Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Product: The Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive

Originally posted by Scott Olson View Post
    There was a bit of a mix-up on the chip used in the 805 Overdrive. Between the time we prepared our original materials and shipping our engineering time had found a superior chip theMC33178. After testing it was determined this chip had superior sonic characteristics along with a lower noise figure and longer battery life.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the review DreX
    Here's my unsolicited idea for a dream overdrive pedal; multiple op amp chip selection in a single pedal, slots for people to put in / switch out their own op amps, along with multi-band EQ (three band would be enough if the treble were affecting a higher frequency, perhaps 3 to 7 kHz). Various 8 pin op amps are easy to get on ebay and they cost almost nothing, all anyone needs is a nice harness.

I got a Biyang OD-8 X-Drive that lets you switch out op amps in the back, but it's a pain to do and could never be done in the midst of playing. It also has the single tone control instead of the three band, and I love the bass/mid knob of the new 805. The different op amps do make a big difference in tone, and it's easy to see why the JRC4558D is so popular, but it's nice to have choices.

Comment

I'd like to see something like the TT-Mayhem with duel parametric mid controls, and an addable duel diode clip that could be sequentially added either before or after the tube stage. With the boost function available as a clean boost. Is this feasible?

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
        I'd like to see something like the TT-Mayhem with duel parametric mid controls, and an addable duel diode clip that could be sequentially added either before or after the tube stage. With the boost function available as a clean boost. Is this feasible?
        Or maybe diode/FET switchable?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
          Which Marshall? There have been dozens.
          I mean that will get you the Marshall Tone.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
            Which Marshall? There have been dozens.
            You know... like, THAT one.

Comment

[QUOTE=DreX;3676429]
              The bass control is most useful, it allows for a full, low end rumble. It's effect is centered at 90kHz according to the booklet. [/QUOTE=DreX;3676429]

Writing a good review is both hard and subjective. While I was going thorough it, three problematic numbers hit me. The bass is 90Khz. That might be out of range for the bass side of the spectrum. The effective frequencies for the mids are at 750Khz, and the highs are at 2.12Khz.

What am I missing?

So far, I have not tried this new pedal. But I am curious, why the utterly contemptible comment about pissing all over the Full Drive II anyhow? These pedals seem to be designed for different jobs.
              That is not dead which can eternal lie,
              And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

[QUOTE=Condemned soul;3679039][QUOTE=DreX;3676429]
                The bass control is most useful, it allows for a full, low end rumble. It's effect is centered at 90kHz according to the booklet.
                Originally posted by DreX View Post

Writing a good review is both hard and subjective. While I was going thorough it, three problematic numbers hit me. The bass is 90Khz. That might be out of range for the bass side of the spectrum. The effective frequencies for the mids are at 750Khz, and the highs are at 2.12Khz.

What am I missing?
                As stated, those are the frequencies listed in the instruction manual that comes with the 805. Regardless of specifics, I like the bass and mid knob, but the treble is centered too low in the spectrum. I look forward to seeing other review of this pedal, though.

Originally posted by Condemned soul View Post
                But I am curious, why the utterly contemptible comment about pissing all over the Full Drive II anyhow?
                I have one, I just don't like it. Every few years I put it in my chain to see if rays from Heaven will beam down upon my tone, but alas, it never happens. I'm also upset by the fact that every few years Fulltone adds a new switch to it or changes the recipe. Are they on version four now? I can't keep track.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Olson View Post
                  There was a bit of a mix-up on the chip used in the 805 Overdrive. Between the time we prepared our original materials and shipping our engineering time had found a superior chip theMC33178. After testing it was determined this chip had superior sonic characteristics along with a lower noise figure and longer battery life.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the review DreX
                  How does that work with the current marketing? That honestly changes the heart of what people think of as the 808. The JRC4558 is maybe not electrically the best, but it's part of the formula. The 805 could probably be better described as inspired by the favorite of many players, the 808, but improved. For better or worse, an 808 involves the 4558 chip, not the MC33178, not the TL072, or TL082, but the original. We're a curmudgeonly bunch, we want the old stuff, the way it used to be, but new and shiny.
                  Last edited by trevorus; 09-08-2014, 09:47 PM.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
                  Originally posted by Securb
                  The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Working...
                  X