adapter
    Amazing effects, amazing features, amazing sound

The G1on offers 75 guitar effects, including a variety of distortion, compression, modulation, delay, reverb and amp models.

Up to 5 effects can be used simultaneously, chained together any way you like. In addition, there are 68 built-in rhythm accompaniment patterns, and you can connect headphones to the output jack (as well as portable music players to the auxiliary input jack) for silent practice sessions. There's an onboard chromatic tuner that supports all standard guitar tunings, including open and drop tunings, and a Looper feature that enables you to record up to 30 seconds of CD-quality audio. Loop length can be set either manually or to a preset number of quarter notes (up to 64 beats), and you can loop to any rhythm pattern, with automatic quantization that ensures seamless start and end times. Programming is simple and straightforward, thanks to a streamlined user interface and the large backlit LCD screen.

Advanced features such as Copy and Swap make it easy to organize your patches for live performance. An Auto Save function ensures that your edits are stored automatically, and a Pre Select feature allows you to scroll through patches silently while keeping the current patch operational.

Dozens of different ways to make you a guitar hero

Both the G1on and the G1Xon allow you to choose from 75 different onboard DSP effects. For ease of use, these are organized into the following categories:

Dynamics / Filter
    Eleven different ways to shape and control your sound with compressors, noise gates, filters, equalizers and wah effects. Emulate the classic tone of the MXR Dynacomp, dbx 160, Moog Filter or Z. Vex Seek-Wah, or create all-new effects using the automatic Slow Attack, parametric equalizer or six-band graphic EQ. Or choose Zoom's unique Noise Reduction (ZNR) algorithm, designed to remove noise during pauses while still maintaining your guitar's natural tone.

Overdrive / Distortion
    Twelve of the best boosters, overdrives, fuzzes and lead guitar sounds you've ever heard, including simulations of the BOSS OD-1, MXR Distortion+, Marshall Guv'nor, Fuzz Face, Big Muff and Pro Co Rat. Our ExtremeDS effect offers the most powerful gain of any distortion effect in the world, and there's also a simulator that allows your electric guitar to sound like an acoustic.

Amp
    Twenty-two of the most realistic models ever created, including simulations of classic tube and solid-state amps from manufacturers like Fender, Marshall, Vox, Hiwatt, Mesa Boogie, Orange, Bogner, Matchless and Diezel. Our amp sounds are so lifelike, you'll swear on a stack of speaker cabinets you're listening to the real thing.

Modulation / Special effects
    Round out your sound with your choice of sixteen phasers and flangers, plus chorus, pitch shift, tremolo and vibrato. Included are emulations of the ADA Flanger, Boss CH-1 Super Chorus and TC Electronic Corona Chorus, as well as the Zoom HPS, an intelligent harmonizer that plays along in key, and a ring modulator that adds bell-like tones to your guitar. And when you're ready to go after some truly off-the-wall sounds, try out the endlessly rhythmic Slicer.

Delay / Reverb
    Fourteen delays and natural-sounding reverbs, including rooms, halls, plates, springs, and tape delay simulators, all designed to add depth and spaciousness to your sound, with delay times of up to 4 seconds. You'll even find reverse delays, modulated reverbs and particle reverbs here—everything you need to place your guitar in a realistic space … or a totally unearthly one.

Effects Chaining
    Complex multi-effects made easy.

Question: When is a guitar effects pedal not just an effects pedal? Answer: When it's a multi-effects pedal.
    The G1on/G1Xon not only allows you to select and edit any of its onboard effects, it enables you to use up to 5 of them simultaneously, chained together in any order you like. This kind of power and flexibility means that you can create rich, complex effects within the unit itself instead of having to use multiple pedals.

Stompbox chains typically start with dynamics effects such as compression, before routing the signal to wah, EQ, distortion and/or overdrive effects. Modulation and spatial effects such as chorus, delay and reverb are usually placed at the end of the chain.

However, there are no hard and fast rules on how to chain effects. Exciting new sounds can easily be discovered with a little experimentation and some imaginative effect chaining. The G1on/G1Xon gives you the ability to get creative with your effects chaining.

