Single coil modding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single coil modding

I have a strat with cheap ceramic pickups in it. I replaced the bridge with a Dimarzio Fast 2 which I like. At the moment, it is sitting unstrung because I need to install some new string saddles (long story, not relevant). When I get around to doing so, I'm going to move the Fast 2 to the neck and put a TB-14 in the bridge, though I'll probably convert it to a Custom Custom. That leaves the cheap ceramic middle pickup. Has anyone ever tried removing the stock magnet and slugs from one of these and replacing the slugs with magnetic ones? I'm thinking of doing so with some A2's or maybe UOA5's from AddictionFX. I figure that as long as their the same diameter there shouldn't be a problem. Anyone with any experience here?

Re: Single coil modding

Yes you can replace the non-magnetic slugs with alnico's. It's not a bad way for you to see which grades of magnets you like in which positions. However your end results may vary.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
      Yes you can replace the non-magnetic slugs with alnico's. It's not a bad way for you to see which grades of magnets you like in which positions. However your end results may vary.
      Cool, that's just what I was wondering. Just didn't know if there were any hidden pitfalls involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
        Cool, that's just what I was wondering. Just didn't know if there were any hidden pitfalls involved.
        You might need a dab of superglue to keep the magnets in place once you choose the grade you like.

Comment

single coils are typically wound straight around the poles, rather than having them separated by the plastic of the bobbin in a single coil. so you probably won't be able to remove the poles without wrecking the wire. see this guide for more

Comment

Originally posted by eviltobz View Post
            single coils are typically wound straight around the poles, rather than having them separated by the plastic of the bobbin in a single coil. so you probably won't be able to remove the poles without wrecking the wire. see this guide for more
            Ah, see that's what I was wondering. I still have the one that I removed from the bridge, so I suppose I'll experiment with that one first.

Comment

Originally posted by eviltobz View Post
              That's not 100% true. Vintage single coils often only had a top and bottom plate made of fiber and the coils were wound on the magnets. However most modern single coils actually have a plastic bobbin and the magnets can be replaced because the coils do not come into contact with the magnet.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
                That's not 100% true. Vintage single coils often only had a top and bottom plate made of fiber and the coils were wound on the magnets. However most modern single coils actually have a plastic bobbin and the magnets can be replaced because the coils do not come into contact with the magnet.
                This is what I hope to find when I open one up.

Comment

This is what I hope to find when I open one up.
                  Opened one up today and that is exactly what I found. Now, all I have to do is measure the slugs and order some new ones. Any suggestions for magnet type for the middle pickup?

Comment

That Fast Trac 2 is one heck of a bridge pup. Sure you want to move it to the neck?
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                      That Fast Trac 2 is one heck of a bridge pup. Sure you want to move it to the neck?
                      Not 100% sure, but I have a TB-14 just laying around that I would really like to get some use out of, especially if I put an A2 in it.

Comment

It never hurts to try something new. The least that could happen is that we gain greater experience, knowledge and understanding...not a bad thing, in my book.

So, go for it. If you find that you liked the Fast 2 better, you can always put it back in. If not, enjoy the TB-14.

Good luck on your quest/mod for the middle pup. Keep us informed as to what you find out/experience with your experimentation.
                        Originally Posted by IanBallard
                        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Opened one up today and that is exactly what I found. Now, all I have to do is measure the slugs and order some new ones. Any suggestions for magnet type for the middle pickup?
                          It looks like they only cost about $7 for a set of six http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...gnets&_sacat=0 so I'd get A2, A3, A4 and A5 and try them all out, but an A5 will probably pair best with a coil that was intended to have a ceramic bar underneath. They tend to be wound hotter to accommodate the stronger magnet, and might sound a little too dark and distant with weaker magnets. I'm curious to know what the DC resistance of the coil is. The Ant. I Texas Hots are a hotter wind with a weaker magnet, and it's not the most versatile pickup.

Comment

^^ I'll let you know when I get a chance to put a meter on them. I was thinking A2 just because the guitar body is made of Lucite or something like it, not much bass and very bright.

Comment

Seeing as how I now have a few bar A5's laying around, I think I may just try replacing the bar ceramics with the bar A5's first.

Comment

Working...
                              X