• Show
Clear All

Re: Why can't I dig on Les Pauls?

Originally posted by vinta9e View Post
    and detachable headstocks.
    Standard feature on most Gibsons.

Comment

I've got a clone of a PRS singlecut (A PVX kit). I'd agree that while the tone coming out of it is great, its certainly not quite LP like.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
        Standard feature on most Gibsons.
        Yeah, sadly. Doesn't want to reattach itself via ribbon cable and a molex connector though.

Comment

I"m a Fender player and don't like the 24 3/4 scale. But I can get into a Les Paul. After about 10 minutes I start forgetting how clumsy and weird it feels and start liking how much I like the tones and how it is making me play better. It has its place. Playing it sitting is no problem at all. I think it was designed to play it sitting down. Playing standing up at a gig though and I'll take a H/H tele instead even if it doesn't sound exactly alike.

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
            I"m a Fender player and don't like the 24 3/4 scale. But I can get into a Les Paul. After about 10 minutes I start forgetting how clumsy and weird it feels and start liking how much I like the tones and how it is making me play better. It has its place. Playing it sitting is no problem at all. I think it was designed to play it sitting down. Playing standing up at a gig though and I'll take a H/H tele instead even if it doesn't sound exactly alike.
            That's interesting. I find LPs harder to play sitting down and Fender designs easier. Standing, it's the opposite. I don't like the LP shape when sitting down but I like the TOM distance from body while standing.
            There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women, and I am neither one

Comment

Originally posted by Johtosotku View Post
              That's interesting. I find LPs harder to play sitting down and Fender designs easier. Standing, it's the opposite. I don't like the LP shape when sitting down but I like the TOM distance from body while standing.
              i find my LP easy to play both sitting and standing. Maybe a little more sitting. Ive really only played les paul's though, so i guess I'm used to it
              2015 Knaggs Steve Stevens SSC T2
              Majik Box Doug Aldrich "Rocket Fuel"
              Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

It occured to me that when I sit down with an unfamiiar guitar, I almost always run through a series of chords and see how it sounds clean, or clean-ish; and my gold standard for this is hollowbody guitars like Ric 360 or ES-335. This may not be entirely fair for a LP. They are darker and deader on chords, especially part-open chords. My routine is to check out rhythm, cleans and then check out lead tones. It strikes me that the LP is really designed to be an expressive lead/phrasing guitar - more like a human voice, for expression, dynamics, etc. - this is a part of my playing that I have only recently begun to emphasize. The 335 does a lot but it has the 57s in it and it's a little hot. The SGs are great for rhythm and leads without a lot of dynamics... a bit brittle.

Maybe since I have been playing like a tree-swinging ape for so many years, I have not really been in a position to appreciate what a LP with vintage voiced humbuckers can do....

sigpic

Comment

Go watch some old YouTube video of Les Paul and Mary Ford. Then you can get an idea of what Les' style, criteria/needs were all about. Do not forget, it IS a sig guitar.
                  I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
                    Go watch some old YouTube video of Les Paul and Mary Ford. Then you can get an idea of what Les' style, criteria/needs were all about. Do not forget, it IS a sig guitar.
                    To be fair, this **** is far more demanding than what most guys who pick up his sig guitar play.

Originally posted by Myaccount876
                    Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

I've tried at least a dozen Les Pauls of many price ranges, their sound is great but the way they feel just kills me.
                      I don't like a guitar I have to adapt to.

I actually prefer the sound AND feel of SGs. Way easier to play.
                      Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                      Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                      Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                      Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                        I actually prefer the sound AND feel of SGs. Way easier to play.
                        I like SG's a lot too, but they don't sound like LP's. For me, LP's have always been very comfortable and natural. Since they also have the sound I want, they're as good as it gets.
                        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I like Les Paul's but honestly, they are truly an acquired taste. Some are good, some are not. The best one I ever played was probably one of the new Les Paul standards in Wine Red. I don't know what it was about that particular one that I played, but it just felt and sounded right. Probably because of the Compound Radius fretboard, which I'm very much used to. But I've played a good number of good ones, and a good number of bad ones. It's truly a guitar that you have to try tons of them before you can make a final verdict.

That being said, I'm more of an SG or Explorer kinda guy.

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                            I like SG's a lot too, but they don't sound like LP's. For me, LP's have always been very comfortable and natural. Since they also have the sound I want, they're as good as it gets.
                            Wish they were natural to me.
                            With Les Pauls I feel like I'm playing an elephant with strings.
                            Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                            Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                            Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                            Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

My only gripe with LPs are weight and vol knob placement but tone wise I love them. But yes as stated they were meant to replace big hollow bodies on stage where loud volumes would be used.
                              Originally posted by KBliss
                              WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                              Originally posted by trevorus
                              The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Originally posted by Rockstar216 View Post
                                My only gripe with LPs are weight
                                I find a 10 lb LP to be very reassuring. As soon as I start playing them I don't notice the weight for the rest of the night. All I notice is the great tones.
                                "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                                "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                                "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Working...
                                X