You can also easily edit chains you've previously created. Simple changes in the order of effects can alter sounds dramatically. For example, an EQ set before an amp model can result in a radically different sound than having the EQ set after the amp model. That's because putting the EQ before the amp model serves to not only alter the tonal characteristic of the sound but to act as a signal booster as well. All this can be done internally with the G1on/G1Xon—much easier than physically changing the order of stompboxes.

Tuner
    Stayin' in tune.

Guitarists know the importance of playing in tune. But it's not just about getting your instrument in tune; it's about keeping it in tune all night. That's no problem if you're using a G1on/G1Xon, because its built-in Tuner makes the task totally stress-free, even under the pressure of a live gig and the heat of stage lighting.

The G1on/G1Xon Tuner is instantly accessible at all times: All you have to do is step on the two foot pedals simultaneously and the backlit LCD screen immediately shows you whether the note you're playing is sharp, flat, or dead on. You can opt to either bypass the currently selected effect (thus giving you a clean, unaffected sound) when tuning, or to mute the signal altogether, allowing you to tune in silence.

The G1on/G1Xon Tuner is incredibly flexible, too: It can be set to a reference of A=440, or any value between 435 and 445, and can be used chromatically or in a variety of standard guitar tunings—even drop tunings of up to 3 semitones.

Rhythms
    The perfect accompaniment.

Rhythm training is an important part of every guitarist's craft. The G1on/G1Xon Rhythm function makes it easy and fun to do. 68 realistic-sounding rhythms are at your fingertips: PCM samples of actual drums playing real-life patterns in a variety of different genres—everything from rock to jazz, from Emo to Motown. Dozens of quarter-note, eighth-note and sixteenth-note rhythms are provided, in 4/4, 6/8 (shuffle) and 3/4 (waltz time); for the adventurous, there's even a 5/4 groove!

The Rhythm function can also be used in conjunction with the Looper function (see below), allowing you to craft complex guitar orchestrations overlaying the pattern of your choice.

Looper
    Build a complete performance.

Got a great lick that you'd like to expand on, or a distinctive chord progression that you think could serve as the foundation for an exciting improvisation or an inspired solo? Explore your creativity to its fullest with the G1on/G1Xon Looper function, which allows you to layer up to 30 seconds of performance (through the effect or effects of your choice) in high quality audio (16-bit 44.1kHz). Recording time can either be set manually or to a preset number of quarter notes, up to 64 beats, and starting and stopping the Looper (as well as readying it for an overdub or clearing its memory altogether) is as easy as pressing a pedal—no hands required.

The G1on/G1Xon Looper can also be used in conjunction with the Rhythm function, allowing you to play along with the pattern of your choice.

Auto Save
    Edits saved. All the time.

Finally got that perfect effect crafted, but afraid you'll lose it? It'll never happen when you use the G1on/G1Xon's handy Auto Save function. When switched on, whatever you change will automatically be saved.

Alternatively, if you'd prefer the insurance of a safety net (so that you never accidentally overwrite a patch), simply leave Auto Save off. The G1on/G1Xon will then politely ask you if you want to save your edits whenever you move on to a different patch. Settings can be saved to the currently selected memory area, or to any other area, allowing you to place it where it's most convenient.

The G1on/G1Xon makes naming patches a breeze, too—simply use the parameter knob to dial in the characters you want. Patch names can be up to ten characters long, and each patch can be assigned its own level as well, allowing you to ensure consistent volume even when going from a gentle acoustic sound to heavy metal overdrive.

Pre Select
    Choose the effect you want before the audience hears it.

Normally, you'll want to store your custom G1on/G1Xon patches adjacent to one another so that stepping on the right-hand pedal will scroll through them in the order needed—something that's easily accomplished using the handy Copy and Swap functions. In that circumstance, you'll also want the sound to change immediately, and this is the way the G1on/G1Xon normally operates.

However, if you haven't stored your patches in adjacent memory locations, or if you simply get the urge to experiment and change things up in the middle of a performance, just turn on the G1on/G1Xon Pre Select function. This allows you to scroll through patches silently, with the current sound remaining unchanged as you do so. When you find the patch you want to use next, step on both pedals simultaneously and it will be automatically selected, with the sound changing instantly.

