New Product: The Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Product: The Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive

A scooped Tubescreamer is like bitter bacon.

Comment

That's because they don't have three band EQ's, you see.

Comment

where can i buy it online in canada

Comment

Ebay?

Comment

Originally posted by XSSIVE View Post
            Hard to justify YATS (yet another tube screamer)...BUT....having B M T on it certainly steps things up!
            Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz View Post
            An 808-style pedal with B/M/T controls = W I N !
            My thoughts exactly. I love having EQ available to make things juuuuust right.

Comment

I just got an SD 805 today, played with it for while and compared it to the Maxon OD808, which is the TS808 circuit.

It's pretty far from being a Tube Screamer knock-off. The pedal is louder, brighter, cleaner and less compressed overall, the clipping isn't quite as smooth, and is focused in a higher frequency range. I can get the SD 805 to sound closest to the Maxon with the volume at 11 o'clock, gain at 1 o'clock, and all three EQ's at 10 o'clock. It's gain range is less, but it's volume range is much greater, so it's got more "volume booster" appeal than the Maxon. I'd say in sum, it sounds a lot more modern than the Maxon.

The bass control is most useful, it allows for a full, low end rumble. It's effect is centered at 90kHz according to the booklet, so the bass remains pretty tight, even when dimed. If anyone ever hated Tube Screamers for the lack of low end, this goes far beyond remedy; it can potentially drown out the bass guitar. It's very well positioned.

The mids control is decent too, it's in the "WAAAAA" range, centered at 750kHz, according to the booklet. Turning this down creates a scooped Tube Screamer, very heavy tone. It really is nice hearing a more mild overdrive in a scooped context, not bright or harsh like so many "transparent" overdrives with flat mids. This thing pisses all over the Full Drive II. Turning the mids up gives a ratty overdrive tone, but this is not it's strong suit.

The treble knob is the weak link. It's not even remotely a presence control, which is a shame since there is a lot of clipping action in the upper frequency range that could be accentuated with such a dial. According to the booklet, it's frequency notch is 2.12kHz, which is a nasally "WEEEEEEEEE" sound, more upper-mids than treble. Turning it down darkens and weakens the overall output, but turning it up creates an irritating, piercing tone, so it's more or less an immobile knob, only sounding passable between 9 and 11 o'clock. I'd like to alter the frequency range of that knob, if possible.

If you like Tube Screamers, you have to get this pedal for bass knob alone.

Comment

^ good review

Comment

dang, that doesn't sound good at all to me....

Comment

Originally posted by qaiso View Post
                    dang, that doesn't sound good at all to me....
                    My review or the sound clips?

I didn't even listen to the sound clips before purchasing, not because I didn't care, but YouTube sound demos really are completely totally through and through useless.

Comment

Sounds cool to me, but I really like my Rhino.

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
                        I just got an SD 805 today, played with it for while and compared it to the Maxon OD808, which is the TS808 circuit.

It's pretty far from being a Tube Screamer knock-off. The pedal is louder, brighter, cleaner and less compressed overall, the clipping isn't quite as smooth, and is focused in a higher frequency range. I can get the SD 805 to sound closest to the Maxon with the volume at 11 o'clock, gain at 1 o'clock, and all three EQ's at 10 o'clock. It's gain range is less, but it's volume range is much greater, so it's got more "volume booster" appeal than the Maxon. I'd say in sum, it sounds a lot more modern than the Maxon.

The bass control is most useful, it allows for a full, low end rumble. It's effect is centered at 90kHz according to the booklet, so the bass remains pretty tight, even when dimed.
                        If anyone ever hated Tube Screamers for the lack of low end, this goes far beyond remedy; it can potentially drown out the bass guitar. It's very well positioned.

The mids control is decent too, it's in the "WAAAAA" range, centered at 750kHz, according to the booklet. Turning this down creates a scooped Tube Screamer, very heavy tone. It really is nice hearing a more mild overdrive in a scooped context, not bright or harsh like so many "transparent" overdrives with flat mids. This thing pisses all over the Full Drive II. Turning the mids up gives a ratty overdrive tone, but this is not it's strong suit.

The treble knob is the weak link. It's not even remotely a presence control, which is a shame since there is a lot of clipping action in the upper frequency range that could be accentuated with such a dial. According to the booklet, it's frequency notch is 2.12kHz, which is a nasally "WEEEEEEEEE" sound, more upper-mids than treble. Turning it down darkens and weakens the overall output, but turning it up creates an irritating, piercing tone, so it's more or less an immobile knob, only sounding passable between 9 and 11 o'clock. I'd like to alter the frequency range of that knob, if possible.

If you like Tube Screamers, you have to get this pedal for bass knob alone.

Thanks for posting.

Now i really need to test one for myself !
                        Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

There was a bit of a mix-up on the chip used in the 805 Overdrive. Between the time we prepared our original materials and shipping our engineering time had found a superior chip theMC33178. After testing it was determined this chip had superior sonic characteristics along with a lower noise figure and longer battery life.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the review DreX

Comment

I think we're all forgetting something very important here.

How's it compare to a Klon?

Comment

Use this with the Way Huge Green Rhino and you don't need to buy a Marshall.

Comment

Originally posted by Letus View Post
                                Use this with the Way Huge Green Rhino and you don't need to buy a Marshall.
                                Which Marshall? There have been dozens.

Comment

Working...
                                X