X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can't I dig on Les Pauls?

Let me preface this by saying:

it really pains me, because I think the Les Paul is the most beautiful, iconic solidbody electric guitar ever made. But every time I have played one I have been left cold. The single cutaway bothers me, the weight bothers me, the neck (especially up near the body) bothers me, and the tone is so dark, almost remote sounding to me... They just always felt like I was playing a log.

Maybe i never played a really good one, or maybe i just don't get it.

I mostly play SGs and hollowbodies. I have always wanted a Les Paul but to be brutally honest, only because of their looks.

My main guitar idols (except Iommi and Jimi) all played LPs at some point or another. Am I just a mutant? Am I missing a chromosome? WtF?

sigpic

Re: Why can't I dig on Les Pauls?

Have you just picked one up, played it for a few and then put it down? It may be that you're not giving yourself enough time to adjust.
    2015 Knaggs Steve Stevens SSC T2
    Majik Box Doug Aldrich "Rocket Fuel"
    Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

Les pauls have never been my cup o tea. I never could get into them at all

Comment

I play my LP 99% of the time, and when I which to my PRS or strat, it feels real funky. Gotta give yourself time to adjust
        Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

They're poorly designed guitars in many, many ways. It's not odd at all that you dislike them in real-world use. They were a failure in their day. Then a few famous guitarists took a liking to them once music styles had changed a bit, and they took off in popularity.

I have two carved-top Pauls. They do what they do, but they aren't by any means my favorite guitars, or the world's most versatile guitars. There is some stuff to like about Pauls...and a lot to dislike about them. But one thing is for sure: nothing does the Les Paul thing except for a Les Paul. If you have a use for that thing in your music, then you should have one, because nothing else will do. If you don't have a use for it, then don't bother with them, because they will just frustrate you.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Like Itsabass said....there is more wrong with a LP than there is right, by design. But when you get a good one, there is nothing quite like it
            Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

I play a Les Paul because of the sound. It is distinct and a sound that I like. I have to adapt to deal with the playing-a-huge-brick feeling it has. The scale is a little shorter than Strats and Teles, so at least that lends a small degree of comfort. But for certain music it sounds perfect and cuts through even bad amplification and bad recordings.

Comment

I can tell you this about Les Pauls, you really have to find one that "works" for you. I have owned plenty of strats, and they all seem "connected" as cousins. Even the worst sounding one (to me) having some similarities with the best one. Les Pauls on the other hand seem very "on or off", and it took me going thru several duds before I found one that I really liked.

Of course I talking about the sound, and you mention several things about the physicals. I actually like the way they feel in my hands, but I had to have one that sounded as good.
                -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

I've never been a Les Paul guy either...except for the slab bodied specials.

However...

I repaired a late 80s Custom a couple years ago and I found myself really liking the tone and feel. Very smooth, clear tone. Not sterile, but "clean" is the only way I can describe it. The thing weighed in at over 10lbs though, and that was a huge turn off for me. I like 'em lightweight.

Comment

Y'all are right, I have not logged many hours on a Les Paul. I think I should give them another chance. Recently I have been jonesing for a little deeper, richer tone on leads, without resorting to the neck pickup sound every time. My ES-335 kinda gets me there, but it's still missing that...kind of haunting, pushed sound that I associate with les pauls.

But it's ergonomics too... I'm used to headstock-heavy guitars like SGs, hollowbody gibbys and Rics.

It's not like I *need* another guitar, but a nice, no-frills LP goldtop would be pretty dope.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hydro View Post
                      Y'all are right, I have not logged many hours on a Les Paul. I think I should give them another chance. Recently I have been jonesing for a little deeper, richer tone on leads, without resorting to the neck pickup sound every time. My ES-335 kinda gets me there, but it's still missing that...kind of haunting, pushed sound that I associate with les pauls.

But it's ergonomics too... I'm used to headstock-heavy guitars like SGs, hollowbody gibbys and Rics.

It's not like I *need* another guitar, but a nice, no-frills LP goldtop would be pretty dope.
                      I almost always play my leads on the neck HB, even on my les paul. Most les paul players do as well
                      Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

Why can't you dig a Les Paul?

Because you haven't installed a Whole Lotta Humbucker set in a good one yet...

Comment

Horses for courses, my good fellow. I couldn't get into a strat after being a semi-hollow guy (Ibby 335 clone) at first. I just had to have one, though, for that chimey rhythm sound. So I built one that felt good to me. Advantage, Leo.

The feel of a guitar is like anything else designed for the hands. If you can rock an SG like no tomorrow, plug in and turn up to 11. No regrets.

Maybe an LP Jr. Special or a Melody Maker is more your speed.
                          sigpic
                          "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
                          --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
                          Originally posted by Lewguitar
                          In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

Originally posted by hydro View Post
                            I have been jonesing for a little deeper, richer tone on leads, without resorting to the neck pickup sound every time.
                            And nothing does that like an LP. You can look at LP's as having flaws, or you can look at the design as what makes it sound so good. The short neck, arched top, and single cutaway all give it a deep, rich tone. I like SG's and 335's a lot (my 2nd and 3rd favorite guitar designs), but they just don't hit as hard as an LP.
                            "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                            "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                            "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Hydro, what's your priority, the sound or the feel in your hands? When you establish the criteria, then the evaluation can be more definitive.
                              sigpic
                              "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
                              --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
                              Originally posted by Lewguitar
                              In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

Working...
                              X