Power functions
    More power to you.

When it comes to powering your G1on/G1Xon, you've got lots of options. It runs on just 4 AA batteries—either alkaline or rechargeable NiMH—or you can use the optional Zoom AD-16 AC adapter to power it from any standard wall socket.

When running on batteries, the G1on/G1Xon powers up automatically when a jack is inserted into its input connector, and a unique "eco" function can be used to automatically power the unit off if unused for 10 hours.

Battery life (when using alkaline batteries) is more than 20 hours, even during continuous use, and a handy "battery remaining" display shows you how much power is remaining. To extend battery life further still, you can opt to have the backlit LCD display turn off automatically after 15 or 30 seconds after the pedal was last used. 

Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 06-04-2014, 10:49 AM.
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Re: Getting one of these..

The ad copy you posted above does seem to indicate that it does looping as well.
    Not heard of any of the items you mentioned but will be watching this thread w interest.
    It's a pain to turn on the computer and have to sit in front of it to jam on ideas.

And the zoom is the same price as a few beers w a friend! (at least in NYC!)
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
      The ad copy you posted above does seem to indicate that it does looping as well.
      Not heard of any of the items you mentioned but will be watching this thread w interest.
      It's a pain to turn on the computer and have to sit in front of it to jam on ideas.

And the zoom is the same price as a few beers w a friend! (at least in NYC!)
      Yeah, very useful for that sort of thing... a lot of people seem to be getting it just for the looper judging from the reviews out there/youtube demo's....specially since the nearest dedicated loop pedal costs at least double/three times as much...

This the nux pedal.. ($100)

..and the Zoom:

Drum presets sound pretty decent too..

Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 06-04-2014, 10:47 AM.

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

The zoom unit is a multifx, their new lineup of small size mfx units. These kinda look fragile(and toyish) compared to the G3/G3X/G5 units. I don't think the exp can be used to control the looper functions on it. The Boss RC3 may leave you wanting to upgrade to their RC30 or the RC300(floorboard sized unit), but it will be reliable in way that you can stomp on it numerous times before the switch wears out or malfunctions. Never heard of Nux, looks like competition for Joyo.

For >$50 if it were me, I'd find an old big stereo cassette player with an aux input & connect my smartphone to it for playback of drum tracks. Drum tracks are usually available for not too much bucks & there are probably some free tracks somewhere out there. There's probably a free program that lets you create drum tracks yourself, converting those to mp3 or acc type file & replaying through a phone->stereo can work.

Anyways, from the ones you are looking at, the used RC3 seems more reliable & useable for your needs. The RC30 is probably the better one since you get two pedals to rec/dub maybe.

Comment

Thanks man, I did'nt really think the expression pedal added anything to the loop function & apparently you don't either so I guess that settles it. I don't have either a smartphone or a tape deck that works so the Zoom is still looking like the best choice for me at the moment. (ie..the smaller G1on without the exp-pedal).

I already have an old king-sized Boss GT-6 multi-Fx board which has been sitting around in it's box untouched/in mint condition for the better part of a decade. Way too many parameters and options for me, so the simplicity of this little Zoom unit is actually a big draw. I'm only going to be using the Zoom at home for practice/something to Jam along to ..to work on my timing which has been going to the dogs lately lol.....it will probably hold up for that.

Youtube

Comment

Ditto looper is pretty cheap and wonderful , upgraded to the Ditto X2 just because I could. One knob and one button simple and easy to use, 5 min of loop with unlimited overdubs . Get them all day long on ebay for $99. Oh yeah it is tiny barely takes up half a spot on your board.
            Originally posted by Oinkus
            I had Big Flannel over here the other night , cleaned up his Tele and did some setup on it , took out the camera and set it down on the desk. I am easily distrac

Comment

It seems like a nice little pedal, & yeah you obviously can't get simpler than that, but unfortunately ..no drums. I really need the drum tracks to jam along to ..it's home practice I'm looking to use it for ..not live gigs.

