No announcement yet.

What's your favorite "always on" pedal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's your favorite "always on" pedal?

On my pedal board, my MXR Smart Gate and MXR 10 Band. On my Pod HD500, the Pod HD500.
    Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
    Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
    Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
    Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
    Line 6 Helix
    Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by zenmindbeginner View Post
      Are Flanger pedals cheaper than chorus pedals or something? Never understood someone using a flanger as a chorus... my Clone Theory can do that sound pretty easy.

Definitely schooled me on whether or not Andy used a flanger or chorus... I didn't know about the Electric Mistress.

I think the only thing I knew about Andy's tone was from the endless promotion he did for Roland around the Synchronicity album's success.

Those little books used to have him hook up a CS-2 to CE-2 to BF-2 to DM-2... I used to drool over those when I was 10 years old.
      I might be wrong, but I think the Electric Mistress came out before the first Chorus pedal, which might be the boss one. The Electric mistress is also a different 'flavour' from most flangers, it's not really designed with the fighter jet sound, it's got a very musical and watery tone. The other really big user of the pedal was David Gilmour, if you hear any modulation effects from Animals up until The Final Cut, it's the EHX EM flanger.

I have no doubt that the clone theory can do that, choruses and flangers are based off of the same design ideals, and are (on milder settings) just two different ways of achieving the same thing. Both function as a tiny delay, I'm talking fractions of a second, so small a delay that it sounds like both notes are going off at the same time, though there are some more expensive chorus pedals with a 'time' option where you can drag it out a bit.

This is where they differ, on the second signal, the 'echo', an effect is added. On the Flanger, this is a filter which sweeps through the frequency range. On a chorus this is more likely a light vibrato effect to pull the tunings of the notes, though cheap choruses sometimes don't add a secondary effect. Frequency VS Pitch, essentially. This time-delayed and effected echo is blended with the original signal creating the effect. Like I said before, they are two variations on the same theme. Phasers also work with a time-delay but I actually don't know how they work on the inside other than its a time-delay with a 'phase shift'.

Sorry if you feel I'm being condescending with this, I just find the stuff super fascinating so I wanted to type a few paragraphs about it!
      Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
      I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
      Andrew - None

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyPage View Post
        I might be wrong, but I think the Electric Mistress came out before the first Chorus pedal, which might be the boss one. The Electric mistress is also a different 'flavour' from most flangers, it's not really designed with the fighter jet sound, it's got a very musical and watery tone. The other really big user of the pedal was David Gilmour, if you hear any modulation effects from Animals up until The Final Cut, it's the EHX EM flanger.

I have no doubt that the clone theory can do that, choruses and flangers are based off of the same design ideals, and are (on milder settings) just two different ways of achieving the same thing. Both function as a tiny delay, I'm talking fractions of a second, so small a delay that it sounds like both notes are going off at the same time, though there are some more expensive chorus pedals with a 'time' option where you can drag it out a bit.

This is where they differ, on the second signal, the 'echo', an effect is added. On the Flanger, this is a filter which sweeps through the frequency range. On a chorus this is more likely a light vibrato effect to pull the tunings of the notes, though cheap choruses sometimes don't add a secondary effect. Frequency VS Pitch, essentially. This time-delayed and effected echo is blended with the original signal creating the effect. Like I said before, they are two variations on the same theme. Phasers also work with a time-delay but I actually don't know how they work on the inside other than its a time-delay with a 'phase shift'.

Sorry if you feel I'm being condescending with this, I just find the stuff super fascinating so I wanted to type a few paragraphs about it!
        Loved the explanation! I could sit and read stuff like this for hours. Well said TP!
        Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Working...
        X