Youtube

Comment

Well the X2 (for $169) you can pretty much put anything into it via USB they have downloads on the site too, tone prints. I bought a 25' USB cable so I don't have to move it to attach to computer. Use any backing track website like this one http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/ and you can DL stuff (wav files) to play along with or I just play along with my computer it is a free practice partner. I have used a bunch of different Boss loopers like the RC2 and RC3 the 200 , 300 and 500 the drums just aren't that good and/or adjustable enough. Hard call to make because those things always will require some work to get up and running not to mention the learning curve with the more complicated units.Once you get them home ,hooked up and working you have to actually get it to do what you want.
                Last edited by Oinkus; 06-05-2014, 03:22 PM.
                Originally posted by Oinkus
                I had Big Flannel over here the other night , cleaned up his Tele and did some setup on it , took out the camera and set it down on the desk. I am easily distrac

Comment

For $50, I'm going to give the Zoom a go first ....if it falls short in some way, I'm keeping ^^ that in mind....thanks for the suggestion

Youtube

Comment

Keep in mind the Zoom won't let you save loops, so you will have to rebuild your backing tracks every time. The Boss will save up to 99 loops. For small cheap loopers without drums, I'd go with the Digitech Jamman Express over the Ditto, as it can be battery powered, has stereo in/out and is cheaper. I like the Boss ones for practice over tracks, and the Digitech for writing. Live I use an EDP, an older looper aimed towards improvisation.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks, but this will be strictly for practice, pretty much like a metronome (but less boring).

So I don't really need to save tracks. If at some later stage, I decide that I'd like to get more adventurous lol, then I'll look into the other stuff...but for now I only need it to improve my timing & maybe work on soloing over something...

Youtube

Comment

That GT6 may have a looper function but I'm not sure but no drum tracks so meh, there used to be the digitech GNX workstation units that were really fantastic for such things, although complicated to use I think & probably above the budget range.

Anyways, is it ok to play drum tracks through guitar speakers? I've read that plugging bass guitars into guitar speakers can sometimes break them, so I'm wondering if the bass drum recording can be played back through one without any trouble. I've not dared plugging a bass into my combo amp so I'm not sure how much of it is actually true so...

Getting back to the G1on, I think you might even like the fx section of the zoom unit to incorporate it into your pedalboard, their current gen stuff has been improved so as a whole it looks like a very small & sweet practice tool to use with headphones or amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post

Anyways, is it ok to play drum tracks through guitar speakers? I've read that plugging bass guitars into guitar speakers can sometimes break them, so I'm wondering if the bass drum recording can be played back through one without any trouble. I've not dared plugging a bass into my combo amp so I'm not sure how much of it is actually true so...
                          It should be fine for drum tracks, but with bass the problem is the bass guitar frequencies are a lot lower and guitar speakers are made for higher frequencies whereas with a bass speaker being made for low guitar can mess those up too I've heard. I've had no problem with mine, except I did notice, on my solid state the drum tracks through the high gain channel still came through clear, but on my tube amp unless running thru the fx loop the gain distorted the drums (i'm using a digitech rp155, It has a great looper and decent drums but you cant use them at the same time ) Zoom I have found to have decent fx built in too, they have definitely improved over the years of the one i have (zoom g1x) This may be more info than you guys wanted, if so I apologize.

Comment

The larger digitech RP Series multifx pedals have loopers as well as drum loops

The older GNX 4 has a looper and a multi track recorder with an .SD card to store your tracks to

The GNX 4 can be acquired used for about $100

*(Sent from my durned phone!)*
                            EHD
                            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
                              That GT6 may have a looper function but I'm not sure but no drum tracks so meh,
                              Yeah exactly, I think it did have one but no drums & the truth is I really had a tough time doing anything with that thing..

I guess it won't really matter at low/bedroom/practice volumes...or maybe I coukld use the line out into my stereo or something..either way, I'm sure they took that into consideration at Zoom when they were making this thing (G1on)

Getting back to the G1on, I think you might even like the fx section of the zoom unit to incorporate it into your pedalboard, their current gen stuff has been improved so as a whole it looks like a very small & sweet practice tool to use with headphones or amp.
                              True, it'll be nice to have the option of Fx/decent usable tones right there in the box...

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X